Skip to main content
Topic: ¥Weeds¥ General MIDI SoundFont v3.0 (Read 6521 times) previous topic - next topic

¥Weeds¥ General MIDI SoundFont v3.0

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been an NWC user since version 1.x (I honestly forget which ".x" version, it's been so long, currently I have installed and use version 1.75). Anyhow, throughout the year(s) I've noticed a bit of discussion about soundfonts.

Back in March I released a custom soundfont of mine, "¥Weeds¥ General MIDI SoundFont v3.0", and had posted several announcements around the Internet about it. I just realized that I hadn't posted anything here about it (or had posted any other messages here at all, for that matter).

Anyways, a full description is here -> richnagel*net/#soundfonts . Downloads (hosted at Ian Luck's web site; he's the creator of the freeware media player "XMPlay", as well as the "Bass" sound programming libraries) here -> un4seen*com/download*php?extra/WeedsGM3 .

Hope y'all like it, and it proves useful to someone :)

Rich

(Edit) Apparently I didn't have the proper membership level to post URLs, I've substituted asterisks (* = .) so's I could post the links. Sorry about that, I hope the admins/moderators don't mind.

Re: ¥Weeds¥ General MIDI SoundFont v3.0

Reply #1
Thank you for the links.
I'll check the soundfont.

Since XMPlay can use the WinAmp plugins I checked if it can play the NWC files.
The result is:
---------------------------
Unsupported Plugin
in_nwc.dll "NWC File Player (2.0)"

This plugin is not supported by XMPlay because it uses it's own output.

Reply #2
Thank you for the links. I'll check the soundfont.

You're welcome, and I hope you like it :)

Since XMPlay can use the WinAmp plugins I checked if it can play the NWC files. The result is:
Unsupported Plugin
in_nwc.dll "NWC File Player (2.0)"

This plugin is not supported by XMPlay because it uses it's own output.

Correct. Unfortunately, even though that XMPlay supports many of the WinAmp input plugins, the WinAmp NWC plugin isn't one of them :(

Reply #3
P.S. (re: the NWC WinAmp plugin with XMPlay):

I had posted a message over in the XMPlay forums (back in January), but had never received any replies. I just bumped that thread over there, hopefully someone can come up with something to possibly get it working :)

www*un4seen.com/forum/?topic=10829

Reply #4
Folks,

I just got a reply from Ian Luck (the creator of XMPlay) over in his forums:

Quote from: Ian @ un4seen
Winamp input plugins can work in 1 of 2 ways: send the sample data to Winamp (or XMPlay) to be played via the usual output channels, or output the data themselves. XMPlay only supports the former, and the latter results in the message above.

Does this particular plugin depend on special hardware? If not, there is probably no need for it to output the data itself and doing so just limits its use, eg. no DSP can be applied.

Perhaps the plugin could be updated to use Winamp's output instead?

Possibly the NWC authors could update the NWC WinAmp plugin as Ian explained?