Skip to main content
Topic: adjust volume of a MIDI file (Read 4923 times) previous topic - next topic

adjust volume of a MIDI file

hello, I have a MIDI file and am wondering how to lower its volume.

I'm making an animated Christmas card with the MIDI playing in the background... the viewer can click spots on the card and a short .WAV file will play too... everything is fine except the MIDI is too loud leaving the WAV sounds uncomprehendable. I've edited the .WAV's to full volume level and it's still not enough. Lowering the MIDI volume level seems my only hope.

Is there a program that can do this task? (Import a MIDI file > lower volume level > export to MIDI)

Hoping someone can help this Santa in time for the big day. Thanks for you consideration.

Re: adjust volume of a MIDI file

Reply #1
Since you are in the NWC forum, it may be that you have Noteworthy Compose. If so, open the midi file in Noteworthy. Right click each staff and select "Properties". Select the midi tab and lower the "Part Volume" to the desired level (127 is highest; 0 is silent). Do that for each staff, as desired for balance at the generally reduced volume levels and then save as a midi file.

The midi play back should then be softer.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am a registered NWC user and tried your advice.

The problems I'm having with this method begin when I open the MIDI file in NWC. The import is not accurate, upon playing it back in NWC there are glitches in rhythm on some notes which throw off the composition (it is a basic version of Jingle Bell Rock). Note that I am using the default settings for MIDI import.

Overlooking that, when I lower the "part volume" under the "staff properties" it does indeed lower the volume so no worries there.

Then I try saving as a MIDI but upon playback the file has no sound at all. I've tried both type 1 and type 0 formats.
I've even tried saving as a MIDI after importing and doing no adjustments at all and still get no sound.

Any other ideas for how to pull this off in NWC? or another method altogether? Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Reply #3
Update:

I got the MIDI export troubles sorted out. Now I'm able to import the MIDI > lower volume > export to MIDI and get good results on volume. The only problem is the glitches that appear on import. It's mostly a rhythm issue. Just an off note here and there. Any tips on getting an accurate import? There seem to be many options for importing but again, I'm using all the default settings.

Thank you for your consideration.

Reply #4
NWC is not a MIDI file editor. If your songs start out life in NWC, then you can easily lower the volume prior to exporting to MIDI. If you have songs that are only available in MIDI format, you would do better to edit the MIDI files with a program better suited to this task. For ideas, you might start with these past threads: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1571, https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=943, https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=713

Reply #5
One of Günther Nagler's midi utilities lets you adjust volume and/or velocity of pre-existing midis. I think it's even called midivol.exe. In any case, you might browse his available utilities at:

http://www2.iicm.edu/Cpub#freemidi

Reply #6
Glad you got the midi import and volume working okay.

Not sure of the exact problem as to rhythm. You may want to play with the Note and Rest Resolution Settings and "Detect Compound Time settings on the import screens to see if that helps.

If you want to send the piece to me via email, I can try opening it in Noteworthy and/or some of my other sequencing programs. I would need to know where the errors occur, however.

Reply #7
Problem solved.

I just opened the MIDI file in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, lowered vol on each track, saved as MIDI, and it is a perfect copy of the orig MIDI only quieter now.

Thanks to everyone here for the feedback and Happy Holidays to all - this Santa is back in action!