NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => Announcements => Topic started by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-23 06:15 am

Title: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 16
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-23 06:15 am
NoteWorthy Software is pleased to announce the availability of a new beta test edition of NoteWorthy Composer. An installer for Version 2.1 Beta 16 is attached to this topic. This installs the latest NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta test edition into your currently installed copy of NoteWorthy Composer 2. You must be a licensed user of NoteWorthy Composer 2 in order to install this test edition. The files installed in this test edition are covered by your existing NoteWorthy Composer 2 license. Your existing copy of NoteWorthy Composer 2 will not be altered by installing this test edition. You can, and should, run this test edition side by side with your current copy of NoteWorthy Composer 2. You can start testing the new features in this release by running the program icon titled "NWC Test Edition" that can be found on your computer's desktop.

What's New

Upon successfully installing this beta test edition, you will see an additional desktop icon titled "NWC Test Edition." You can use this icon to start up the new program. Any files that you save in this new version are backward compatible with the original NoteWorthy Composer 2 program, but you will not see any additional features that you enable from the test edition if you go back to using the original NoteWorthy Composer 2 release.

If you customize your toolbars in the beta release, any tools that you add that are specific to NWC 2.1 will be shown as unknown in the original NWC 2.0. Make sure that you do not try to customize again in NWC 2.0 or you will lose your NWC 2.1 customizations.

Support issues relating to the use of this beta should be posted in the Back Stage (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?board=8.0) area (you must have upgraded your membership (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5483.0) in order to to view and post in this area).

This beta has been replaced by NWC 2.1 Beta 17 (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7109.0).
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 1
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2009-12-23 09:20 am
Having a problem with toolbars...

With NWC2.0 I use the "Xtra" toolbar with custom entries.  All is OK until I try to add the new "Item Color" tools to a toolbar (any toolbar, including a new Custom one).  I can add only "Item Color 1", OR I can add "Default Item Color" plus "Item Color 1".  When I go to add another "Item Color" I get a GDI failure.  If I say NO to continuing NWC2.1 exits and when I restart I've lost my "Xtra" toolbar altogether, but I have a new "Color" toolbar.  If I say Yes to continuing then the "Xtra" toolbar disappears and when I exit and restart NWC2 I cannot reactivate the Xtra toolbar - I get the GDI error again.

The "Xtra" toolbar also disappears completely from the available toolbars.

In all cases the "nwc2toolbars.dat" file becomes zero length.  I restore from backup and try again - the same thing occurs.  'tis repeatable and consistent.
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 1
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-23 01:09 pm
Thanks for the report. I have reproduced the error. We will get a Beta 2 release out as soon as possible with a fix.

Note: The "Xtra" toolbar actually was removed from the factory default prior to the NWC2 2.0 release. Creating your own custom toolbars, like Xtra, is still supported though.

Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 2
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-23 01:39 pm
Beta 2 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:

Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2009-12-23 02:18 pm
Thanks Eric,
got it, works good.

Now, an observation.  When testing I tried setting the colour from the toolbar, inserting an object, then moving to the next colour and a new object.  Works fine except when inserting an object that uses a dialogue box, like a key signature or text object etc., the colour selection is not passed to the dialogue.

Should we be expecting it to or is this by design?
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-23 02:28 pm
The colour should pass into the insert dialogue. This will be fixed in the next beta.
Post by: Rick G. on 2009-12-23 07:38 pm
I added a color icon. I clicked on it and it went down. If I click on it again, shouldn't it go up?
It seems that once I select a color, I have no way to get back to the default color.
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-23 07:53 pm
You have to select the "Default" color like any other. If you manually added  the color toolbar buttons, the default button is currently in a different place than the others. It is currently called "Default Item Color."
Post by: Rick G. on 2009-12-23 08:15 pm
You have to select the "Default" color like any other. If you manually added  the color toolbar buttons, the default button is currently in a different place than the others. It is currently called (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3007.msg17961#msg17961) "Default Item Color."
Found it. If not already on the current toolbar, it is currently at the top of 'Available Tools:'
If not already on the current toolbar, it is currently after 'Item Color 7' in 'Available Tools:'

Edit: As of Beta 7, a 'Color' toolbar has been added with all the color options.
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 3
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-23 11:14 pm
Beta 3 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:

Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 4
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-24 04:31 pm
Beta 4 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:

Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 4
Post by: Rick G. on 2009-12-24 07:09 pm
Beta 4 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:
  • ...clips starting in the middle of a bar will have all preceding elements passed to the script in the fake context objects
Thank you. It seemed as though pitch information was the focus of this upgrade, so I didn't mention this. Whole new classes of User Tools are now possible. I have long needed a tool to split/join/reorganize duration objects according to the TimeSig. I some future upgrade, it may help to add a text field to the TimeSig object so that a beat pattern can be specified.
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 5
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-24 08:08 pm
Beta 5 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:

Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-25 01:18 am
This topic has been moved to our Public Address area. Beta 5 is now publicly available.
Post by: Peppermint Lin on 2009-12-25 01:24 am
I still have a problem.
When I export NWC2 file (including percussion clef) to NWC 1.75, the percussion clef becomes the treble clef.
Percussion clef must be bass clef in NWC1.75.
Post by: Rick G. on 2009-12-25 02:07 am
When I export NWC2 file (including percussion clef) to NWC 1.75, the percussion clef becomes the treble clef.
Percussion clef must be bass clef in NWC1.75.
Confirmed for both NWC2 Ver 2.0 and NWC2 Ver 2.1 Beta 5.
Quote from: test clip
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Percussion
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
IOW, <this> (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6918.msg47456#msg47456) has not been fixed. Perhaps it never will be as NWC 1.75 is obsolete.
Post by: Haymo on 2009-12-26 04:17 pm
Quote: "A command line program, nwc-conv.exe, is now included for converting *.nwc files to and from various other formats"
(I do not know yet how to do the "official" quote).

This is something I've been looking forward to.

PLEASE:
1.  Help a dunce like me and provide a step-by-step example how this program is to be used.

2. Please list the various formats which it can handle.

3. Can it convert in both directions in all of the formats? If not please specify.

Thank you,
Haymo.
Post by: Peter Edwards on 2009-12-26 04:45 pm
Couldn't find the fake items until I actually ran a user tool. Copy/paste into notepad doesn't include them!
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2009-12-26 05:25 pm
Hi Haymo,

If you run nwc-conv -h   it will then give you a help screen which says what it can go to and from.

Essentially, it will convert from nwc or nwctxt and will convert into nwc, nwctxt, or type 1 or 2 midi.
If addition it will provide the info that nwcinfo.exe used to provide.

There are a couple of examples on the help screen.
Post by: Michael W. Powell on 2009-12-26 10:28 pm
I'm a long time user (since version 1.55) but like Haymo, I'm a bit at a loss as to how and when to invoke nwc-conv.exe.  I have read the help screen as Richard suggested but apparently I'm too dense to make heads or tails of what front end command means and what to do to make it work.  Is it to be set up as a user tool?
Post by: Rick G. on 2009-12-26 11:00 pm
No. It is generally useless in a User Tool because it cannot be configured to use the current song.

It can be used in a shortcut (lnk), batch file (bat), command file (cmd), a script (php, VBScript, JScript, etc.), a HyperText application (hta) or a compiled application (exe).

AFAIK, nwc-conv.exe is designed to replace:
Some of the links will not work unless you are a NWC2 User or above.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2009-12-26 11:28 pm
Haymo and Michael

I think it's fair to say that you can be using NWC for years and never need to use nwc-conv (or one of it predecessors that Rick detailed).

You should also be aware that if you want an nwctxt file from a NoteWorthy file or you want a midi file from a NoteWorthy file (and so on), you don't have to use nwc-conv. You can get all of these things from NWC2 itself.

So for example, from NWC2 you can export to nwctxt, midi type 0 and midi type 1, you can find out the information given to you in an info file.  You can also load an nwctxt file into NoteWorthy and save it as an nwc2 file.

NWC-CONV, however, is particularly useful for doing these sorts of activities without loading each individual NoteWorthy file into NoteWorthy. You may never, ever want or need to use it.  In my case, I use this type of program when dealing with my local version of the Scriptorium.  I use a type of DOS batch file to process Scriptorium files and extract times. At a guess, Rick may use it to supply information directly to some of his programs and scripts without loading each file into NoteWorthy.

All I'm really saying is that just because it has been provided, doesn't mean that every user will want/need to use it.

Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 5 - Inserting Text
Post by: mod on 2009-12-27 05:17 am
Not sure if this is the right place to post, or whether it should be posted to the newsgroup - if so, which newsgroup?
I've just started using 2.1 beta 5 on W7 (build 7600). Inserting a text expression, either by the keyboard shortcut, or by selecting from the menu, now only shows the first tab - the placement and visibility tabs are not available until some text is inserted, the dialogue box closed, and then properties are selected.
This seems a regression to me - extra steps are required.
mod
Post by: Rick G. on 2009-12-27 05:28 am
Inserting a text expression, either by the keyboard shortcut, or by selecting from the menu, now only shows the first tab - the placement and visibility tabs are not available until some text is inserted, the dialogue box closed, and then properties are selected.
Looks like you have Tools->Options...->Editor->'Smart Properties Insert:' enabled. Try unchecking the box.

Quote from: nwc2.chm->IDH_SMARTPROPERTIESINSERT
This option controls how placement and visibility properties are set for new items inserted into the staff.
When enabled: The Visibility properties for new items are automatically configured with default settings.
The Expression Placement properties are set by finding a similar item elsewhere in the staff, and then using it as a basis for positioning the new item. If a similar item is not found, the program decides on the placement properties based on reasonable defaults.
If the properties need to be changed, the new item can be selected after it is entered, and all properties can be adjusted as necessary.

When disabled: All available properties for new items must be set manually. The properties are initially set to whatever was used the last time this kind of item was added.
I keep this disabled. Try it both ways to see what you like better.

Perhaps some of your Editor Options got changed during the upgrade. The 'Smart Properties Insert:'  option has been part of NWC since at least April 2000 (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1302.msg6580#msg6580)
Post by: Haymo on 2009-12-27 10:39 am
Hi Haymo,

If you run nwc-conv -h   it will then give you a help screen which says what it can go to and from.

Essentially, it will convert from nwc or nwctxt and will convert into nwc, nwctxt, or type 1 or 2 midi.
If addition it will provide the info that nwcinfo.exe used to provide.

There are a couple of examples on the help screen.

Thanks Rich,
but I'm no closer to knowing what to do with nwc-conv.exe
Sorry, but I'm totally dense.
How do I "run nwc-conv -h "?

I've been hoping for a program which can convert to and from XML, Sibelius, Finale, etc.  Formats.
Post by: mod on 2009-12-27 10:49 am
Looks like you have Tools->Options...->Editor->'Smart Properties Insert:' enabled. Try unchecking the box.
I keep this disabled. Try it both ways to see what you like better.

Perhaps some of your Editor Options got changed during the upgrade. The 'Smart Properties Insert:'  option has been part of NWC since at least April 2000 (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1302.msg6580#msg6580)

Thanks, that was the answer - I hadn't checked to see if any of those options had changed. May have been in the install, or may have been an inadvertent click just prior to upgrading!
Post by: mod on 2009-12-27 11:01 am
Thanks Rich,
but I'm no closer to knowing what to do with nwc-conv.exe
Sorry, but I'm totally dense.
How do I "run nwc-conv -h "?

I've been hoping for a program which can convert to and from XML, Sibelius, Finale, etc.  Formats.

Apparently nwc-conv didn't get registered on my system - I had to navigate to the NoteWorthy folder (using the command prompt) and run it from there. Your system may be like mine in that respect. But as others have said it is just a new way of doing what has been available. Probably only really of interest to those who use scripts. It would have been nice if it would do what you hoped!
mod
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2009-12-27 12:29 pm

Haymo,

There's nothing that does that. The closest is music xml. You would need to use something like Nicolas Hatier's program to read in mxml from other music programs - and I believe that there are some programs that have been written that will convert nwc to mxml (do a search on the forum for xml).

I think that with the ongoing development of nwctxt, it won't be long before someone produces a duplex nwctxt<>xml convertor.
When that happens, your hopes will be reality.

As to how to run nwc-conv  - It is installed into the NWC2 program directory.  Since this is a command line program, you need to run a command box and then navigate to the nwc2 folder to use it.

So ....

Start      Run       Command   will get you what looks like a DOS box.
Then navigate to the NWC2 program folder and run nwc-conv -h   from there.

Post by: Haymo on 2009-12-27 02:47 pm
Thanks Rich.
That is the sort of info I needed.

I regularly use Sharpeye2 and Nicholas Hatier's MXML2NWCC.exe, to convert XML (from scanned *.tif) to *.nwc

Haymo.
Post by: mod on 2009-12-28 09:51 am
Interesting minor point - but not new to this beta. I have a Microsoft Natural Laser 7000 mouse, and the horizontal scroll (wheel tilt) does not work if NoteWorthy Composer is run "as an administrator" (from a lower level account, including the 'built in'  Administrator account). OS is W7 build 7600. The wheel tilt scrolling works OK when using a full Administrator account (not the 'built in'  Administrator account).

mod
Post by: Rick G. on 2009-12-28 10:08 am
but not new to this beta. I have a Microsoft Natural Laser 7000 mouse, and the horizontal scroll (wheel tilt) does not work
I suggest General Discussion (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?board=1.0). If you put "Scroll Wheel" in your New topic's title and get a useful answer, it will greatly increase the chance that someone with a similar problem will find it.
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-29 03:23 pm
Perhaps some of your Editor Options got changed during the upgrade.

The beta does not alter your editor options in any way.

Apparently nwc-conv didn't get registered on my system - I had to navigate to the NoteWorthy folder (using the command prompt) and run it from there.

Neither the beta installer nor the generally available installer alters your system's default path. If you want the NWC2 program files to be in your path, you have to do this manually.

If a script writer wants to utilize the NWC-CONV.EXE tool, the script should use the "InstallLocation" registry setting to find NWC2:

Code: [Select · Download]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NoteWorthy Composer 2\InstallLocation
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 6
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2009-12-30 12:23 am
Beta 6 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:

Post by: mod on 2010-01-01 10:40 am
Beta 6 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:

[/li]
    [li]Improved notehead alignment for split stem chords
    [/li]

Beta 6 aligns the up stem and down stem of a chord (where the notes are a half-tone apart) differently to previous versions. I've attached a .nwctxt file with some chords to show what I am seeing - but if this is imported into NWC 2 the stem are aligned. I haven't found a way to alter this behavior.

My OS is W7 build 7600

mod
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-01 06:21 pm
Hi mod -

The behavior change you reference was a correction to NWC's improper note head placement before. See the discussion here (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7052.0).

Cheers,

Bill
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 7
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-01 07:05 pm
A new test release for a new year. Beta 7 is now available from the top of this topic. It exclusively deals with note/rest positioning in split stem chords and RestChords.

If you create a split stem chord that contains a common, shared, identical note where the stems meet, then you can now set the "Use stem for articulations" option to enable that notehead to be shared between the two stems.

Also, the beta release number is now shown in the program's title bar when running.

Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-01 09:39 pm
The positioning seems to be much better in this beta. The use of the "Use stem for articulations" works well and corrects some issues. With split stem chords, if there are articulations, the "Use stem for articulations" is not really needed since articulations on the notehead are of no good visible use. Articulations can still be moved to the upper stem or the lower stem by ctrl and arrow up or down. However, the positioning of some articulations may need to be looked at.

I also note that since the last beta, the option for "No leger lines" now gives hidden leger lines rather than no leger lines.
Since we now have the viewer mode, this doesn't concern me. It would have done otherwise. I guess that it is a good thing to standardise hidden objects.

The issue raised by Bill Ashworth here (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7063.msg48492#msg48492) is still an issue for me and the same actions I reported with the muted headless grace whole note still cure the issue.

Post by: Peter Edwards on 2010-01-04 02:36 pm
|Chord|Dur:4th,Accent|Pos:2o|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-2o,-1o|Color:0|Visibility:Default
needs a tweak.
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-04 02:40 pm
G'day Peter,
Yeah, I reckon you could say that :)
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-04 02:48 pm
Agreed.
That's exactly the sort of thing I meant when I wrote :

However, the positioning of some articulations may need to be looked at.
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 8
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-05 03:03 pm
Beta 8 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:

Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-05 03:22 pm
  • For clip text, the note color is now included in the Pos: option for single |Note notes using the !# form, even though the color assignment is also shown using the Color: option...during input into NWC 2.1, the Color: option is ignored when importing a line of |Note clip text that contains a !# color in the Pos: text (The !# overrides the Color: option)
  • Improved positioning for articulations on split stem chords

Agreed on these two - no issues.
Don't want to test No 3 since I do not want to uninstall. But this is excellent and the way it should be.
Can't test No 4.

Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-05 04:55 pm
The installer hides the effects of #3 when you install and use NWC2 from the same user account. This change is most useful for user accounts that did not originally install NWC 2. An easy way to test the new behavior is by modifying the "Song Files" and "Auto Save/Recovery" locations in Tools, Options, Folders. Click Modify, then delete the contents of the Folder box and press OK. This forces the default behavior, which is changed in this release.

The change in #4 applies to everyone, but should effect almost none. This change basically revises a change originally made in NWC2 to facilitate running under Wine in Linux. The new default behavior differs between the Win 95 and Win 2000 variants, but the registry option allows overriding the default behavior on any system. The option enables NWC 2.1 to run better on very old systems. Since Microsoft is making it harder and harder to get the old updates for these systems, changes were needed in order to allow NWC2 to run effectively on factory original installs of the Windows 98 strain.

Title: Beta 9: New backup engine for .bak files
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-06 09:33 pm
Beta 9 is now available from the top of this topic. It includes:

Title: Re: Beta 9: New backup engine for .bak files
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-06 10:04 pm
Beta 9 is now available from the top of this topic.
Help->About... says that it is Beta 9, but the window title is: NoteWorthy Composer 2 (Beta 8)

• A new File, Open Backups command allows you to quickly open an old version of a file that is preserved as a *.nwc.bak file.
Using WinXP(sp3), I tried: File->Open Backups.... I got an ACCESS_VIOLTION at 0001:00000e4e

Edit: removed attachment. Both problems are fixed in Beta 11
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 9
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-06 10:08 pm
I was confused at first between autosave and backup files - but that was my fault - I dived in rather than reading properly.

File created OK on save. File opened from backup folder OK even when original file already open.

One comment about new process - Tried to set up new folder from within NoteWorthy. I expected a dialog box saying ... does not exist, do you want to create it.  But this doesn't happen and a folder has to be created outside of NoteWorthy.

The wrong title is on the header. (Still says beta 8)

Couple of other points noticed today - but not necessarily from this beta .

1.  Special endings clash with bar numbers (in the editor when in viewer mode) and also with articulations (both in editor and in print)
2.  Chase playing notes function only highlights notegheads for beamed notes but noteheads and stems for unbeamed notes (not important but thought I'd mention it)
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-06 10:14 pm
G'day Eric,
I like this new feature.

But, when I first started trying it I hadn't set the number of backup files so the name was:
filename.nwc.bak
which is fine, but then I activated the multiple backup option and got the specified name format:
filename.n.nwc.bak
which is also fine, but the original filename seems to stay forever without being updated. 

Wouldn't it be better to either have the naming format consistent regardless of how many backups are retained OR detect the single name format and rename it as .2 when the first save is done with multiple backups selected?

Oh yeah, I spotted the beta name thingy that Rick reported - thought I'd somehow got an error in the install for a while... and I concur with Rich about the directory dialogue and setting up directories.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-06 10:20 pm
Not too sure about the methodology for the order of the back up files.

It would seem that the latest is always number 1 but the next latest is whatever the highest number is.

So I have 6 backup files.

The latest is No 1, next is number 6, then 5,4,3,2. I think this may be a bit confusing.
Surely date/time order should match numerical order?  Whereas we have latest and then earliest next to each other.

Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-06 10:46 pm
I'm not sure why it says beta 8. Didn't catch that. I'll look into that and the ACCESS_VIOLTION.

The backup numbers are used chronologically as backup files are created, but the most recent backup is always at position 1.

Once all of the numbers are used, the oldest backup file is replaced on the next save by the 2nd most recent file.

Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-06 10:53 pm
G'day Rich,
I think I can guess why it's done this way.  Say you were keeping 99 backups and each time you saved they ALL had to be renamed to keep consistency...  Could take a while...

However, I agree, there needs to be a logical predictabilty with the numbering.  I just did some more saves with my test file, and the backups started to update in the middle of the stack so to speak.

I have 10 backups set up - in my initial testing I just did a bunch of saves fairly quickly over a period of 2 minutes.  There were 4 that all had the same minute - numbers 7, 8, 9 an 10.  Numbers 1 through 6 were later minutes.

So, did a save, #1 got the latest version and #7 was replaced by the old #1, save again and #8 got replaced by the newer #1 etc. up to #10, then #2 got the change, followed by #3 and #4.

Seems to be a circular buffer based on timestamp, but one could get a bit lost.

Perhaps the open backup option should either automatically put the dialogue into "Details" view ot sort on date - most recent at the top.  Or maybe both..?

I note Eric posted while I was writing this - G'day mate!
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-06 10:58 pm
I'll look into that and the ACCESS_VIOLTION.
I defined a Backup folder and the problem went away. I then removed the definition and the problem reappeared. I also lost the ability to redefine a Backup folder. Then I reinstalled and got the ability back.

Simple fix would be to disable File->Open Backups... until a backup folder was defined, but if the user decided to keep the old backup system it would be nice if File->Open Backups... worked like  File->Open, but defaulted to *.bak
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-06 11:02 pm
Yes, I understand it - I just don't like it - and think it is likely to be confusing.

I would rather have the latest as a completely different name convention and then the others as numerical in order.

So the latest is always - say - Filename.rec.bak  (rec for recent) and then the older versions 1 through what ever number defined.
So as soon as a file gets saved, rec.bak goes to last numberused+1 and this then would keep the numbers in order until an overwrite is needed. The latest copy is always plain to see and understand and the numerics wouldn't be confused in time.

Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-06 11:38 pm
Have had the same problems that others have reported. I got the access violation warning repeatedly on trying to open backups until I assigned a backup folder in the options dialog; then everything worked fine (except, of course, that it still says beta 8 in the title bar).

I agree with Rich's and Lawrie's comments re numbering. I think it would be better if (a) the numbering was consistent, whether or not the number of backups was assigned, and if (b) the numbers remained in chronological order. Since keeping the numbers in chronological order with the current backup being no. 1 would require renaming every backup file at each save, why not allow the most recent backup to have the highest number? I don't think that would confuse anyone. I would also propose that, if the number of backups has not yet been assigned, the backup carry the designation file#.0.nwc.bak. That way it won't have to be renumbered if the user later decides to go to multiple backups.

But I like the multiple backups idea very much. Among other things, it allows me to open two identical copies of the same file, something that has taken a bit of maneuvering before. Now all I have to do is save and then open the latest backup.

Cheers,

Bill
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-07 12:14 am
if the user decided to keep the old backup system it would be nice if File->Open Backups... worked like  File->Open, but defaulted to *.bak

That is exactly what it does (or in this case, should do). Still looking.
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-07 12:17 am
So the latest is always - say - Filename.rec.bak  (rec for recent) and then the older versions 1 through what ever number defined.
So as soon as a file gets saved, rec.bak goes to last numberused+1 and this then would keep the numbers in order until an overwrite is needed. The latest copy is always plain to see and understand and the numerics wouldn't be confused in time.

The problem is that the Filename.rec.bak would appear below the other backup files in a default, name based sort order.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-07 12:44 am
But the problem at the moment is that sequential numbers are not time sequenced. and this could be confusing. It has to be far better to differentiate between the most recent file and any other files.

I'm sure there must be a way that a default recent name can be thought of such that it will allow a single most recent file to come first in a list whilst allowing a series of other files to come later. Even if it means filename.latest.bak followed by filename.old01.bak .... filename.oldnn.bak 
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-07 12:58 am
As previously noted, I don't think there's a problem with having the latest backup at the bottom of the list instead of the top. Any user who did have a problem with that, of course, could always reverse the sort.

Anyway....forgot to mention in my previous post that I also agree that users should be able to create a backups folder from within the program. That's a problem that could give non-power-users a bit of a setback.

Bill
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 10
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-07 01:04 am
Beta 10 fixes the access violation and the title bar designation. It also changes the backup filename convention such that the single version backups still use the 1 designation in the backup name, such as Filename.1.nwc.bak.

The other thoughts regarding the naming convention and folder creation will be given additional consideration.
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 11
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-07 02:35 am
The other thoughts regarding the naming convention and folder creation will be given additional consideration.

Beta 11 adds support for creating a folder from Tools, Options, Folders.

Beta 11 also changes the approach used for creating backup files. As of beta 11, when backups are enabled, the most recent backup file will always be named Filename.nwc.bak. You can configure an additional older version queue from the new "Queue size..." option in Tools, Options, Files. When a queue is configured, additional older backups will be stored in a circular queue of the size that you specify. Each backup file in the circular queue will be named Filename.q#.nwc.bak, where # represents an available slot in the queue for this filename.
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-07 03:46 am
if the user decided to keep the old backup system it would be nice if File->Open Backups... worked like  File->Open, but defaulted to *.bak
It looks as though this was implemented in NWC2 2.1 Beta 11
As an added bonus, opening a backup file does not add it to History.
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-07 04:45 am
Works much better now.

I suggest a wording change in the backup failed warning box, however. I get this warning when my designated backup folder has been removed. It currently reads Unable to create a backup for this file. Unless there are other circumstances that trigger this warning, it would be more helpful to specify Backup folder <foldername> doesn't exist.

Bill
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-07 05:06 am
As an additional note, I think "Queue size for old versions" might be a bit misleading as it is currently set. I suspect users are going to assume that the "old version" queue includes the most recent backup, and that therefore, if they have turned automatic backups on at all, the queue size should be 1. The most elegant fix for this, I think, would be simply to make the lowest q# q2 instead of q1 - and then include the latest backup (which has no number) in the count. Additional possibilities are to always designate the latest backup as q0, or to change the wording to read "Queue size for additional backups" (which is still a bit misleading, but better than the current version).

Bill
Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-07 06:47 am
Each backup file in the circular queue will be named Filename.q#.nwc.bak, where # represents an available slot in the queue for this filename

I haven't downloaded or tried the more recent beta updates, but the discussion re the new backup file naming system suggests a lot of potential confusion.

I wonder if the name could incorporate a time stamp , like so:

filename.20100106-2245-05.nwc.bak

That way the user can always identify the backup wanted and the order they were created.  I doubt if people are going to create a backup more than once a second. 

This presupposes it would be possible to have NWC read the computer's clock when the bak is created...

Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-07 08:08 am
I think the backup functionality is much better now, and clearer.  A nice addition and a good protection against loosing precious work.

David - I'm sure it would be possible to have NWC read the computer clock at the time of the save BUT you automatically have a date and time file stamp with the folder field called "date modified". So all you have to do is to click on it and it will give you the files in date and time order.

Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-07 04:27 pm
I really wish I had this functionality years ago.It is so good to have an automatic backup (ie version control). This had to be done manually before for those that wanted backup versions.

I have one further issue that has leapt to the fore.

If you have saved such that the latest backup is the default name and you have several other version preceeding that, if you open up a numbered backup file, it is fairly clear that it is just that. The window naming has filename.qn, the window menu dropdown has filename.qn.  This is good.

However, if you open the most recent backup when you alrady have open the file that it came from, then it is impossible by those methods to tell which file is which. Both your current file and the most recent backup file have the same names on the window and on the window dropdown menu.

Unless you happen to know the order you loaded the files or you happen to remember the change you made and can find it, then the only other way is to do a "file" "save as" without necessarily saving. This will then show you the folder that the music comes from and you will then know which is which.  So..  I would request an additional bit of functionality on the window and on the window dropdown menu, which will make it clear which is the recent backup file.

Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-07 05:43 pm
Rich is right. It's important to be able to tell which file is which by looking at the title bar, and beta 11's title bar doesn't discriminate between the working file and the latest backup.

The filename.q0 convention I suggested in my last post would fix that. So would filename.latest. Filename.nwc will not work, because it's still too easy to confuse that with the name of the current working file....unless the .bak extension is also included in the title bar. Which is, of course, another possibility.

Bill
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-07 06:39 pm
The filename.q0 convention I suggested in my last post would fix that.
Might I suggest filename.q00 ?  It would sort better.
Post by: Joseph Roberts on 2010-01-09 02:18 am
- - -

...  Not wanting to interrupt the current threads in any way ... I don't know where else to post this question.

- - -

Where in the forum should we discuss other 'wish list' items for NWC 2.1+?   When would it be appropriate to do so?

How about desired new items for NW Player?

- - -

I know the backup filenaming convention thread is important.  When it's resolved, will there be another place for other Beta topics, or is this forum the proper spot when the time is right?

Joe

Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-09 05:40 am
You probably should post your wishes to the wishlist, http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/support.htm (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/support.htm), although only Eric will ever see those or decide which ones to action.  

If you want to begin a discussion of wishes specific to any topic, just start a new message in the forum, just start at the beginning of this forum https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/ (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/) and give it a descriptive title.  If Eric wants to move it to a special part of the forum, he will let everyone know.
Title: NWC 2.1 Beta 12 Now Available
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-09 06:39 pm
Beta 12 is now available from the start of this topic. It includes:

Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 12
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-09 06:52 pm
Thanks, Eric. I think this takes care of my remaining issues with the new backup system. And the rewording of the backup queue message in tools/options is a definite improvement.

Is there any chance that 2.1 will give us the ability to designate a bottom orchestral staff, so we can bracket the separate instrument choirs in orchestral scores? Just a wish....

Bill
Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-09 07:02 pm
Bug report:

I have two active staffs set to Orchestral.  The upper one has a few bars of rests.  The lower one has notes.  In the editor, the bar lines connect the two staffs but in Print Preview, there are no bar lines for several bars on the top staff.  The printed output (at least the PDF file) seems ok.

Windows XPPro, NOC 17" flat panel monitor.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-09 07:14 pm
David,

I think this is the same as Bills problem (and mine) reported by bill here (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7063.msg48492#msg48492) .

Have a look and see if you think it is the same.

It would also be interesting to know if a muted headless whole note grace note fixes your problem too.
Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-09 07:22 pm
Yes, Rich, it's the same problem, and zooming cures it.  I don't have time just now to experiment, because I need to print the part and take it my rehearsal in a couple of hours. 

As I mentioned, it's only happening in Preview, not Print, so I'm not too worried at the moment.  It also isn't consistent; not all the connecting bar lines from rest staffs to note staffs disappear, and when I added a couple of forced system breaks earlier in the piece, different bar lines disappeared.  I suspect it's just a matter of forcing the vertical bar line to move over half a pixel or so.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-09 07:26 pm
Excellent changes in beta 12.
Very pleased to see the asterisk indicating a save is needed.

The duplicate names re the backup file in beta 11 are no longer a problem.

I like the wording change for backup queue size.

Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-09 07:32 pm
David's and Rich's recent posts point to the fact that there is still a problem with barlines, and that the problem seems to be related to orchestral staves. Put that together with my last post, and I sense an opportunity....

(No, David and I didn't plan this.)

Cheers,

Bill
Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-09 08:12 pm
Another minor glitch in Preview.  In the treble clef, I had a triplet of quarter rest and two quarter notes.  I moved the rest down a couple of steps so the triplet bracket would be horizontal, and it seemed to make the quarter rest smaller by about half a space.  

Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 13
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-14 01:22 pm
Beta 13 is now available from the start of this topic. It includes:

Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-14 02:05 pm
G'day Eric,
Barline fix
Works for me - tried scaling from as small as I could see to full screen and never lost sight of 'em at all.

Notehead colours
I can imagine times when I would like the current (beta 13) functionality and times when I'd like the older beta functionalty when entering single notes using the colour palette.  What I mean is, with the new functionality if I pick a colour and place a note, the head is coloured and the stem, flag and beam is not.  

This is fine, and I reckon most times I'd prefer this, but I can also imagine times when I'd want the colour palette to affect the whole note, head, stem, flag and beam (I note the beam is not coloured when I use the highlight colour from the note properties dialogue anyhow).  Perhaps a toggle option so I can choose whichever functionality I need at the time?

I'm not sure about the beam but I think having the beam in the highlight colour is desireable - anyone else have thoughts on this?  I realise this would be inconsistent with current NWC2.0 functionality.  How hard would it be to code a test for this so we can try it and see?

Gettin' late here (after 1 AM) so I'm goin' to bed, see ya.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-14 02:18 pm
Barline

Yup - All solved for me.  Even tried Rick's sliding scale and all was Ok.

Notehead colour

All worked fine and I like this facility.

I think the only thing I would comment on (but at this point, I'm not sure if I have a problem with it or not) is:

Note head colour x
Stem colour y
attribute colour = stem
Tie colour = head
Slur colour  = neither
dotted colour = note
accidental colour = note
triplet = neither

I have a feeling that all these things should standardise on the colour of the notehead (or the starting notehead in the case of triplet,slur and tie.

Any other thoughts ?
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-14 04:56 pm
Haven't lost track of a single barline since installing beta 13. Thanks, Eric.

Re the function of the color palette: I use different colors in the score mostly to designate separate voices. For that, I want the entire note (head, stem, beam, and any associated ties, slurs, and attributes) to be colored. So the best functionality, for me, is to have the color palette choose the color of the following entire notes, not just their heads. The ability to change only the notehead color is welcome but, I think, not the right choice for the default action.

And while we're on color - it would also be useful to be able to change just the attribute color, so that - for example - one could color an accent red to call attention to it, or color it white so it wouldn't show on the page but would still affect the playback. Just a thought....

Bill
Post by: Peter Edwards on 2010-01-14 05:48 pm
But 'White' is non-standard (and wouldn't 'transparent' be a better colour for this purpose?) But I agree that colouring the accents is a desirable feature.

It would be nice to have a palette stored with each file so that files can be ditributed properly.
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-15 11:16 am
I want the entire note (head, stem, beam, and any associated ties, slurs, and attributes) to be colored. So the best functionality, for me, is to have the color palette choose the color of the following entire notes, not just their heads.

The best way to do highlight coloring for notes is to place the note, then select it and choose a color for it, either via the backslash key, or by using Edit->Properties (this classic approach supported in earlier releases is unchanged).
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-15 11:43 am
Notehead colour

I think the only thing I would comment on (but at this point, I'm not sure if I have a problem with it or not) is:

Note head colour x
Stem colour y
attribute colour = stem
Tie colour = head
Slur colour  = neither
dotted colour = note
accidental colour = note
triplet = neither

I have a feeling that all these things should standardise on the colour of the notehead (or the starting notehead in the case of triplet,slur and tie.

Any other thoughts ?

Been thinkin' 'bout this...  And I'm good with them. 

The only change I'd make is not mentioned above and that is beams should be attibute colour - might make things interesting when beamed notes are different colours though...  I'm not sure which I'd prefer, beam the same as the first note colour or change beam colour at or perhaps between each note.

Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-15 11:59 am
Accidental, Tie, Dot(s) = head color
Articulation(s) = object (stem) color
Beam, Hairpin, Triplet bracket, 3 = first object color
Slur = staff color
Post by: Peppermint Lin on 2010-01-15 12:09 pm
If I play the highlighted notes(only notehead), the "Play Highlight" doesn't appear.

(http://tlds.dothome.co.kr/sesirine/playing.jpg)

And in beams(included triplet), if I change "Item Color" in Notation Properties, only the stem changes.

(http://tlds.dothome.co.kr/sesirine/beams.jpg)
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-15 12:42 pm
If I play the highlighted notes(only notehead), the "Play Highlight" doesn't appear.

This appears to be an issue.

And in beams(included triplet), if I change "Item Color" in Notation Properties, only the stem changes.

This is as expected. The notehead has its own color spec, in the Notes tab.
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-15 01:00 pm
The notehead has its own color spec, in the Notes tab.
Yuk. What's next, an accidental and notehead spec in the Notes tab?

I was about to compliment you an how notehead color was added without complicating the property page ... until Beta 13.
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-15 04:38 pm
The best way to do highlight coloring for notes is to place the note, then select it and choose a color for it, either via the backslash key, or by using Edit->Properties (this classic approach supported in earlier releases is unchanged).

Well, uh....that's exactly the problem. Two problems, actually. The first is that it takes three steps for each note (place the note; highlight the note; change the color of the note). The second is that this process changes the entire chord. In the situation I was describing - defining a second voice by using notes of a different color from the first voice - I only want to change part of the chord. I do, however, want to change the color attribute of the entire note, not just the notehead. I am now back to having to do that by layers. That's a step backward.

I was about to compliment you an how notehead color was added without complicating the property page ... until Beta 13.

I see your point, Rick, but I think the notehead color belongs where Eric put it, on the notes tab of the properties page. It is, in fact, a property of the note. I suppose it could go on the visibility tab, but that wouldn't be the first place I would look for it.

Cheers,

Bill
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-15 09:24 pm
G'day Bill,
I'm not sure I follow...  Why are you back to layers?

If you want the stem to be the same colour as the note, then place the note, highlight and select colour, then for the next note in the chord unhighlight, select colour, position cursor and <Ctrl-Enter>.

If you want the stem to be coloured, but not the same as any head then select colour, place note, highlight note, select stem colour, then for the next note in the chord, unhighlight note, select next colour, position cursor and <Ctrl-Enter>.
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-15 09:51 pm
I see your point, Rick, but I think the notehead color belongs where Eric put it, on the notes tab of the properties page.
I think you missed my point, which was that the option should not be on any property page.

It is, in fact, a property of the note.
No, it [the notehead color] is a property of the note head, just as accidental, tie, head glyph, and vertical position are. None of these are on either the Note or Visibility Tab. They are all selected with a toolbar button and if a chord member is inserted incorrectly, it must be removed and the correct member inserted.

If a note object is entered with the wrong notehead color, it is a simple matter to remove that note object and insert a one with the proper notehead color. That seems to be a change in the way the user interface operates and may cause confusion. In the past, all aspects of note objects could be changed after entry.

I do, however, want to change the color attribute of the entire note, not just the notehead. I am now back to having to do that by layers.
Can you post an example of a head/stem color combination that requires a layer?

Note: comments above refer to NWC 2.1 Beta 13
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-15 11:10 pm
Hi Rick and Lawrie -

OK - here's the example. I'm not sure what's not clear.

You should, of course, use beta 13 to view this. Then try to duplicate it on a single staff. You'll find, I think, that every single-staff method of approaching it either colors just the upper noteheads (I want the stems colored as well) or colors all stems (I only want the top stem of each dyad colored).

If (for example) you try to do this by entering the upper note in the dyad, selecting it, changing its color to red via the "visibility" tab, deselecting, and then entering the lower note, you'll find the lower note comes out red, too. If you try the same technique, but use the color buttons or the "color" item on the notes menu instead of the visibility tab color command, you get the same result. If you enter the top note, change its color to red, choose black as the next note color via the color buttons or the notes menu, and enter the note, you will get a note with a black head and a red stem. There may be some way other than those I just listed to choose item color, but if so, I haven't found it.

Re the location of the notehead color command: I got your point, Rick, I just didn't agree with it. I see the note holistically - the head, the stem, the flag or beam, and any dots, ties, accidentals, etc., are all part of the entity called "the note." Hence, an attribute of the notehead is an attribute of the note. I don't see any difference between determining notehead color on the notes tab and determining slur direction on the notes tab: each is an attribute of the note. Yes, it would be better if the tabs were less cluttered. But since the color buttons currently act differently when an item is selected (change the color of the selected item) and when no item is selected (determine the color of the following item, or in the case of a note, just the color of the head), something other than the color buttons is needed to change the notehead color after entry. Hence the new command on the notes tab. Another, possibly better, approach might have been to create a button or a menu command that toggled the color buttons between choosing notehead color and choosing the color of the entire note. I would prefer that: it would once again make layers unncessary for the attached example. But that's not the way Eric went.

Cheers,

Bill
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-16 01:40 am
You'll find, I think, that every single-staff method of approaching it either colors just the upper noteheads (I want the stems colored as well) or colors all stems (I only want the top stem of each dyad colored).
AFAIK, in every version of NWC that supports color, the color of all stems is the object color. There is no version of NWC2 that I am aware of that has any support in its cliptext format that distinguishes between the color of UpStems and DownStems in a single object. I reinstalled 'NWC 2.1 Beta 8' just to check.

IMO, the kind of independent control that you seek is why layering (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=982.msg4771#msg4771) was added.

I guess we look at these objects differently. I need to analyze them the way that they are presented to a User Tool or in nwctxt (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6094.0).
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-16 02:33 am
G'day Bill,
yes, in this case, I see why you wouild need layers - did any of the previous beta's do what you wanted in this example?
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-16 03:07 am
Hi Lawrie -

I don't have any of the earlier betas still installed, of course, so I can't tell; but I was under the impression that the stem color changed along with the notehead up to beta 13. As I read back, I see only notehead color mentioned in the announcements, so perhaps that was a false memory. At any rate, this is the functionality I thought we were getting, and the one that I would prefer to have. To me - again, it's that holistic thing - the head and the stem should always be the same color, except under extraordinary circumstances (most of them pedagogical). As should the beam, which has never been the case, but which I see as just a flag that happens to be connected to the next note....so having one of them take the stem color and the other one not take it makes no sense to me at all. And flags have always been the same color as the stem.

What do others use colored noteheads for, by the way? Why, other than granting the ability to identify separate voices, are they something to get excited about? Just curious....

Bill
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-16 04:08 am
What do others use colored noteheads for, by the way? Why, other than granting the ability to identify separate voices, are they something to get excited about? Just curious....
In a message directed at a small audience, Eric described this as: "Handbell Targetted NWC2 for Color Coding Chord members". More info <here> (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7017.msg48088#msg48088).

So far, I am underwhelmed. I can be handle all this better with layering.
IMO, the time could have been better spent by modifying NWC2 so that the systemic bar line could be suppressed.

OTOH, if these changes make NWC2 the "premiere software for Bell Choirs everywhere", I will have been wrong. Won't be the 1st or last time.
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-16 05:17 am
Thanks for the link, Rick. I had no idea.

Bill
Post by: Peter Edwards on 2010-01-16 07:08 am
The correction to notehead alignments seems to have put the slur placement awry.

|Clef|Type:Treble
|Chord|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:0!1,1!6,3!2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:0!1,1!6,3!2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted,Slur|Pos:0!1,1!6,3!2|Opts:Stem=Down,Slur=Downward,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:0!1,1!6,3!2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End

and those paired dots in the same staff space are just not right. It would be better to leave one of them out, but since the program evidently recognizes this situation why not put the dot for the space note where it should be and the dot for the line note one space away. At worst this second dot would only duplicate a dot already there from another note in a very clustered chord.
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-16 07:42 am
The correction to notehead alignments seems to have put the slur placement awry.
and those paired dots in the same staff space are just not right.
Neither represent a change from NWC 2.0
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 14
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-16 04:20 pm
Beta 14 is now available from the start of this topic. It includes:

Post by: Peter Edwards on 2010-01-16 04:45 pm
Neither represent a change from NWC 2.0

So they don't, but you could at least agree that there's something wrong which could easily be fixed.

Why these are treated differently is beyond me

|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:1,2
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:0,1
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-16 05:36 pm
Good addition, Eric. I've often wished for next file and previous file buttons for the button bars; the new document selection buttons are better than that. In my limited tests so far, they've worked perfectly. Was the open new file button down there in previous betas? I don't recall it, but I sure like having it next to the document selection buttons. Perfect for when I think I've opened something that I actually haven't.

....and while you're adding things to the status bar: how about putting the the current insertion point location (measure number) down there on the right, along with the active staff name? That's been on the wish list for a long time.....

Cheers,

Bill
Post by: mod on 2010-01-17 02:20 am
....and while you're adding things to the status bar: how about putting the the current insertion point location (measure number) down there on the right, along with the active staff name? That's been on the wish list for a long time.....

This multiple document selector addition to the status bar is a very useful one. May I add a request for a "Save As" button - not necessarily a default, but one that could be added to a custom toolbar. Also a "Close" button that could be added to a custom toolbar.

mod
Post by: mod on 2010-01-17 04:00 am
Why these are treated differently is beyond me

I experimented with stems in both directions to see how the dots were treated - not at all ideally, the dot on the upper note of the pair separated by a half tone is almost merged into the lower note head. Further to this it appears that the beam (and slur) for a pair of 8th note chords with both up and down stems is applied to the first inserted notes. No beam is applied to the stems of the opposing direction. In the included clip the first 4 chords had the up stemmed notes inserted first, the second set of 4 had the down stemmed notes inserted first. (I have always used layering to get beams to both up and down stemmed pairs (groups) of chords). This clip is from Beta 14.

|Chord|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:1,3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First|Dur2:8th|Pos2:0
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:1,3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End|Dur2:8th|Pos2:0
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:1,3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First|Dur2:8th,Dotted|Pos2:0
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:1,3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End|Dur2:8th,Dotted|Pos2:0
|Chord|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First|Dur2:8th|Pos2:1,3
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End|Dur2:8th|Pos2:1,3
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First|Dur2:8th,Dotted|Pos2:1,3
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End|Dur2:8th,Dotted|Pos2:1,3

mod
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-17 05:12 am
This clip is from Beta 14.
and is a bug
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-17 05:32 am
I concur
Post by: Peppermint Lin on 2010-01-19 01:10 am
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:0,1,1|Opts:Stem=Up

How about this?

(http://tlds.dothome.co.kr/sesirine/overlap.jpg)

This clip's from beta 14, too.
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-19 01:22 am
If I paste your clip into NWC2 or Beta 14, I get an invalid object.
Beta 14 shows this:
|Text|Text:"\|Chord\|Dur:4th\|Pos: ..."|Font:StaffBold|Pos:8|Wide:Y|Justify:Left|Placement:BestFit|Color:0|Visibility:Default
which is what I would expect.
Post by: Peppermint Lin on 2010-01-19 01:37 am
The notes can be made using chord members.

|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:0,1

This clip will be pasted correctly.
Next, select 'Stem Up' and put the cursor on pos 1.
Then "Ctrl+Enter"(Chord Member) it.

The notes are seen:
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:0,1,1|Opts:Stem=Up

I found that my clip got an invalid text, so try this one.
Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-19 01:45 am
I'd say it's a bug. It will export to nwctxt but will not import.

KeyStroke sequence to produce it is: "0{enter}{up}^{enter}+{up}^{enter}"
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-19 04:10 am
I concur
Post by: Peppermint Lin on 2010-01-19 07:50 am
There is also:

|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:0,1,1,2

(http://tlds.dothome.co.kr/sesirine/overlap-2.jpg)

I think that it shouldn't be possible to make.
Title: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 15
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-19 02:37 pm
Beta 15 was pulled shortly after release. See the Beta 16 announcement.
Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 15
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-19 03:11 pm
Beta 15 is now available from the start of this topic. It includes the following fixes and enhancements:
I see it like this :

Agreed -now imports correctly

Not tested

Agreed - however, I still believe there maybe room for improvement here :
Code: [Select · Download]
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:1,2|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:2,3
|Chord|Dur:4th,DblDotted|Pos:1,2|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,DblDotted|Pos2:2,3

Agreed

Agreed

Not Tested

Agreed - although there is still a difference for beamed and unbeamed notes. For unbeamed notes - the tails highlight, for beamed notes, they dont.
(Although I'm not quite sure how I would treat the beams as opposed to the stems)

Not tested

Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-19 03:17 pm
I just experienced a bad crash with Beta 15, so it has been pulled until that issue can be resolved.

With regard to your example dotted split stem chord, that probably is not going to change. Same for the note highlighting.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-19 03:25 pm
OK - thanks for the info. Good luck in resolving the reasons for the crash.
Title: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 16
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-19 03:42 pm
Beta 16 is now available from the start of this topic. It includes the following fixes and enhancements:

Title: Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.1 Beta 16
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-19 05:44 pm
Hi Eric -

Re slurs: the horizontal location problems appear to have been fixed in beta 16, and thank you very much. We still have the vertical problems to go, as shown in the first attached example, where the first slur should look like the second. NWC has always appeared to locate the ends of the slurs either both on noteheads or both on stems: IMHO, an upward slur should attach to whichever end of the note is up and a downward slur should attach to whichever end of the note is down, and these determinations should be independent of each other on the two ends of the slur. I realize that this will not solve all problems with slur shapes, but I think it would solve the majority of them.

Re split-stem dots, they are much better than in the earlier betas, and again thank you very much. However, as Rich said, there is still room for improvement. The example he gave was extreme, and I can understand how you might not try to fix it; but that still leaves the case of a split-stem chord in which the lower note is on a staff line and the upper is in a space, and that setup is pretty common. In my second attached example, the first set of dots should look more or less like the second (one cannot get this exactly right, even with layering; the lower dot should actually be closer to the staff line). The program currently appears to avoid dot overlap in these cases by relocating the upper dot a bit higher; it should instead be avoiding it by relocating the lower dot quite a bit lower.

All of which you knew. Just trying to encourage you to act on that knowledge.

One question: you mention that a registry hack will shift between the XP and 95-98-Me line drawing algorithms. Which is the default? I presume it would be the XP version, but that isn't clear from your description.

Cheers,

Bill

<edit> since writing this, I have noticed some instances in NWC in which slurs begin on noteheads and end on stems. I guess my observation now would be that the conditions which determine the outcome of the conditional statements in the code regarding beginning and ending points of slurs need to be revised to repair problems like the one in my first example -WA
Post by: NoteWorthy Online on 2010-01-19 08:07 pm
One question: you mention that a registry hack will shift between the XP and 95-98-Me line drawing algorithms. Which is the default? I presume it would be the XP version, but that isn't clear from your description.

The default is indicated by the name. The XP method is used on all Windows NT based platforms (2000, XP, Vista, and 7), and the 95 method is used by default on those indicated systems. If you are using XP or later, you probably do not need to worry about it. In fact, under normal conditions, nobody should need to worry about.

I do not foresee any significant new changes to slurs for the 2.1 release.
Post by: Peppermint Lin on 2010-01-20 12:27 am
Staccato sound:
|Chord|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:2
|Chord|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:0

Can't I put staccato on two notes, without using layer staff?
Post by: Peter Edwards on 2010-01-20 07:31 am
I think there's a very simple fix to the dottted note cluster problem. 'Alfred' is quite specific
Two dots never share the same space.

But the fix is simply, where NW is putting two dots in the same space, just put one there and one in the space below. In many cases this will solve the problem without further ado.
With more complex clusters this will lose a dot (because the dot in the lower space will be duplicated) but the user can insert a text dot if so wished.

|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:0,1,2|Opts:Stem=Down
|Text|Text:"     ."|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:4|Placement:BestFitForward|Color:1
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-1,0,1
|Text|Text:"     ."|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:-2|Placement:BestFitForward|Color:1
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-1,0,1,2|Opts:Stem=Down
|Text|Text:"     ."|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:-4|Placement:BestFitForward|Color:1
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-3,-2,0,1

The first two chords would be correct, the last three would need extra dots shown in red.
Post by: Lawrie Pardy on 2010-01-20 07:48 am
I seem to recall this being looked at some time ago with unsatisfactory results.  I would certainly like to see it revisited, hopefully with a solution.

Post by: Rick G. on 2010-01-20 04:10 pm
Beta 16 is now available from the start of this topic. It includes the following fixes and enhancements:
  • Fix chord member add where new note conflicts with existing note
Perhaps: "Allow chord member add where new note conflicts with existing note"
Fix is a bit strong. Maybe it is good enough. Some things are always going to need a layer...
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-20 05:37 pm
Peter, if you have a three-note cluster with all three notes just a step apart, and if all dots have to be in spaces, and if no space can have more than two dots, than you are, ipso facto, going to lose one dot. In any cluster like that, there are only two spaces available.

I don't think this matters. I think the only place this note formation will ever show up is in keyboard music or in reduced study scores, and I think in either case the extra dot will be understood. The thing that needs to be fixed, here, is NWC's current method of dealing with dots in two-note clusters, which produces spaces with two dots in them any time the lower note of the cluster is on a line. In all other cases, the dot for the note on the line should go in the space above; but in that case, the dot for the note on the line should go in the space below. Ideally, it should go near the top of the space, but I would settle for putting it in the middle. In fact, if it goes in the middle, it will simplify the code in those cases where you do have a dotted three-note cluster. NWC won't have to take the dot off one of the notes. They will fall in exactly the same place and will look like one dot on the printed page.
Post by: Peter Edwards on 2010-01-20 07:14 pm
Sorry to say 'Alfred' disagrees with you. The dot is always absolutely central in the space, and extra dots can (should?) be added above and below as required (but, I think, no more than one of each) to compensate for the lack of available spaces.

That said, my suggestion completely solves the problem of any two note cluster. Interestingly a split-stem two-note cluster is treated correctly all the time so at present NWC is inconsistent!
Post by: William Ashworth on 2010-01-20 08:14 pm
Interestingly a split-stem two-note cluster is treated correctly all the time so at present NWC is inconsistent!

By "treated correctly all the time" I hope you don't mean that NWC treats them correctly, because it doesn't: half the time it ends up with two dots occupying one space. That's what we're asking Eric to fix.

Re good old Alfred, if you've read my previous posts, you know that I don't treat him with the same reverence everyone else here seems to. I prefer to go by the practices I observe in scores that have been well-engraved by hand, and in my own score library, the old engravers usually (emphasize usually) off-centered the dot for a note on a staff line: downward if the dot was in the space above the note, upward if it was in the space below. I checked that before I posted the first time, so I'm reasonably sure I'm correct. However - as I said - I can see the advantage of always centering the dot in NWC, and I'm comfortable with that. As to making sure all dots are present for a three-notes-or-greater cluster, I can't remember ever seeing that. A cursory check of a few piano scores in my library doesn't find any dotted three-note clusters, so I can't confirm or deny. I do think, however, that an extra dot a full space away from the note it applied to would be more confusing than helpful.

Sorry to be an old curmudgeon here....

Cheers,

Bill

<edit> I kept looking, and have now found some three-note dotted clusters, in my Peer International score of Charles Ives' Over the Pavements for piano and chamber orchestra, printed in 1954. Most of the clusters in this work (the space-line-space clusters, that is; line-space-line clusters have space for all the dots next to the noteheads) are as Peter described, with the extra dot in the space below the cluster, which is unoccupied by any note. A few actually show two dots in a single space. So I stand corrected on that point. But I still think it looks a bit weird.
Post by: Peter Edwards on 2010-01-21 02:29 pm
I was referring specifically to split stem clusters of two note as in:
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:-1
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-1,0
|Chord|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:0

The problem for two note clusters only occurs in the final instance and can easily be fixed.

Agreed that three or more notes can produce problems whatever the stem arrangement, but these too can be made more satisfactory than the present effort.
Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-24 07:26 pm
Beta 16 is now available from the start of this topic.

I've been trying to find it for 15 minutes now.  No luck.  Each beta announcement says the same thing, but since users can configure the forum to show older message first or last, it can be hard to find the start of the topic.  Indeed, it is here, because I cannot find the link to beta 16.

There's room to improve the accessibility of the beta download, please.  I suggest adding the URL to the About window that shows when you access Help. 

There is a button there, but it links just to https://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2upg/?installed=2.0.99.12 (https://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2upg/?installed=2.0.99.12).  That in turn links to the home page http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/ (http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/), and none of those links go to the beta download.

I'm lost and frustrated. 
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-24 07:45 pm
David, if you go to the very first message that Eric posted on the 23rd December 2009, you will find the link at the end of that first message.

Here is a link:

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7044.msg48312#msg48312 (https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7044.msg48312#msg48312)

I have my posts sorted so that the most recent come first which means that for me, the link is far away when I read this topic.
For me, at the end of this page, I have page links that say 1,2,3 and Go Down. So to get to it, I have to click 3 and then navigate to the end message (which is in reality the first message in this topic) and there I can find the link.

But I do agree it would be easier if the link to the beta was in the message that announced it. And when a new one was announced, the old attachment removed on the old message - just so that there is not many betas available for download.
Having said that - once you get used to where it is, you know that it's always going to be there, so you do know where to find it.

Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-24 07:48 pm
Thanks, Richard.  I figured it was something like that, but scrolling down and through 3 pages to find the link is frustrating.  I'm grateful for your assistance.
Post by: Richard Woodroffe on 2010-01-24 07:56 pm
Eric,
Thinking about David's point - perhaps when a new beta is announced, in that announcement, how about a link to the first message (just as I did in my reply to David), and a comment that the link can be found at the end of the message? All such links would then take you to whatever the current beta is - just a thought.

Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-24 08:21 pm
Better still, why not a hyperlink to the latest beta, or a link to the message announcing it, on the page you arrive at when you check for updates from the Help menu of whatever beta version you're currently using?
Post by: David Palmquist on 2010-01-24 08:46 pm
1.  Legato parts - the legato line MUST not be so close to a line of the staff as to be difficult to see -

|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:#1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3
|Note|Dur:8th,Tenuto|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:#1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3
|Note|Dur:8th,Tenuto|Pos:1
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar

2.  Accents
- if an accent were placed above the slur starting point instead of between the slur and the notehead, it would be easier to see AND would improve the appearance of the slur:

|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Accent|Pos:3|Opts:Crescendo
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted,Slur|Pos:2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur,Accent|Pos:#5
|Note|Dur:Half,Slur|Pos:6^
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur,Accent|Pos:#4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:5^
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:#4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:5
|Rest|Dur:8th
|Bar

and

|Bar
|Rest|Dur:8th
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur,Accent|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:#1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur,Accent|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar

3. Accents:

accents should not appear within the staff:

|Bar
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur,Accent|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:3
|Note|Dur:4th,Accent|Pos:2
|Note|Dur:8th,Accent|Pos:-1
|Bar

4.  (gasping for air) Slurs:

A slur line should not touch either an accidental marking nor a notehead, but it does both, at least in print preview.

|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:#4|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam=End
|Bar
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo,Beam
|Dynamic|Style:f|Pos:-8
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th,Slur|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End