Skip to main content
Topic: Lyrics long dash (Read 2965 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics long dash

How do you put a long underscore dash after a word or syllable when it relates to a long note, seeing as the underscore, which is normally used as a dash in printed music, is used to space un-syllabilised notes.

Re: Lyrics long dash

Reply #1
I have done that by putting the underline dash on either a layered or adjacent staff using a row of em dashes (Alt + 0151). Adjust the lyric offset on that staff until the dash is in the correct vertical position. Use spaces or change the default lyric alignment (Standard Rules or Start of Note) for the staff to adjust horizontally. Make sure that the staff used for the long dash has the same number of lyric lines as the staff that needs the dash and that the dash is put on the correct lyric line so it highlights on playback at the correct time.

You could also add the row of em dashes as text, which may be easier. However, the underline will not be highlighted on playback in that case.

Reply #2
Thanks Brian, have tried, only trouble is, it is still a dash even though it is longer.

Reply #3
I would like to see Noteworthy change the key for entry of lyric spaces from the underscore to say carat ^ ,shift+6, or some other rarely used lyric key maybe # , shift+3, the underscore is needed for the lines extending the syllable in print.

Reply #4
Finally I've been able to do what I wanted. I can now put a line like an underscore in the lyrics, after a word that relates to a long note to indicate the syllable is sustained. I made a symbol in Corel and exported it to a copy of a font that I use for lyrics and substituted it for '^' Shift+6,.Then changed the name to 'Font2' and installed in fonts folder. Works well,remebering to set that font up in Page setup as Lyric font, but you have to do it for the font you use. I use Verdana a lot. Also Arial is OK and Times New Roman. Some fonts wont respond.

Reply #5
"...have tried, only trouble is, it is still a dash even though it is longer."

A dash is really the same thing as an underscore. They are both just horizontal lines. They are distinguished by their vertical position relative to the line of text. If a dash can somehow be moved slightly downward, it will be indistinguishable from an underscore. It happens that this can be done in NWC by using either a layered or an adjacent (on the lyrics' side) staff to hold the dash and adjusting the lyrics offset downward for that staff. What is actually a dash then looks like an underscore.

A customized font works for the purpose also, but the font must be changed on every computer with which the NWC file will be used. This can be a nuisance if one intends to distribute one's files. It is usually best for this reason to keep the use of non-standard fonts to a minimum.

Reply #6
Thanks Brian, I wonder if ir is possible to turn a symbol i.e the line I have made into an Asci or ansi character?

Reply #7
If you have the technology to create fonts, you can make a long line as a font item. That's the hard way to do it, though! Not recommended.

Keep in mind that you can use Print preview > Copy to create a metafile of each page of your NWC composition. Each metafile can be placed in the page of a word processing document. From there, you can use the word processor's own editing capability to add lines, add more text, graphics, whatever.