Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot record real time performance (Read 4844 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot record real time performance

When I play anything in real time on my MIDI keyboard into a Noteworthy file all, I get is a series of notes of the same length corresponding to that which happens to be highlighted in the note tool bar at the time. I've tried to follow the instructions on page 27 of the latest User's Guide as far as possible and have found no reference to this problem in either the FAQ's or this Forum. Could you please suggest what I might be doing wrong? many thanks, John.

Re: Cannot record real time performance

Reply #1
You need to have a preexisting staff of "something" already there. I use a metronome beat staff (or, if I am simply developing accompaniment, the melody line).

The record feature will then work correctly and accurately mirror the duration of the note inputs from your midi input device in the new staff or buffer, depending upon which option you selected under the "options, record tab".

Reply #2
I use the piano template and give it a name but I always get the same result.
cheers,
John.

Reply #3
Are you confusing two different methods of note input?

Your first mail shows that you are entering in step-time mode - i.e. you've set midi input active, so each note (or chord) is entered as if with the enter key, with the note attributes as pre-set.

What you are trying to do is input in real time, and for that you need to press the record button instead.

Now NWC will play the existing track (you must have an existing track) and you can play along with it. Press stop and the newly recorded track will appear in its own window, and you can cut and paste from there into the original window.

A trick for a totally blank score is to write a click track. If you send it to channel 10 (see staff options/midi) then the click will be percussive (rather than a note), the percussion instrument depending on the entered pitch.

This only needs to be one bar long, but repeated repeatedly. Use the local repeat feature to get as many repeats as you need, like this:

|:o o o o ¹ºº:|

Set tempo to suit.

Reply #4
Are you really following the instructions on Page 27 of the User's Guide, section "Record play from a MIDI keyboard?" If not, this is the section you need to use as a basis for recording.

From your question, it sounds more like you are following the step-time entry instructions, which is the next section of the User's Guide, "Remotely input notes from a MIDI keyboard." This section describes step-time entry, which uses the note toolbar to determine note duration.

Reply #6
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I've tried Peter's trick of a repeated click track on channel 10 but, although I get the notes appearing on one or two new staves after I have pressed the stop button and can then get them to play, I cannot see or hear the notes as I play them on my midi keyboard. Is there any way I can make the notes visible and audible as I play them?
Cheers,
John.

Reply #7
By jiggering around with my midi keyboard controls, I've now managed to get the notes to sound when I play them, but they don't appear onthe score until after I stop the recording. Is this normal?
cheers,
John.

Reply #9
Once again, many thanks to all for solving my problem.
Cheers,
John.