Skip to main content
Topic: NWC files converted, by error, to Adobe Acrobat Document (.nwc) files (Read 5215 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC files converted, by error, to Adobe Acrobat Document (.nwc) files

AGGH!
     Came back to my computer after 6 weeks away from NWC to find all the desktop NWC icons for each tune file had changed in appearance  and would not open ( I was directed to browse programs  on my  hard drive to find a file that would open them but the installed NWC program would not appear) They will open through NWC .
           It was never like this previously.
   In my haste to try to fix it, I must have clicked something because now all my NWC (500 hours plus of work) have been converted to "Adobe Acrobat Document (.nwc)" files. ie acrobat is trying to open them not NWC . They will not open by clicking on them but only open through NWC.
             Does this make sense to anyone ? I realize now I should have asked the forum before blindly clicking around.
                     Any suggestions as to whether I can rescue the situation...I just uninstalled NWC and reinstalled it but that seems to have made the problem slightly worse as now on some NWC files will not open at all through NWC ( a window comes up saying it is a newer {2.5} version etc.)
      Any help much appreciated
             P.

Re: NWC files converted, by error, to Adobe Acrobat Document (.nwc) files

Reply #1
Sounds like you uninstalled a version that you upgraded via the web.  So when you now re-install from your cd, the cd version is older than the last version you used to notate the files.

Sounds to me as if you should:

1. re-install the viewer (that should fix the problems with clicking on a file name - get this from http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/viewer.htm )

2. Re-install NoteWorthy Composer from your cd (assuming you have version 2)

3. Upgrade to the latest version (v.2.5.5) from the NoteWorthy site. You can do this by running your newly installed nwc and then clicking "Help" and then "Access NoteWorthy Software.com. This will allow you to download the latest version. Install this, and hopefully, following this, all should be back to where you expect it to be.

Rich.

Reply #2
Thanks Rich.............done the above and that has fixed the later problem.
           However my NWC files still do not have the NWC icon but the Adobe pdf document  icon even though NWC viewer is loaded now. As I said, they open through NWC but not by a simple click.
            Any other ideas ?
                  Thanks again
                          P.               

Reply #3
Well, the first thing that I would try would be to try re-installing the viewer (again !!!!).
This is certainly the easiest way if it works.

If not, you have to look at the default progams that are associated with an extension.
To do that, go to  Control Panel/ Programs/ Default Programs/ Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Find the .nwc extension and double click it OR highlight and click the change program button.

If NoteWorthy Composer2 Viewer is not shown as current default, then browse for it and select it.

Do exactly the same for .nwctxt files.

HTH.

Rich.

Reply #4
Or you can uninstall Adobe Acrobat and use a less invasive, less bloating pdf file reader... :-)

Reply #5
Phew..............done !
          Did what you suggested Rich and all is rosy in the garden !
   I went "default Programs", clicked on it and it allowed me to change the program back to NWC.
           It's of no real interest now, but although I understand the second part of my problem................I was blindly clicking around...........why NWC removed itself from my desktop icons in the 1st place is a mystery.
             I have learnt a little more about computers with no loss of information.
   Many Thanks Rich for your time and consideration and to Flurmmy; I was about to delete Adobe before I tried the Rich approach.
                  I've used the forum before and have always found it tremendously helpful;            thanks again
P.

Reply #6
Glad it's all working again now.
Rich.

Reply #7
.........why NWC removed itself from my desktop icons in the 1st place is a mystery.
It's just Windows screwing you around. I don't know about Win7 or 8, but WinXP Pro allows you to right-click a file name to open it with a program that is not currently the default.  When you choose the program you want to use, you have to be careful to  NOT check the box that says "Always Use The Selected Program..."   I suspect you had it checked by mistake.

Once you've (inadvertently) picked that "Always Use..."  option, many programs such as Adobe will change the icons on all the files on your system that have the same extension, in this case .NWC

You can usually undo the mess by again right-clicking any file with your NWC extension, then choosing NWC as the program you want to open it, and this time, selecting "Always Use..."

Reply #8
When right-clicking and selecting "Open with", "Always use this program" etc IS CHECKED by default.  I have been caught by this before, and I'm an IT professional!  So don't feel too bad about it.  Windows can be very frustrating at times.

Reply #9
When right-clicking and selecting "Open with", "Always use this program" etc IS CHECKED by default
Not on my system, running WinXP Pro.