Skip to main content
Topic: Getting more bass (Read 3999 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting more bass

Heyo everyone, I've been working with MIDI for years now and have finally gotten to turning MIDI (Made in Cakewalk)into WAV files, mixing them (Using Cool Edit Pro), and putting them on CD. The one thing I always find I lack is the ability to get the "Boom" out of MIDI. Bass comes out fine through satilite speakers but it never comes through my, or anyone elses, subwoofer. Is there some special way to 'route' bass to the subwoofer in either MIDI or WAV format? If ANYONE can help I'd appreciate it a lot, thanks!

Romster

Re: Getting more bass

Reply #1
Try using a wave editor or audio sequencer (Cool Edit Pro) on the .wav file resulting from rendering the .mid file.  Go to the equalizer in the wave editor and experiment with boosting the low frequencies until you hear what you are looking for.  You might also try editing the .mid file (in Cakewalk) by transposing the bass track down an octave (-12)before rendering to a .wav file.  HTH

Reply #2
Thanks for the advise, but I've tried that already and all the sound, or at least a majority of it, goes through the satilite speakers. Even when raising the bass the satilites just get distorted without any oomph to the subwoofer at all. :( Also, I was talking of bass in general, including bass drums and what-not.

Reply #3
Perhaps your subwoofer needs to be driven by a separate subwoofer output from the amplifier? Such systems exist.

In an ordinary (woofer/tweeter) self-contained speaker, there is a crossover circuit that steers sound energy according to frequency. But subwoofers use A LOT of electrical energy, all of it at low frequencies. It is more effective to have the subwoofer channel separated within the amplifier.

In fact, it is even more efficient to have a subwoofer channel separated in the source music, so that the amplifier doesn't have to do the separation. Maybe that is what you need to do, but as to how you would do it, I have no clue.

Reply #4
I have to agree with robert...the bass frequencies suck a lot of power from the amplifiers so it's best to run your sub from a separate amp...however, if you are using cool edit, the first thing you may want to do after the conversion (i take it your just re-recording your midi track in the wave editor?) is to normalize the recorded track with a threshold of about -3dB. this will give you some headroom to work with the equalizer. once you have that done, then you can try to add just a touch of compression to keep the output from clipping at levels above 0dB. HTH
mike

Reply #5
I remember reading a reply which complained about the "satilites."
Now I don't see the reply.
Is this forum connected to The Ministry of Truth?

Reply #6
No, this forum is about fishing. When you follow the guidelines about using lures, you will get more bass.

Reply #7
You didn't read a reply which complained about the "satilites."
It did not exist.

The Truth cannot be changed.