Skip to main content
Topic: Forcing slurs, ties, staccatos, tenutos etc.to bottom of stems. (Read 2454 times) previous topic - next topic

Forcing slurs, ties, staccatos, tenutos etc.to bottom of stems.

Does anyone know if it is possible to force slurs, ties, staccatos, tenutos etc. to bottom of stems?  When layering, they interfere with notes above.  Thanks.

Re: Forcing slurs, ties, staccatos, tenutos etc.to bottom of stems.

Reply #1
I notate guitar parts and have run into this myself. Try selecting the note(s) and right clicking on the note and selecting properties (or just hit Alt-Enter). Under the notation properties box that pops up, select the note tab. On this page you can select where ties and slurs should show. As for the staccatos and such, I don't know how either. It would be nice to pick where the markings go and not just have them show up on the other side of the stem.

Reply #2
That has been on the wish list for some time.  I had thought that on a layered staff that if stem direction was forced all dots and dashes should be on the other end of the note my default, but stem direction is automatically forced for beamed notes.

The only workaround is to copy the staves (when finished) for a muted-displayed hidden-played pair.  On the displayed staff, take off all dots and dashes and replace them with text from a user font such as boxmarks or "extra ornaments".
Since 1998

Reply #3
The other "only workaround" for staccatos and tenutos might be adding the dots and dashes as text and inserting hidden staccato and tenuto markings from the Performance Style dialog for the correct sound. This saves adding an extra staff to maintain.

A custom user font is also not strictly necessary for the purpose. Almost any font with a period and a hyphen should work. When inserting the text, set the alignment to center and the placement to "at next note/bar" to correctly align the improvised symbols.