Skip to main content
Topic: Hello there! (Read 2897 times) previous topic - next topic

Hello there!

Hey! I'm new to the Noteworthy Community.

I will give a brief Bio:

Name: Matt
Nationality: Canadian
Instruments played: Alto/Tenor Sax, Clarinet, Guitar/Bass, Mandolin, Consortina, Harmonica, D Fife, Trumpet, Piano, COWBELL!!!, and other rather odd percussive instruments.

I have private training in Clarinet playing, notation, and theory (for 9 or 10 years now) and have somewhere around a Grade 6 RCM level (with first class honours).

I had private training for 1 year in Alto Sax playing - and the other various studies.

I'm a self taught guitarist. I've been playing the guitar for 3 years now, but I have the level of a semi-professional. I do Jazz, Rock, some Metal, Blues, Funk, Ska, Reggae, and a little bit of Classical.

I'm a self taught D Fife-ist (?). I learned how to read the music for the D Fife, and quickly forgot.

The other instruments I play are just for fun. I mean I can only get by playing "Chop-sticks" and "Mary had a little lamb" on the piano - and "Low rider" on the Trumpet. I hack and noodle around on percussion instruments (but I can read the musical scores!!). I have to say, though, I am the GRAND MASTER at the Cowbell. Such a fine instrument.

NOW. I love composing. I love NoteWorthy Composer. I bought it. I'd rather pay $30(sum) for Noteworthy than an "arm and a leg" for programs like Finale.

I am a newbie at composing - and I'm having trouble finding out how to make a conductor's score in Noteworthy.

AND

Is there a faster way to transpose instruments.? E.g. Transpose a "C" Guitar to a "F" French Horn (to change the key signature and note placement as well)

I know how to transpose manually, but automatic transposition will save me time :)

AND

Where is the Crescendo option???!! :(

I am very excited to talk to you all in the near future!

Cheers,

Matt

Hi

Re: Hello there!

Reply #1
G'day Matt,
welcome to the community.

That's quite a few instruments you fiddle about on ;)  Nothing like a bit of versatility I reckon.

Conductors Score - best to check out the Scripto for examples:

nwc-scriptorium.org

In NWC virtually everything you do is effectively a conductors score.  You can then choose to extract parts at print time...

Now, transposing...

If you select a staff and press <Alt-T>, <T> you'll get the staff transpose dialogue.

This will allow you to select how many semitones and in which direction you want the music to move.

The "Update staff playback transposition" is about having MIDI play the staff back in the right "place".

To give an example, suppose you have a score with a vocal line and you want to play the vocal line on you trumpet.  You can use NWC to play back the rest of the score but if you play the vocal line as written it will, of course, sound a tone low.  So ya gotta fix it.

Select the vocal staff; press <Alt-T>, <T> (|Tools|Transpose| menu option); choose "2" in the "Transpose by how many semitones:" box and make sure "Update staff playback transposition" is checked.  This is important or the playback of the vocal staff would be a tone too high.

Now, you have a vocal line transposed for the trumpet, and the playback will still be at concert pitch so you'll hear if you play a wrong note ;).  You can play along with your own personal accompaniment.

You would only want to uncheck "playback transposition" if you were moving the whole song to a new key.

In NWC1 crescendo and decrescendo are directives under the |Tools|Dynamic Variance| menu option.

In NWC2 you can also highlight a range of notes and select "<" or ">" to add a functional "hairpin".  Note that you MUST have dynamic markings for the variances to work, and they do not work on sustained notes - there are other techniques around this.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Welcome to the community, Matt.  Lots of Canadians on this forum, even some much older ones like me.

Good selection of instruments, but how come no banjo?  Very handy if you end up playing trad jazz.  Suggest you take some lessons on guitar or piano.  I never did, so I'm at a tremendous disadvantage when trying to work with chords.

To build a score, start with File/New/Blank Score.  Add staffs by pressing Control and A.  Staff properties can be set by pressing F2.  This allows you to select the type of bar line.  For a score, you likely want "orchestral" because it connects staffs.

Transposition is very easy, one staff at a time.  Go to the staff you want to transpose, then press Alt, T, T.  Designate the number of semitones up or down.  It will update your key signatures, and optionally, leave the transposed part playing in the original pitch - this is handy if you want a transposed orchestral score to be played back. 

Hairpins for crescendo and diminuendo are done by highlighting the notes and then pressing shift and and < or >.  You can also use the spellout out expressions by pressing y for Dynamic variance.  If you want to hear the effect on playback, you have to have a starting and ending dynamic marking - i.e.- start from p and end with f.

As with any program, the Help menu is your friend (Alt H or just F1). .  Sometimes you have to explore it a bit, because the terms may not be the ones you're accustomed to.  Anytime you're stuck, a question in the forum will usually get a response or three within a few hours.

Reply #4
In NWC2 you can also highlight a range of notes and select "<" or ">" to add a functional "hairpin".  Note that you MUST have dynamic markings for the variances to work, and they do not work on sustained notes - there are other techniques around this.
NWC2 also has many other advantages.  For instance, X, Diamond, and Invisible noteheads are available.

I recommend that you download some of Lawrie Pardy's fonts.

Reply #5
:0

Wow! Thank you all very much for spending your time helping me out!
Hi