Skip to main content
Topic: Tweaking MIDI keyboard input notation (Read 3785 times) previous topic - next topic

Tweaking MIDI keyboard input notation

I am working with four-part songs using the SATB template and one treble and one bass staff displayed (i.e. layering allowed), and I enter notes using a Roland A-90 keyboard.  When I play a four-note chord, it appears either entirely in the treble staff or bass staff, with many additional ledger lines as needed, depending on which staff is selected.  What I would really like is to have the upper two notes appear in the treble staff and the lower two notes appear in the bass staff.  Is that possible to do in NWC 1.75c?

Re: Tweaking MIDI keyboard input notation

Reply #1
In step entry mode, what you play is what you get.

In real time entry, there is a split function, but it is a simple division of the performance into the upper pitches and lower pitches. It is triggered by the "Maximum single track chord size" option.

Re: Tweaking MIDI keyboard input notation

Reply #2
Though it will require more "passes" thru the piece, you can get closer to or even exactly the notation you want by recording the treble staff and the bass staff separately in 2 passes.  For arrangments that include part crossing or unisons you may want to go further and record each voice part in its own staff and layer the Soprano and Alto parts into one treble staff and the Tenor and Bass parts into one bass staff.  This has the advantage of enabling you to pan the parts across the stereo field for more depth and natural sound and to assign a different instrument to each voice for greater clarity.