Skip to main content
Topic: A Novice's Question About MIDI playback (Read 4404 times) previous topic - next topic

A Novice's Question About MIDI playback

I recently had my computer crash so I had to get a new one. I have a new soundcard and upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. So, on NWX, when I click on "Tools" on the command bar and then "Options..." and go to the "Midi" tab I can see that I have the "Microsoft Midi Mapper" and "Microsoft GS Wave Synth" under "available play devices" but I am missing a play device that was called something like "Creative Playback Device" or something like that.

I'm guessing that I no longer have the (I think it was called something like) "Creative Audiology Sound Blaster" soundcard that came with my old Dell when I bought it five or six years ago and that's why it's not there anymore.

So my Questions are: In order to get that old playback midi file do I need to go out and buy that old soundcard or can I just download the playback files somewhere online? And if I have to go buy an old Sound Blaster soundcard will it be compatible with my new soundcard that came with my old PC?

Re: A Novice's Question About MIDI playback

Reply #1
At the end I meant to ask if I go out and buy that soundcard (or a similar soundcard) that came with my old PC will it have a problem working with the soundcard on my new PC.

Reply #2
Well, I installed my old SBLive in my new computer for I like the idea of having 2 HW synths using soundfonts (and for free, since I already had that soundcard).

The only problem, but a very specific one, was that I like to use the original front panel jacks of my PC.
I solved the problem by connecting the SB line output to the line in input of the embedded soundcard.
In this way I simply set once the levels of the SB mixer and from then on I use the standard mixer Aux input as a MIDI volume.

So, as long as you have the right kind of slot free for it, I think you shouldn't have any problem.

Reply #3
can I just download the playback files somewhere online?
Probably, but they will not help. Windows 7 requires different files than those that worked with Windows XP.

do I need to go out and buy that old soundcard?
NoteWorthy will work with Windows 7 if it supports MIDI playback. Usually, one just selects: "Microsoft Midi Mapper" for Devices used by play back in the Midi Options Dialog Tab. If you are satisfied with playback, stop there.

will {that soundcard (or a similar soundcard)} have a problem working with the soundcard on my new PC?
This is a bit like asking: "how high is up?"
There is no inherent bar to using more than one soundcard. Newer computers handle multiple soundcards better than older ones.

The above assumes that neither of the computers is a laptop.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Windows 7: I ovelooked the detail.
You know, I just ugraded (...was forced to upgrade...) from 2000 to XP...

Reply #5
The SoundBlaster Audigy is a card that uses sound fonts, which are - basically - little sound files your computer can draw on to use to make music. The sound fonts are arranged by number in your machine, and the soundcard's MIDI generator calls them by those numbers when it needs them. The problem with this setup is that different soundcards call the same sounds by different numbers, so - for instance - if your score calls for a cello you may get an oboe instead when you change cards. There is a standard, called General MIDI (GM for short) which at least one set of fonts on every card usually conforms to, and it is usually the default set. So if you never changed font sets on your old card, your stuff will probably at least play the same instruments through the Microsoft MIDI mapper or wavetable synth (which usually go to the same place: that is, the mapper simply maps sounds from the synth). The sound will be another matter. Microsoft's GM sounds are nowhere near as good as the sounds you had available on your Audigy. You will probably want to spend some time getting familiar with how computer sound works and finding a way to get sounds that appeal to you. But the starting point is to go (as you have) to the MIDI tab under tools: options - click on either the synth or the mapper in the "available play devices" box - and then click on the button with the right-pointing arrow on it between the two windows. This will move whichever playback device you've highlighted over to the "devices used by playback" box. That should at least get NWC to produce sound from your machine, and you can take it from there.

Reply #6
G'day chcfan83,
firstly, welcome aboard.  Now, I think the real thing to ask is why you're looking for this particular MIDI playback device?  Is it simply because that's what you've been familiar with, or is it that you prefer the sound quality?

If the latter, had you played with soundfonts or did you simply use the defaults? 

If you have the processing power (and a new Win7 box should) then there is an alternative you could have a play with that will only cost you downloads.  I have a guide on the Scripto for setting up a VST platform that gives you access to lots of things to play with.  However, it was written from a 32 bit system and some of the products mentioned appear not to have 64 bit versions so you might need to do some exploring to find 64 bit alternatives if you have a 64 bit Win7 installation.

It's in the explanations section of the helpful files page:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Explanations

This is the direct link:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful/vstfdum.pdf

While it is intended to be a relatively simple guide, the fact is that the subject matter is detailed and can take some time to understand.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.