Skip to main content
Topic: Note under rest (Read 4887 times) previous topic - next topic

Note under rest

Sometimes we have a halve note that fills the bass of a piano song for example. But then we have another melody in the left hand.

Now my question is how do I write a halve base note with a quarter rest above this halve note?

The only way I can get around this is to write a base note (for example F) with an exactly the same quarter note (also F) pasted together. But that isn't so aesthetic.

Maybe there isn't a solution for now...

But I wanted to be sure.

Re: Note under rest

Reply #1
  • Enter your quarter rest first.
  • Then enter your half note with <Control-Enter> (just like a chord).
If they appear in the wrong order vertically, try instead:
  • Enter your quarter rest first.
  • Then set the stem direction for the note you're about to enter (<Shift-Down> or <Shift-Up> - or click the buttons, or <Alt> <N> <M> or <Alt> <N> <M> <M>).
  • Then enter your half note with <Control-Enter>

Reply #2
I really can't believe I never did it that way...

Reply #4
What's wrong is that you've got the top "E" quarter note on the 2nd beat of the measure.  Since you started your upward stems with a half note, the top "E" should be on the third beat.

NWC won't support, however, keeping the bottom "E" as a half note and just adding the top quarter note "E" as a single quarter note after it.  You end up with 5 beats to the measure then.

So what you should really do is change the bottom "E" to two tied quarter notes, then "chord" the top "E" with the third beat.

I hope this makes sense.  I don't have a web site handy to post a link.  If you need an example, I'll mail it to you.