Skip to main content
Topic: Vince R. (Read 2537 times) previous topic - next topic

Vince R.

So I finally have access to the newsgroup however all the sudden im unable to send or reply messages.  This comes up:

The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'vinz', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Sigh, unbeliveable.  Ive done what i can but im not sure exactly wahts wrong.

Vince R.

Re: Vince R.

Reply #1
Hi Vince,
looks like you've somehow changed the outgoing mailserver for your OE email account.

Go to the properties of the email account and click the Servers tab.

On this page, look at the Outgoing mail [SMTP] field and it will say SMTP instead of what it should be... which I cannot tell you as I don't know what your outgoing mail server should be.

If incoming mail is working OK then copying the Incoming mail [POP3] details will probably work unless your ISP uses different servers for incoming and outgoing mail.

If the incoming mail server has a name like pop.domain.com then making the outgoing one smtp.domain.com could well work.

An easy way to check if a mail server is available is to use telnet.  The command telnet mail.domain.com 25 will attempt to connect to an SMTP server (port 25) called mail.domain.com.

Do this from a "DOS box", the same as we did when testing for port 119 access a couple of days ago.

When you get a successful connect, do please type quit <Enter> - it probably won't echo so you won't see the characters - to clear the connection.  It will eventually time out but we want to be polite...

Lawrie

Reply #2
... and there's the name-thing. But I already mentioned that in the newsgroup.

Reply #3
That would be a different account Rob.  This problem is with his email, not the news account..

Nevertheless, I agree.  The Name detail should be changed on the General tab of his news account.  A fitting alternative would be... Vince R. ...

Lawrie

Reply #4
Well, I can post mail.  I just cant reply i guess. I just sent in a "test"  message.  So yeah ill just do that.  well see.