Skip to main content
Topic: Hairpin.ms (1.2) (Read 6858 times) previous topic - next topic

Hairpin.ms (1.2)

This object draws a crescendo or decrescendo hairpin at a specified location on the score. The gaps at both
ends, line type and weight are user adjustable, as well as the horizontal and vertical positions of the end points.
This object is ornamental only, and does not affect playback.

Paste the following snippet into NWC 2.75, then go to Tools > Manage Objects to install the object.

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|User|Hairpin.ms|Pos:-8.5|Span:5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
For details on the object's parameters, refer to the context-sensitive help on object's properties page.

Re: Hairpin.ms (1.1)

Reply #1
The Hairpin.ms user object has been updated, with the following changes:

• Addition of menus and anchor boxes to allow interactive parameter editing

Mike

Reply #2
Hi Mike

I'm not convinced that my regular hairpins actually affect my playback. Perhaps I am not doing something correctly. By using a hidden dynamic, I move my hairpins up and down as needed. What other tricks could I learn from this plug-in of yours?

All the best,
SEBC

Reply #3
Regular hairpins will work on playback if you enter dynamics before and after them, hidden or not.

Reply #4
As stated at the top of the topic, Hairpin.ms is an ornament only, and has no effect on playback.  I created it as an alternative to the native hairpins, since it offers more control over the shape, line thickness and position. However, if you want to use Hairpin.ms in place of the native hairpins, you can insert "cresc." and "decresc." commands between dynamics, but make them invisible. (I'm not aware of a way to enter a native hairpin that is not visible, other than putting it on a hidden staff)

Reply #5
As stated at the top of the topic, Hairpin.ms is an ornament only, and has no effect on playback.  I created it as an alternative to the native hairpins, ...
Sorry, Mike, I was writing about the native hairpin in response to SEBC.  I should have been clearer. 

Reply #6
In what circumstances would I want something different than the native tool?

Reply #7
In what circumstances would I want something different than the native tool?

There are many circumstances.

Here are a few.
You need to have the hairpin at a different vertical height to the last dynamic.
You need a hairpin  that is immediately after a dynamic not to collide with the dynamic.
You need a sloping hairpin.
You need to start a new hairpin (of the same direction), immediately after the last one - no gaps inbetween.
You need to have two different hairpins for different voices on an SATB or even the Grand staff.

There are probably a few more.

R.

Rich.

Reply #8
Can I have one additional feature? - namely an "opening gap": In older scores, long hairpins wrapping over line breaks would start on subsequent lines already somewhat open ... Yes, a rare thing, but seems simple, and would make for a complete feature.

H.M.

Reply #9
The Hairpin.ms user object has been updated, with the following changes:

• Addition of a closed gap parameter (to allow hairpins that are open at both ends)

Mike

Re: Hairpin.ms (1.2)

Reply #10
Note that the existing "Gap Height" parameter is renamed to "Open Gap Height" and the new parameter is called "Closed Gap Height". I chose these names, rather than "left gap" and "right gap" so that backward compatibility will be maintained.

Let me know if you encounter any issues with the updated object, as my testing was fairly brief (but then, the change was relatively simple)

Reply #11
Nice - now I can do something like in the attachment (prints nicely on A4 format; don't know about American page formats).

One small suggestion: Provide an explicit keyboard shortcut for the Closed Gap; the implicit C does not work (it is used by NWC's Class selector).

H.M.

Reply #12
One small suggestion: Provide an explicit keyboard shortcut for the Closed Gap; the implicit C does not work (it is used by NWC's Class selector).
Fixed. I noticed there were two shortcuts using X, so I changed one of them. (I cheated and did not update the version number)

Reply #13
Perfect! Thanks.