Skip to main content
Topic: Not an Nwc question but... (Read 3370 times) previous topic - next topic

Not an Nwc question but...

This is not an NWC question but I need to know.  I am starting to learn how to play the violin.  Since I have not started lessons yet I know almost next to nothing about playing it.  I know that the left hand controls the pitch by pressing down on it at different positions to make the part of the string before your hand not count.  How are you supposed to know the pitch of the note?  How do you put a finger on a string, move your bow across and before the note sounds, know what note you are playing like a C or a
Bb?  I don't think there is a thing that shows how short or long the string must be to produce the pitch you need.

Re: Not an Nwc question but...

Reply #1
How do you put a finger on a string, move your bow across and before the note sounds, know what note you are playing like a C or a Bb?

Practise, a good ear, practise, a good teacher, practise, and more practise.

Want an even more challenging instrument to try to hit the right notes? Try a theremin sometime...

Reply #2
For that matter, think of singing. No frets in the voice box!

Reply #3
No frets?  I do a lot of fretting when I'm rehearsing!

Robin

Reply #4
I stopped fretting after Ertugral taught us how to say "microtonal accidentals." Now my off-key notes sound sophisticated.

Reply #5
HAHAHAH!
Ev

Reply #6
I'll try that one next time the M.D. says "I think you were slightly below the note there"!