Skip to main content
Topic: Chords and Staffs (Read 2688 times) previous topic - next topic

Chords and Staffs

Hello, I am using Noteworthy with Vista; I apologize if these are already addressed in help, but I can't access it.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

1) How do I create a chord with notes of different durations?  I tried alternating the stem direction, but that hasn't worked so far.  I am trying to get a chord of (sorry, I don't know the proper way to type this) 1/2-note B, 1/4-note A, 1/2-note E.

2) I have six measures of instrumental before the vocalist starts.  Is there a way to hold the vocalist staff until the start of the seventh measure?

I love the software and I look forward to your answers!

Re: Chords and Staffs

Reply #1
Noteworthy has ways to do most things.   Layered staffs are very good for odd chord situations.

The chord will work on one staff if the E is above the other notes in the chord.  If the quarter note is between the two half note elements of the chord, you can use a layered staff.  Put the half notes, stem down on one staff, highlight them and use Note Properties to increase note spacing by one unit.  Put the quarter note in the other staff and stem up.

Noteworthy does not yet support your second request.  It's been requested. 

Reply #2
Okay, layering is how I have been handling it thus far, so I guess I will continue with that route.  And I'll continue using rests to delay vocals.

Appreciate your help.

Reply #3
For the vocal delay, you probably know that you can make the rests and bar lines invisible, but I forgot to mention you could cover the staff lines themselves with "digital whiteout" up to the beginning of the part.  Search this forum for that expression. 

Reply #4
A part of your question that hasn't been dealt with is your inability to access the help files when using Windows Vista. You might want to check out this thread, which explains that problem and may give you some hope of getting through it.

Cheers,

Bill