Skip to main content
Topic: Recording from a keyboard (Read 4416 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording from a keyboard

Anyone know how I would go about recording from my keyboard through a USB port? I don't really know much about computers! What software do I need?

Re: Recording from a keyboard

Reply #1
Firstly you need to install the drivers from the CD that came with your keyboard (Midiman USB drivers or whatever).  (If you haven’t got the CD, you’ll have to find the appropriate drivers on the Internet and download them.)
Then open Noteworthy/File/New etc. to get an empty score on your screen.
Go into Tools/Options/Record (you need to scroll to the right to find the Record tab).
Click on the Input Device Menu to get a list of all the available input devices on your computer.
Select Midiman USB input port (or whatever it’s called.)  Click OK.
In the Tools menu, there should now be a tick against Midi Input Active – if there isn’t, click it.
Now, when you play your keyboard, notes should appear on the highlighted staff.
If you want to do real time recording (as opposed to simply keying in notes and chords) there are one or two tricks.  Try doing a search of this forum – I answered that one a month or two ago.

Reply #2
If you want to record your MIDI performance, you will need a USB MIDI interface (hardware), and then follow the procedures spelled out in these faqs:

faq #52: How do I set up to use a MIDI keyboard with NWC?

faq #53: How do I record live play from my MIDI keyboard?

faq #54: How do I casually enter notes from my MIDI keyboard (step time)?

If you want to capture the digital audio via USB, you will need an audio capture USB device, and software designed for digital audio capture.

Reply #3
I can record in step time (that is, every note is a quarter note), using Tools/MIDI input active, but I followed FAQ ID 53 by pressing the F4 key to try to record from my Yamaha MIDI keyboard in real time, but could not get it to work as expected -- press F4, record from a keyboard, press F6 to stop.

Basically, no notes appear on my screen, nor do I hear anything, unless I am playing back an unrelated piece, in which case I can hear the notes I am trying to enter from the keyboard softly in the background while the piece is playing in the foreground.  Then the notes I entered appear in a separate window.  But it's almost impossible to enter anything correctly with the other piece playing in the foreground.

Is this the way the program is supposed to work?  Why do I have to play back an unrelated piece in order to record from a keyboard?  I find this absolutely bizarre.

The problem is either the program's designs or the confusing or incomplete instructions.  It should not have to be so difficult that users have to write to ask how to do this basic task.

I have read Noteworthy Composer 1.75's Help for the Record Command, but that confused me even more.

"The recording feature of NWC is built on top of the existing play back capabilities in the application. This feature allows a MIDI performance received from the MIDI input device to be recorded and captured while the current score is playing back. Recording is only possible when a score is open and is playing. If the current song is only three bars in length, then starting a recording will only allow up to three bars to be recorded. This is because recording and play back will both stop when the current song play back is finished."

I do not understand why I have to have "a current song" "or current score" in order to record from a keyboard.  Suppose I'm entering a brand new song.  Does this mean that it doesn't work?  What is the point of requiring a "current song" if the music recorded from real-time keyboarding gets put in a separate new file?  Do I have to synchronize my playing with whatever is playing back?  Am I limited to how long I can record from the keyboard by the length of the piece I am playing back?  Why must I play back a totally unrelated piece? I also don't understand the FAQ's use of the term "backgound song."

Again, if users are confused, it is the responsibility of the program authors to address these issues in their FAQs, help files and in new versions of the program.

So I am basically stuck with manual or quarter-note tone entry, unless some kind soul explains this in clear terms.

Thanks to all.  Remember, the customer is always right!

Reply #4
To put it in unkind terms: You don't have to understand it, just so long as you know how to use it. I can use my phone, even though I do not understand how it works, other than in VERY global terms.

Here again is what NWC says:
"The recording feature of NWC is built on top of the existing play back capabilities in the application. This feature allows a MIDI performance received from the MIDI input device to be recorded and captured while the current score is playing back. Recording is only possible when a score is open and is playing. If the current song is only three bars in length, then starting a recording will only allow up to three bars to be recorded. This is because recording and play back will both stop when the current song play back is finished."

This means that the program was there, and then the MIDI recording feature was built afterwards, on top of things that were already present in the program. Well, that bit was clear.

In practice, this means that you can only record while you are playing back. Is that limiting? Not really. Start with a new file, and enter a hundred bars. Select 1 for whole notes, and type <Tab><Enter> as often as you like. If you get bored, highlight ten bars, copy, and paste a few times. And so on.
Now, you can record as much as you like.

The deeper 'why' of this behaviour is left to the Noteworthy development team, but they are not very keen on answering why-questions. I think it has to do with adding, via Midi, to existing scores, even though that could be accomplished by cutting (copying) and pasting.

Bottom line: as long as you can understand how to use it (I hope the above helps) it's yours to enjoy.
Please do.

Reply #5
>unless I am playing back an unrelated piece

When recording, the goal is to open a piece, or rhythm section, that is related to what you are planning to record. At the very least, you need a "click track" to accompany you, so that NWC understands the tempo at which you are playing while it is recording. As stated in faq #53, you can use one of the existing Rhythm templates by going to File, New and selecting an entry from the Rhythm tab. You might want to create your own "click track" for this one occasion, or create your own template (faq #19) to be used again later.

Reply #6
Thank you Rob and Noteworthy Online for your quick replies.  I find this "record only when playing back" to be a program limitation that defies my expectations of simplicity.  As a user/customer that is always right, I respectfully request that a simple tape recorder approach without the need to manually cut and paste measures longer than my desired recording (say, 10 minutes) or to choose a "click track," whatever that is, or a template, be developed by Noteworthy.  It is just too much trouble; the learning curve is too steep.  So much of Noteworthy Composer is intuitive, yet it is also well documented; but this is a feature that, in my opinion, needs more work.  In fact, it is the difference between Noteworthy Composer being a good program and a great one, in my lay opinion.

I am glad that Noteworthy has a fine following, but my user feedback is what software development companies need to further expand their sales.

If a product does not meet my expectations as to ease of use or features, I will move on to a competing product that hopefully will.  If other users are comfortable with a product, then I wish them the best.

Reply #7
bgisok, good luck with your quest to find the software you're looking for.  I truly hope you find something that meets your needs.  It's more important to be composing/arranging/copying rather than worrying about software limitations.

I'll be sticking with NWC for now, but we likely all realise that software that works well for one person might not work for someone else.  It's probably about how much you want to compromise between features, learning, cost, and getting your work done.

I keep trying new notation software, in frustration with some limitations of NWC, but I keep coming back, as NWC is by far the best compromise for me to do what I need.  From what I've found, no other software is as easy to get started with,  including recording real time, even having to make a click track.

For people who are already using real-time recording, and are frustrated with having to start from the top each time, try this:

On your conductor track (you do have a separate conductor track, don't you?) add an extra "super-fast" tempo marking - dotted minim = 750.  If you have a tempo change in the music you've already completed, you'll need another super-fast tempo marking immediately afterwards.  A few bars before you want to add new notes, add another extra tempo marking at a slow speed.  You can move this along before you add the next lot of notes.

When you press <F4>, you'll hear chaos for the super-fast section, then you'll have some time for the slow tempo, and you can join in.

Afterwards, simply remove all the temporary tempo markings.  (You might even have a whole temporary staff, which make removal very easy!