Skip to main content
Topic: Harmony for instruments of the score (Read 2368 times) previous topic - next topic

Harmony for instruments of the score

I am trying to save time and paper with writing for multiple instruments.  I want to write harmony parts for my instruments all on the same page.  Right now for the Trumpets and Clarinets, I am having to write the harmony on 3 separate scores.  I want one score to pass out to the trumpets but have three different parts for them to play. I want to use this for the other instruments in the band.

Re: Harmony for instruments of the score

Reply #1
You might be able to layer at least two parts on the same score.  For, say, the 1st trumpet select the entire staff and press Cntl/E.  Under the Notes tab, force all stems, slurs, and ties upward.  Of course, it would down for the 2nd trumpet.

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2316 may also be helpful.
Since 1998

Re: Harmony for instruments of the score

Reply #2
Gregory:

I'm confused by your description of your goal.  "Score" usually refers to "complete conductor's score" or "condensed score" or "piano-vocal score", etc.  The individual band parts aren't usually called "scores", I don't think.
Let's just talk about 3 trumpet parts on one page to clarify.  If you want to use only one staff, you'll have to enter all 3 parts in chord form; trumpets that I have associated with would not be particularly happy trying to read this format.
If you are willing to use 3 staffs, the printed material is longer, but a lot clearer to the individual player; each line of music has 3 staffs linked together, much like vocal music where each voice gets a separate line to read (SAB, SSA, TTB, TBB).
Maybe what you want is to have the top third of the page for the 1st trumpet, the middle third for the 2nd trumpet, and the bottom third for the 3rd trumpet.  That is awkward to accomplish without using a word processor or scissors and paste!
Warren's suggestion would be the answer for two or four instruments (compare a standard hymnbook with SA parts in the treble clef and TB parts in the bass clef).
Can you clarify?