Skip to main content
Topic: Adding rests, etc (Read 3601 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding rests, etc

Hi,

I have a newbie question.  I am trying to make a NoteWorthy Composer file of a song I have on sheet music.  Sounds simple, but I can't figure out how to add things such as half rests, eigth rests, whole rests, and double bar lines.  Can anyone give me a clue here?

Re: Adding rests, etc

Reply #1
Rests are most easily added using the space bar after you have selected the correct duration on the tool bar. The duration tools use pictures of notes to show duration, but the selected duration applies equally to rests that you insert into the staff.

See also:

Reply #2
Ohhhhh!  I didn't know that!  Thanks!

Reply #3
You may find it easier to use the numeric keypad to select note and rest durations rather than point and click each time.  1 is a whole note (semiquaver?) 2 is a halfnote, 3 is a quarter, 4 is a sixteenth, 5 is a 32nd, and 6 is a 32nd note.  If you hit the number and "enter," you get a note, if you hit the number and the space bar, you get a rest.

Noteworthy is excellent with these hotkeys. Most are fairly logical although there is the occasional hotkey that is not intuitive (g for time signature, forward slash for tied note, semicolon for slur).  The program is very easy to learn, very versatile, and does nothing but get better with every update.

Reply #4
I was going to point Dave to the WONDERFUL Adobe .PDF manual (that Fred Nachbaur wrote?) that used to be on the Sriptorum.  At least I think that's where it was.  But now I can't find it.  (I downloaded it at home.  I am at work now, checking to see if anyone posted a reply to my question...)

Anyway, is the NWC manual still out there somewhere?  That manual has been a godsend for me -- many a time!  If anyone can tell Dave where to find it, I'd highly encourage him to download it.

Reply #5
Perhaps you're thinking of the "NWC Command Summary" which was written by Barry Graham a few years ago, and more recently was  re-written by Richard Woodroffe to accomodate the new features of V1.7 and beyond (with the assistance of a few other NWCers). This is still available at the Scriptorium Documentation section.

Reply #6
I will look when I get home.  It is a 175 page .pdf file I downloaded that has the answers to almost any question I come up with.

Reply #7
The NWC Command Summary (while otherwise excellent) and the NWC Help are both lacking one piece of information:
The Page Setup Contents can be adjusted using the ... spacebar for selection/deselection.
Fortunately, I was given this wonderful tidbit here at the Forum.

Reply #8
Isn't the space bar that place where Han Solo killed that other guy by shooting him under the table?