Skip to main content
Topic: Soundfonts and NWC2 (Read 4225 times) previous topic - next topic

Soundfonts and NWC2

Hi,

I hope someone here can help me out of this difficulty.

I recently upgraded to Windows 7, and I find that I can no longer use my external SB Live 24-bit soundcard with my soundfonts, because the SoundFont Bank Manager that I use to load soundfonts into the sound card can no longer run.

So I'm looking for a way out where I can load my soundfonts and can use them to continue to write music using NWC2.

The alternatives that I can see are:

- Get a new soundcard that has software that I can use to load my soundfonts;

- Get some new software that I can use to load my soundfonts into my SB Live soundcard;

- Get some new software which will enable me to load my soundfonts into any computer soundcard (including my computer's default card);

- Figure out a way of getting my existing soundcard to work on Windows 7.

Can anyone make any suggestions for any of the above categories? I have heard of SynthFont software; will it allow me to do any of the above?

Thanks,

K.

Re: Soundfonts and NWC2

Reply #1
G'day K,
the KX project drivers may offer some help: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/
but I cannot be sure they have support for your existing sound card

Otherwise I believe there are Win7 drivers for the Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer (note the extreme music DOES NOT SUPPORT soundfonts, you must use the extreme gamer or above)

OR, you could, as you suggested, try synthfont (there are a few similar products).

and finally, you could try my VST experiment/introduction - see:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6528.0
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Explanations

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Well, Lawrie,

As you pointed out, my soundcard wouldn't work with KX software, and I didn't want to get an internal soundcard.

But fortunately, your very clearly written instructions on how to use MidiYoke, VSTHost and VSTSynthFont to load my sound font worked a treat! The only slight nag is the delay in playback... but I can live with that.

Thanks very, very much from stopping me from dashing my head against the wall in frustration. Now I can resume the making of sweet music!

K.

Reply #3
G'day Kweri,
I'm very pleased things are working for you.

If the latency is a problem, I suggest you look at the bit about using ASIO.  The latency will be pretty well unnoticeable BUT you will only be able to use your wav device for the ASIO connection while it is active. 

Reply #4
Hi Lawrie and others,

My brother experiences problems when using ASIO. He, too, or rather his daugher, notes a nagging delay when playing notes on her MIDI-keyboard. Now, ASIO should be able to correct this... only, when tried, we are confronted with a Blue Screen of Death.
Are there other options or suggestions?
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #5
G'day Rob,
a few more details won't go astray.  What, exactly, is being attempted?

Sound card type, MIDI input type (USB converter etc.), is the keyboard being used to record into NWC etc.?