Skip to main content
Recent Posts
General Discussion / Re: quarter note's rest out side of the staff
Last post by Mike Shawaluk -
Hello, I refer to this topic with two specific questions.
1. the numerical values of slur.ms, slurCubic.ms, alt ctrl + @,  how are they chosen? In other words, 0 (zero) corresponds to the position of the notehead, to the center line of the staff (in which each space is equal to 1?)...
For most objects, including Slur and SlurCubic, the units of measure in the vertical and horizontal directions are different.  In the vertical, the unit is 1 for each note value. For example, if the object is positioned at G, then a value of 1 would represent the position of an A note (the space between the two lines) and a -2 would represent the position of an E note.  In the horizontal, the unit of measure is the width of a small notehead, i.e., the width of a quarter note. Try adjusting the various parameters for a slur and you'll see how this works.
Last post by lawrroc -
Hello, I refer to this topic with two specific questions.
1. the numerical values of slur.ms, slurCubic.ms, alt ctrl + @,  how are they chosen? In other words, 0 (zero) corresponds to the position of the notehead, to the center line of the staff (in which each space is equal to 1?)...
2. Is it possible to set the direction of slur (the "official" one, ctrl +;) before inserting it? Let me explain: when the stem of the note is up, the direction of the slur is down and vice versa. Each time it is necessary to enter the properties of the note and reverse the direction of the slur. I hope I have explained.
Thanks to you, I wish you a day.
Lorenzo
Last post by Lawrie Pardy -
Hi Frank,
if we use only native NWC features we can't get it quite right without layers, but try this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Clef|Type:Bass
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-1^
|Rest|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Up,VertOffset=6
|Marker|Pos:4
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Slur=Upward
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Slur=Upward,Beam=First
|Marker|Pos:9.5
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The only problem is the minim (half note) is tied to the crotchet (quarter note) on the third beat where the image suggests it should be a slur.  Unfortunately we can't use a slur here without going to layering because it would only reach the rest unless we also extended the slur from the rest in which case it would join with the slur for the top voice that's covering the last 3 notes:
|Chord|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-1
|Bar

|Chord|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-1
|Rest|Dur:4th,Slur|Opts:Stem=Up,VertOffset=6
|Bar

The best fix is to use a slur.ms object:
|User|Slur.ms|Pos:-3|Dir:Downward|Span:3|StartOffsetY:2
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:-1
|Bar
Last post by FrankSit -
To write this in NWC is easy:
  • place the crotchet C and set the stem UP
  • place the minim C by setting the value <2> and then the note <Ctrl+Enter>
  • place the rest <3> for the value, then <space> for the rest
  • select the rest <Shift+Arrow> across it then reposition it vertically <Ctrl+Shift+Arrow>
  • Now enter the rest of the notes as per normal.

Thank you Lawrie for your explanation, but this is a didfficult one for me because I do not even understand the meaning of crochet C . and minim C. Is it like to insert a chord member?.
I already press Ctrl+ Enter, but the half note goes before the a quarter note
Thank you

Frank
Last post by Lawrie Pardy -
Hi Frank,
I'm not certain what the writers intentions actually are, but the split voicing in the basses may be either an expectation that the basses will have some sing one part and others the other part, OR perhaps it is an alternative for a second time through...  Don't know for sure and further context may help, but it doesn't really matter from the point of view of getting the writing to work.

There are only 4 beats in this bar, the crotchet (quarter note) 'C' in the "top" voice is in a chord with the minim (half note) 'C' in the "bottom" voice.  The offset rest is for the top voice only to give a correct beat count for that voice, it is ignored by the bottom voice.

To write this in NWC is easy:
  • place the crotchet C and set the stem UP
  • place the minim C by setting the value <2> and then the note <Ctrl+Enter>
  • place the rest <3> for the value, then <space> for the rest
  • select the rest <Shift+Arrow> across it then reposition it vertically <Ctrl+Shift+Arrow>
  • Now enter the rest of the notes as per normal.

The tie between the minim 'C' and the following crotchet 'C' looks ambiguous - it could be a slur or it could be a tie.  I think I'd use a slur.ms object to get the appearance while, otherwise a tie would stop the top voice from sounding the beat 3 'C' and a slur would interfere with the appearance of the later slur.

The 'p' dynamic in the tenor and not the bass is not unreasonable - it is just setting the dynamic to match the alto (which happens in the next bar), and probably the sop which I guess happens in a following bar we can't see.  The Bass may already be at 'p' from the previous page, OR it may be intended as a strong voice for the rest of the voices to use as a foundation.