Skip to main content
Topic: Winamp plugin temp files (Read 4657 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp plugin temp files

I noted that very often I have lots of empty (i.e. 0 length) files in my temp directory.
These files are called nwcxx.tmp, with xx a progressive hex number.

I think I can say that these files are relics generated by the NWC Winamp plugin.
Am I right?

Re: Winamp plugin temp files

Reply #1
The NWC Winamp plugin certainly creates temp files that match that description. It is surprising though that:

• they are empty files, and that
  • they are not deleted when Winamp closes

Do you ever open an empty *.nwc file into Winamp?

Reply #2
There are actually two cases where the Winamp plugin creates temp files:

• A temp file is uses to create a MIDI file representation of the *.nwc file, which is then used by play back
  • If the binary *.nwc file appears to have been downloaded as ASCII with improper CRLF translation, the CRLF translation is reversed into a tempo file

In both cases, the NWC plugin has mechanisms to delete the temp files. Perhaps one of those mechanisms is broken.

Reply #3
A temp file is uses to create a MIDI file representation of the *.nwc file, which is then used by play back

That's very logical. Indeed, while winamp is running or when Winamp crashes, one of those files is not empty.

It seems that a file of that kind is created every time I start winamp, no matter what kind of files are in the current playlist.
But after some checks I can say more: if you play an NWC file, then that file is filled, used and deleted. If you don't play any NWC file that (empty) file remains.

Reply #4
Thanks. I'll look into this.

Reply #5
I forgot a detail: I'm still using winamp version 5.35.
Maybe something has changed since then. I don't know.

Reply #6
No, this is the fault of the NWC plug-in. It will be fixed.