Skip to main content
Topic: NWC makes the grade (Read 3435 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC makes the grade

I was just looking at the list of top 25 downloads from the Choral Public Domain Library. Three of them are presented in NWC format. Most of the others are in the "famous name" formats of the big (and expensive) commercial music software suppliers.

Not bad for shareware!

Re: NWC makes the grade

Reply #1
I was talking to the Finale rep at a trade show, asking how to do something in Finale.  I was using a sheet I had done in NWC (a page from stuff I SELL) to show him what I wanted to accomplish.  He said, "What's the problem, you did it right there."  I answered, "No, I did it here in Noteworthy, I want to know how to do this in Finale."  He was just positive that page was done in Finale.  He just could not believe I could make Noteworthy look so good.

I do about 98% of my work in NWC, it is faster, easier, and the output looks just as professional as anything else.

Reply #2
...the output looks just as professional as anything else.
except for the slurs being parallel to the staff instead of the run of notes...
but it is faster and way easier than Finale.

Reply #3
Nobody had yet mentioned the slurs being parallel.

Reply #4
Just take a look at a printout of a one-octave run or a leap of an octave.  One end of the slur "touches" the note, and the other end is a mile away.  This would probably be the reason someone created the NWSlur font (which I find unsatisfactory).

Reply #5
... I created the NWslur font. And yes, it is unsatisfactory.

Reply #6
NWC makes acceptable slurs for most part, though in your example, yes, leaves a little to be desired.  It does not bother me, as the speed of work in NWC is excellent.

In Finale, after a slur is created, each end has to be moved, the middle re-arched, each and every time.  Their latest incarnation is better, but still, it is a pain.  I could spend that time writing a few more measures.  Every single thing in Finale takes a look at the helpfile and much practice.  At the rate I crank out music, if I had to depend on Finale, well, I just don't have that much time left in my life.