Skip to main content
Topic: Transposing prob - changes notes not keys (Read 6814 times) previous topic - next topic

Transposing prob - changes notes not keys

I have written a piece in key of C.  I want to change it to Eb (3 flats) and so I go to Tools|Transpose - 3 semi tones - OK.  It moves all the notes correctly, but places flats beside them and doesn't change the key signature at all.  I do not know where I am going wrong.  Can someone help me?  I have this happen is several pieces - all except the very first piece I entered.  If I transpose it, everything works properly.

Re: Transposing prob - changes notes not keys

Reply #1
Make sure you have a key signature, even if the key is C major.

The only exception might be a percussion track.

You may also notice that if you save the file as a midi, every track takes the key sig of the first track.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Yeah, what Rick said.  It's a common error.  When something is in the key of C, it's easy not to actually set a key signature at the beginning "to the key of C", since it looks like it's already there (well, no sharps or flats, okay).

Just go to the beginning of the staff, press the "g" key on the keyboard, and select "C" from the popup menu.  NWC will insert a non-printing natural sign as an indication that the piece is in the key of "C".

Hope this helps, and don't feel bad.  I would bet that we've all done this at one point or another.

Reply #3
I'm sorry, I hate replying to my own replies, but I meant to say hit the "k" key to change the "key" of the piece.  It's too early in the morning here and the coffee is just now finishing brewing.  Hopefully my brain will actually be engaged shortly.

John

Reply #4
I hope your brain will be engaged to a beautiful brain.

Reply #5
What's the world coming [abbr=Grammar Police:  Is this a preposition?  Am I allowed to use this word here?  Is there some sort of grammar-prison I will have to go to?  Oops, have I done it again?]to[/abbr]?  Short engagements!  Marrying for beauty!!  There'll be tears before bedtime!!!

Reply #6
Yes, tears of laughter, thanks. Nearly bedtime anyway, in the Amsterdam timezone.

Reply #7
Yes, Ewan - "To what is the world coming?"
I think only the most pedantic of grammar police (like my Grammar - um, I mean, Grandma!) would take issue with you on this one!

Robin

Reply #8
Ewan, I'm going to allow that one.
It's idiomatic.
[I've been out on the town having drinks with the boys, so I'm feeling generous.]

Reply #9
Hey! I noticed that there someone like you (Graham R.) here is, so let you me everything try! And by the way, does anyone understand the word order in the senteces above?

Reply #10
datkind - It's either German or Yoda!

Reply #11
Klingon?