Skip to main content
Topic: Colors (Read 2504 times) previous topic - next topic

Colors

Is it possible to make some of the notes etc on a staff red (or whatever color)? I see the color tab in Tools but have no idea how to use it, or even just what it colors. It does *not* work like the color function in MS Word, where you just highlight and click on the desired color.

And does anyone know why help files never tell you how to issue a command, even if they go into great detail about what the command does?

Stephen

Re: Colors

Reply #1
Select just one option for each step:

• Select the objects you want to colour
    • if using the mouse: left-click to the left of your selection, then hold down the button and drag across until you have all your selection highlighted
    • if using the keyboard: move the cursor just in front of where you want to start using the arrow-keys, press and hold the <SHIFT> key, then use the right-arrow key to select your objects
  • Open the editor screen:
    • left-click in the menus for Edit | Properties
    • right-click for Properties
    • on the keyboard hold <ALT> and press <ENTER>
    • press <ALT>, then press <E>, then press <O>
    • hold <CTRL> then press <E>
  • Move to the Visibility Tab
    • click on it with the mouse
    • hold <CTRL> and press <TAB>.  Repeat until you have selected the appropriate Tab
  • Move to the "Item color" drop-down box
    • click on the box with the mouse
    • hold <ALT> and press <C>
    • press <TAB>.  Repeat if you need to until you're in the right place
  • Open the drop-down selection if it isn't already
    • click in the box that has the word Default
    • click on the down-pointing triangle
    • press the <DOWN-ARROW>
  • Select the colour you want
    • click on it
    • press <H> This is the initial letter of the colours as they appear in the list.  Repeat until you get to the right colour
    • press the <DOWN-ARROW>.  Repeat to get to the right colour.
  • Make it happen
    • click the OK button
    • press the <TAB> key.  Repeat until the OK button is selected.  Then press <ENTER>
    • press <ENTER>.  Press <ENTER> again.
The wonderful thing about window interfaces is that they're intuitive, and things can usually be done in many ways - with or without the mouse.  Not all programs behave in the same way, but it doesn't take much experimentation (with a copy of your work) to find out how to get what you want.  Just going through the menus and noticing what happens is a good way to learn, even if the help seems to miss out a step.

Most Windows-based programs (including NWC) ask if you're sure before over-writing something, so we needn't be afraid to mangle something that's just on-screen - the mess isn't saved until you want it to be!

To change colour, I use the last option for each step; I find it's the quickest way for me.  (Steps 5 and 6 merge into one step!)

Reply #2
!i(
Most Windows-based programs (including NWC) ask if you're sure before over-writing something, so we needn't be afraid to mangle something that's just on-screen - the mess isn't saved until you want it to be!
)

And even if it does mangle, there's always Ctl-Z (undo).

Reply #3
Thanks! It's remarkably easy once you know how, and it really *is* like the color function of MSWord, once you know where everything is.

Stephen