Skip to main content
Topic: again, soundfonts... (Read 2765 times) previous topic - next topic

again, soundfonts...

(note: i am posting this as a new message in fear that the old thread will be ignored. if that isnt the case please let me know and i wont do it again)

i appreciate the amount of replies i've been getting, and they have been very informative. thanks. but i'm still unable to use my soundfonts. heres what i am doing:
in soundfont > AudioHQ i have the Configure Bank tab open, which inside there is Select Bank: which it has a box of stuff. the first option is Synth and the following ones are 000-127. i load my soundfont (gort's synth) in the Synth option right? i tried putting it in various 000-127 banks but results never changed. when i load gort's synth there the 001 option becomes "used by bank 000". all of the instruments become visible in the next tab, "configure instrument", and i am able to access them using AudioHQ's Keyboard. now for the real trouble. in NWC i do not have an option of Staff>Playback Instrument or whatever. i am using NWC32 1.7. i have only 1 device used by playback that works which is the Creative S/W synth. the other options i have are A: SB Live! Midi Synth, B: SB Live! Midi Synth,
Midi Mapper and SB Live! MIDI Out[2420]. none of these work at all or they dont give me any sound. so i'm assuming i have to use the Creative S/W Synth.
so... i have a new song with a few random notes in the first staff. i go to the staff properties via the right click menu, and select the Midi tab. there it says play back device is Creative S/W Synth, and channel 1. the instrument in the soundfont that i'm trying to access (this could be any; i cant get any to work) is 000-092 Squeeze33, as it says in both soundfont studio and audioHQ. so, in NWC i am still unclear as to how i access this. various things i've tried dont work, as i still get the default synth instruments from the soundcard.
in the instrument tab in staff properties, as much as i understand it now is i have to select patch list type: numeric, 1 based. i select this, and in the Bank Select area i check the box Select a patch bank. now, what do i do? i have tried tons of different numbers in the Controller 0: box, which changes absolutely nothing. in the patch name box i have tried many different instruments but nothing there is changed from the default synth. in other posts i read that i'm supposed to access a menu option in NWC that allows me to "select a different patch bank"? it even says the option exists in NWC Help. but i have no such option. i have played around with this to a horrible extent, trying many different combinations but i still cant break out of the stupid default soundfont of the sb live! card. the SF i'm trying to use is the ONLY one i have loaded in AudioHQ, and it's instruments ARE playable in other apps such as the creative keyboard and soundfont studio. is NWC incompatible with the sb Live platinum? i know its something i'm doing wrong, so if anybody has any ideas please please throw em my way. i appreciate your time and listening to my ramblings. thank you :)
camus