Skip to main content
Topic: Converting from Piano to Guitar (Read 3351 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting from Piano to Guitar

I should start by saying I'm not a very good pianist, so until someone better shows up, I tranpose hymns on NWC so I can play them.
Also I have no idea how to play guitar or read or comprehend chords.

Sometimes our guitarist cannot figure out what to play on the guitar to match with the hymnal, so he doesn't play that particular hymn.  Is there a way using NWC to AUTOMATICALLY generate the proper guitar chords or staffs or whatever using the available piano score?

One guitarist plays an "old fashioned style" guitar that plugs into an amp, one plays bass and I don't know what the other one plays.  (Just in case music is different for each type of guitar! ?????)

I don't care about the MIDI file, just the sheet music.

TIA

Re: Converting from Piano to Guitar

Reply #1
G'day carstowal,
NWC won't do an automatic chord analysis for you.  That's one you need to do yourself...

For the most part it isn't hard - unless the composer has used some really obscure voicings.

If you can read the piano score well enough you should be able to get a pretty good idea from the bass...

E.G  If the chord being played is a C then you'll usually have a C in the bass, in fact, you may only have a C in the bass - depends on the complexity of the song/hymn.  you will, of course, need to take into account the key signature...  If there's a C in the bass but the key signature has a sharp on the C space then the note is really a C#, not a C afterall.  That kind of stuff.

The bass player should be able to work with that pretty well, even if s/he has to write it out as letters before hand.

The guitarist can probably also work from that too.  Even if they can't read "chicken scratchings" all the guitarists I've ever met can at least tell you what the name of the chord they're playing is and how to finger a particular chord, so if they know what the bass is playing they're halfway there.

In addition, they can usually pick the progressions pretty well so providing they get a reasonable start then they should be OK.

In the end though, there's really no substitute for spending some time and learning the theory - the basics are really easy, especially if you are fairly comfortable at a keyboard as it's all laid out for you.

E.G. A C major chord is simply C E G.  Look at your piano, C to D is a tone, D to E is a tone, so the "gap" between the first 2 notes is 2 tones.  Then E to F is a semitone and F to G is a tone, so the "gap" between the second and third note is 1 1/2 tones.  This holds true for EVERY major chord.  If you want a minor chord, then shift the second note down a semi tone so the gaps are now 1 1/2 tones from C to Eb and 2 tones from Eb to G

Reality check

Now, the reality is that you don't often see a simple major triad, you usually end up with different "voicings" where the C might be the middle note or the last note of the chord, then you also have 7th's added etc.  Nevertheless, the basics remain the same.  No matter what the voicing, a C major triad is C E G, or E G C or G E C - same 3 notes just different orders or voicings or inversions - analogous, but not quite perfectly interchangeable terms...

Things do get more complex than that and I recommend you look at any of the good theory books that abound both on paper and on the net.

A quick search on google gave me these:
http://www.musictheory.net/
the basic chord lesson from this site is:
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/html/id40_en.html

This site hase some freebies at the bottom of the page:
http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/lessons.html

This one also looks like it might be OK:
http://gardenofpraise.com/keybdles.htm

That search took just a couple of seconds - literally.  If you don't find those sites helpful there are plenty of others.

One other thing I should mention - with your theory, like playing your piano, the more you practice the better you get.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
If you are desperate send me the hymns as MIDI files (dont include repeated sections - just chorus, verse).
And I will send back the chords and bass line as PDF files.
(You will find my Email address in the members list).

You could also do it yourself for chords using GNMidi (Google that).

Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

Reply #3
There are a few websites that have guitar chords with lyrics. Some cost membership and some are free.

Reply #4
NWC will not extract chords, but Myriad Software's Melody Assistant or Harmony Assistant just might.  Google them to find the web site and download a free, mostly functional demo and try it out.