Skip to main content
Topic: guitar chord letters (Read 3041 times) previous topic - next topic

guitar chord letters

can someone please tell me if it is possible to put guitar chord letters in a treble staff rather than notes.
also I want to print a blank staff page for guitar is this possible?
thank you
shirley smeaton

Re: guitar chord letters

Reply #1
You can place "text" wherever you wish. The "text" can be from any TrueType font installed on your computer, whether or not it consists of letters. Find a font that contains the desire combination of letters, numerals, accidentals, and perhaps other symbols, and specify it as one of your user fonts in page setup. (Does anyone know a particularly useful font for this purpose?) The text can be placed within a staff, if you wish, at various heights; or it can be placed above or below the staff.

If you wanted fret-diagram notation (finger charts), a font with the right notation can be chosen as a user font and placed as "text." On the Internet, there is a package of 3 fonts called Frets A, B, and C. I believe -- but am not certain -- that these are free for home usage. (If you find them, be sure to read the restrictions, if any.)

You can use NWC to print blank staff paper. NWC does not do this automatically, though. Instead, create a "composition" with several staffs. On the top staff, insert enough garbage notes to expand the width of the staff (see the effect in print preview). Then, hide the notes on the top staff.

But if you have no need other than blank staff paper, there are free resources on the Internet that specifically do that. You may also discover that your word processing program has blank music staff paper as a template -- possibly as an optional feature somewhere on the original CD-ROM.

Reply #2
One other thing -- if you place letters in your staff *instead of* notes, then you can't get a MIDI output. However, you can place notes in the usual manner, make them invisible, then superimpose your letters as text. The printout will show the letters, and the MIDI output is derived from the (hidden) notes.

Reply #3
please help me to learn all of the letters on guitar

Reply #4
Jerry,

This is well outside the realm of Notation Processors, and I suggest you find a guitar tutor (real or book form, your choice) to help you with this.