Skip to main content
Topic: New String Set (Read 2443 times) previous topic - next topic

New String Set

I was wondering if anyone knew of a better set of string sounds that could be added to Noteworthy Composer? The set set that NWC comes with (violin, viola, cello, contrabass) leaves much to be desired. Does anyone have any ideas? Or should I make due with what I have?

- Wade

Re: New String Set

Reply #2
Wade, you refer to "The set set that NWC comes with".  In fact the sounds "come with" your PC not with NWC.  NWC just tells your PC which note to play on which instrument.  It is up to your PC (with your soundcard) to simulate the sound from the instrument.  Some PC/soundcards achieve much nicer results than others but NWC has no part in this.

Having said that, do ensure that NWC is using your favourite sound producer as its Midi Playback device - see Options on the Tools menu and look at the Midi tab.

Stephen

Reply #3
I have found that MIDI bowed stringed instrument sounds on almost any sound setup are usually not as accurate sounding as all the other sounds. Bowed strings are more difficult both to synthesize and to sample. The timbre of the sound may be duplicated fairly accurately in some instances, but the timbre changes too much in different styles to have just one sound for a violin family instrument. A careful use of MIDI controllers can help, but it seldom turns out "just right."

That said, you might consider using String Ensemble 1 or 2 for a better string orchestra sound. I prefer these for strings unless there is a solo or one instrument to a part as in a string quartet. If this is the case, try using Mod-Wheel MPCs for a vibrato effect and Expression MPCs for phrasing. Take a look at the NWC Scriptorium for many examples of how submitters have (or have not) made good use of string sounds.

Reply #4
Before I had Soundblaster Live, I found that doubling violin with fiddle produced a better sound. It might work with your sound card.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995