Skip to main content
Topic: 2nd time to Coda (Read 7050 times) previous topic - next topic

2nd time to Coda

Hi,
I'm a newby to NWC. On my first two attempts to enter a song into NWC, I ran into the same problem. Both had a "2nd time to coda" marker meant to redirect to the coda only on the 2nd time it was encountered. The 1st song I was able to use Special endings and Master repeats to trick NWC into working. The 2nd song has a D.S. al CODA that changed the situaion enough that I couldn't find a solution.
Is there a simple solution that I'm overlooking? Or perhaps, since both songs came from the same choir book, maybe the author is making up a non-standard use of "2nd time to coda"? I'm just  tenor in the church choir and don't know much about proper musical notation. But using this program is certainly forcing me to learn! Thanks.

Re: 2nd time to Coda

Reply #1
Perhaps a more detailed description of the song is appropriate. The second song i referred to is "LET THE WORDS OF MY MOUTH" from the choral collection "It Took a Lamb".
Details:
Measures 1-8 = intro
measure 9: MASTER REPEAT OPEN
measure 22: SPECIAL ENDING 1
measure 24: MASTER REPEAT CLOSE
measure 25: SPECIAL ENDING 2
measure 28: SEGNO
measure 42: 2nd time TO CODA
measure 59: D.S. al CODA
measure 60: CODA
measure 88: END
What I don't know how to do is to skip the "TO CODA" the first time through.

Reply #2
I think you can just leave the "To Coda" in its spot and it shouldn't execute until after it's gone back to the sign.  Just make sure you're using "f"low direction and not standard text.

Geoff

Reply #3
Thanks Geoff. I never even tried that. I just thought that the first time i encountered the TO CODA command, it would immediatly skip to the CODA. I still do not understand why it doesn't. But, in any case, it works correctly.

Also... I really don't have any idea what "Just make sure you're using "f"low direction and not standard text." means. I looked on various PROPERTY screens and couldn't find this setting???

Like I said, I'm a total newby at NWC and also just learning what all the musical notation means. Thanks again for your help.

Reply #4
The light bulb just turned on. You were telling me to press "f" to add the proper FLOW DIRECTION notation rather then just add "2nd time TO CODA" as TEXT.

I had done that OK. I just added the note "2nd time" as TEXT to appear just above the TO CODA symbol.

Many Thanks!

Reply #5
>I just thought that the first time i encountered the TO
>CODA command, it would immediatly skip to the CODA.
>I still do not understand why it doesn't. But, in any
>case, it works correctly.

In music notation (and thankfully, in NoteWorthy), the "To CODA" is ignored UNTIL you encounter a "DC Al CODA" or "DS Al CODA" (which act like a "switch").  Once you encounter either one of those "switches", the "To CODA" is "activated" and will be followed, the next time it is encountered.

Ray.

Reply #6
Ah... Thanks Ray... Teacher! I suppose that the only reason "2nd time" is printed in the music is as a reminder to the ignorant tenor section that can't read music anyway. :-)

Thank you.