Skip to main content
Topic: Whats Fermata with me? (Read 7998 times) previous topic - next topic

Whats Fermata with me?

When ever I write a piece with a fermata it plays well as a noteworthy composition, but as an exported midi the fermata is ignored. Is it me or is this common? Suggestions appreciated mth@notnow.com

Re: Whats Fermata with me?

Reply #1
I asked Eric about this. Basically, there is no MIDI equivalent of fermata, so NWC doesn't (at this stage) produce anything to achieve the effect.

The work-around is fairly simple, though it doesn't look so nice. Just tie however many notes (or rests on staffs that have the fermata over a rest) as you need onto the end of the chord/note/rest. No need to change the length of the bar, as that is just cosmetic anyway. Worked fine for me in quick-and-dirty mode.

I'd be intersted if it doesn't work for you though.

Andrew

Reply #2
There is another work-around, that I find less dirty because it doesn't change the number of beats per bar: change the tempo for the duration of this note.

It can be realized either with two tempo changes, or with one single {mpc}.

Reply #3
Adding a tempo change is the recommended way of accomplishing a psuedo fermata when exporting to MIDI. Our next release, 1.30g, also includes some fixes for exporting mpc and tempo variance changesinto the proper conductor track of a MIDI file (tempo changes exported by earlier versions of NWC may not be recognized by all MIDI players).

I hope this helps.

Eric, support@noteworthysoftware.com