Skip to main content
Topic: Click track and other questions (Read 11485 times) previous topic - next topic

Click track and other questions

I play 2nd trombone in the local orchestra, and my wife sings in the choir. Occasionally, we get a piece in the orchestra that was hand-written, and I use Noteworthy to produce a much cleaner copy (along with appropriate copyright info). My wife uses it to learn new music...she enters the music (2nd alto), then listens to it. Both of us need a 'click track', or a track that gives us the beat, as sometimes we rest for long periods.
1) Can a 'click track' be made without making a new staff?
2) Is it possible yet to make multi-measure rests? I have 1.70, cant do it there, am looking forward to downloading 2.0..
3) Occasionally in the orchestra we have an accent commonly called a 'hat', which looks like an accent turned on it's side, narrow end up. Any command to do that?
4) Most of my creations are for trombone only. Why cant I make a label in the upper left hand corner: 'TBN 2' ? Or is that beyond this software?
5) Occasionally I have to use mutes. Inserting text allows me to put this in notation. Is there any way I could get the music to sound like mutes?

Re: Click track and other questions

Reply #1
Here are some things that might help.

1.  Add a new staff anyway - you can hide it (File | PageSetup | Contents) so that it doesn't print.  Put a percussion instrument playing a steady beat.  Maybe a different one on the downbeat.  Don't forget to use channel 10 for this staff.

2.  Search this site to find how to fake multi-rests.  I still use a method I learned hears some years ago, involving the BoxMarks2 font.  (Search on the site for this, too).  NWC2 Preview doesn't have this function yet.  I'm really hoping it will be there!

3.  Hat accents are not available yet.  I think it's only wind players who understand the difference between ^ > . and _ , and their combinations.  Other instrumentalists seem to be quite happy to mix > and ^.  For now, you'll have to fake it with text.  Try Justify [abbr=That's the way the program spells it!]Center[/abbr] and Alignment At Next Note.

4.  With NWC1 you'll have to add this manually as text.  For NWC2, you could put it as the Lyricist, but this only works for the first page.  You'll still need to add it as text on other pages.  Alternatively, you can export each page into a word-processor and use headers and footers there.  Search the site for more on this.

5.  To change the sound, you need to insert an instrument patch.  The sound you get depends on your playback device - whether it's a software synthesiser, something to do with the sound-card or a keyboard, or ... .  Try different patches, and don't be afraid to use something just because of its name.  I find the "French Horn" patch gives a better tuba sound than the "Tuba" patch, and I regularly add a copy of a trumpet staff and change to "Clarinet" patch to get a better trumpet sound.

Reply #2
Regarding #4, if you go to Staff Properties, click on the General tab, and type 'TBN 2' in the Name space, that should make 'TBN 2' show up just to the left of the first measure in Print Preview and on the printed page.  That's not exactly the upper left hand corner of the page, but at least it is a label for the part.
If you want it to show up on the computer screen when the piece is open normally, you'll need to do as Ewan suggests.

Reply #3
For the Metronome just make another staff say 4 crotchet (quarter notes) per bar ( measure) two bars long and then local repeat with a suitable number ie if your piece is 36 bars long - 18. Set wood block as instrument (or whatever), and tempo to what you want ,highlight the whole staff and - properties -View - never and F2 the staff above- Visual-layer.You could be clever and copy and paste this staff several times, setting the tempi to standard ie.60 - 72-84 etc.Keep the whole lot as a Template and Notate your new piece of music on a staff above.When you go to playback, first hit M or m which will open the 'Mute' dialogue. Mute the tempi you don't want and your metronome will play along.

Reply #4
Ok, for playback purposes, I made a second staff with quarter notes, used snare drum to make it easier to hear (as I play my horn along with the playback). This works good. For difficult rythmns I can change the 'beat' to beat out the rythmn.  Thanks for your help!

Reply #5
Ok, I ran onto another interesting situration. As has been discussed in other threads, it is rather difficult having a FINE in the middle of the piece where there are multiple repeats. I have the same situation, but during the first 'verse' I am not supposed to play in certain bars. However, during the second verse, I am to play all bars. But, after the 2nd ending, we DS, and I am supposed to play during all verses. Somewhat like this:
A(B)CBDBC

A= intro
B = Sign & verse...played only second, third time through
C = 1st ending...fine at end (second time only)
D = 2nd ending

Trick is this...there are two trombone parts on the music...I play the one that is needed. Sometimes only 1st trombone is playing during verse first time, second is out for most of verse, although there are notes written. Occasionally I am the only trombone in the orchestra!

I suspect that Noteworthy isn't up to this. I can print out the paper that I need to read the music, but the playback certainly won't act the way that it is supposed to be played.

Reply #6
G'day John,
not getting quite the exact playback required is a thing we live with...  People are still smarter than computers :)

However, a little bit of creative thought goes a long way...

For example:
At the end of section A but before the MRO place a hidden dynamic with a staff volume overide of 1.  This will make what follows (pretty much) inaudible and verse 1 will not be heard.

At the end of the 1st ending but before the MRC place another hidden dynamic to restore the correct sound level.  It's a while since I've needed to do this so I don't remember if you need to restore the staff volume with another override - experiment a little... :)

This way the part will playback all the time except for verse 1.  Of course, if there are dynamics within the verse (and there probably are) this does not work so well.  It also doesn't work so well if you have to play in the middle of verse 1.

In this case I have another work around that uses text dynamic markings and expression MPC's but it's a bit complicated for this post.

Of course, there is another way...  This is to have a hidden, sounding staff that is written out in it's entirety - IE no repeats etc. are used - or used only where it doesn't matter.  The visible staff is then muted.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
...written out in its entirety...

Reply #9
Its he! (grin)

Reply #10
Ya know, I've probably typed many thousands of words on this forum by now and though there has been a reasonable seasoning of typos etc. I think this is the first time anyone has picked me up.

To add to that the rules for the use of an apostrophe in " its/it's " are ambiguous at best.  However, lets clear the matter up!

I quote from the "The Macquarie Dictionary, 2nd Revised Edition" - For those who don't know, this reference is the official dictionary of Australian English produced by the University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Page 930, approximately 1/3rd of the way down the 2nd column:
its /its/, adj., pron posessive form of it. [poss. case of IT, formerly written it's]

I direct you to the last 3 words within the [] brackets.  I suggest that I am old enough to be permitted to use the formerly written form.

Graham R.  May I suggest there are more productive things to do than be the self appointed apostrophe police?

I respectfully submit that when you've typed as many words as I and others like me have without any mistakes at all, then you may have something to be picky about.

Until then, remember - people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Lawrie (who also doesn't hide behind an alias)

Reply #11
Lawrie,

I'm with Graham on this - the misuse of the apostrophe is something that makes me cringe, and I find it very difficult not to correct it, or to consider the perpetrator of below average intelligence. I can forgive it it people whose first language is not English, but even then, I would feel inclined to correct it for educational purposes.

The rules for using the apostrophe in it(')s are not ambiguous in the least - the archaic usage referenced by your dictionary is just that - archaic. I'm sure you're not THAT old!

We grammar pedants are here to stay!

Robin

PS: any grammatical errors in this message are deliberate ;-)

Reply #12
Hi Robin,
your point is taken, however, I definitely recall being taught both usages at school!  Less than 50 years ago.  Actually, it was a bit less than 40 years ago...  I would have been about 9.

In addition, my dictionary doesn't call the usage archaic, just former.  It also doesn't suggest that it has become incorrect.  I interpret the entry as meaning "no longer in common usage".

In any case - what benefit is there in pointing out typos?  And if people really want to be "grammar pedants" why has no one pointed out that I should be using colons instead of dashes as often as I do?  Or that I sometimes begin sentences with conjunctions?

English is a living language.  It is changing before our very eyes!  I might add that I, too, dislike many of the changes but I also realise that making a big fuss about it is pointless.

The real goal is effective communication.  If we achieve that is there really a problem?  Certainly rules of grammar and spelling are essential.  We need standards, but standards that prevent innovation and development are no longer beneficial.  They have become a straight jacket.

As for the possibility of my being below average intelligence... Well, you might be right but I certainly don't think so :)

Lawrie

PS: any errors, grammatical or otherwise, may be a sign of my diminishing mental capacity ;)

Reply #13
I think the rules are very clear, but I also think it's rude to correct someone who is trying to help another person.

Reply #14
I agree it's irritating when people correct your grammar. I'm just making apologies that some people, such as myself and Graham, suffer from an obsessive disorder that compels us to make such corrections.
My objection was to your objection! I was trying to make my point without sounding too snotty - hence my comment at the end. Otherwise, I think I failed: my apologies.
Let's face it, English is a sod of a language, mainly thanks to the likes of Caxton and Johnson, and Australian and American variants make it even nastier.
I promise to try not to get too worked up at incorrect usage, if you promise not to get too upset when I, or others such as Graham, allow our compulsion to get the better of us.

Robin

Reply #15
G'day Robin,
hmm, looks like my communication wasn't as effective as I had hoped.

I too apologise.  Clearly I failed to convey my, lets call it, amusement.  On re-reading my last post it does sound somewhat snotty and irritable.  I didn't intend it to be so.

Instead I was hoping to present my case and show that I was amused, hence the smileys. My preference is to entertain people, not put them down.

Lawrie

Reply #16
We do have a habit of getting off-topic around here, don't we?
My apologies (again!) to the original poster for hijacking his post.

Back off-topic - I agree, Lawrie. Let's keep it light!

Robin

Reply #17
Well, this was not a grammatical error:

"I can forgive it it people whose first language is not English,"

it was simply a typo.  There's no point to mentioning it.

Similarly, there's not much point in worrying about the placement, or lack, of an apostrophe or two.  To see why, read the beginning of this webpage:

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

Reply #18
Lawrie, Sounds like there are  Pommy Auto-erogenists everywhere.Don't worry too much, you're a good guy.

Reply #19
G'day David,
I've seen that text before, but the article that accompanies it is quite fascinating.  Thank you for the link to a good read!

Just to continue off topic - I just about have myself convinced that Windows has a routine in it specifically designed to bugger up my typing.. :)

I've lost count of the times I've typed "your" and upon re-reading the text seen "you".  Something keeps swallowing my "R"s...  :)

Hi John,
hmm, not sure I want to go there... :)

...you're a good guy. - "I know.", said Lawrie whilst buffing his fingernails and smiling fatuously, "Thank you". :)

Seriously though, I just like to try to help.  I reckon if everyone was more interested in helping others than satisfying their own, often petty, agendas this would be an even more wonderful world.

Sadly, no one's perfect, not even me... :)

Graham R. and Robin.  Perhaps my compulsion to [abbr=interfere?]help[/abbr] is similar to your compulsion to correct.

'avagreatweegend everyone,
Lawrie

Reply #20
Be Extra careful with your "R"s... (don't speak out loud!)

Reply #21
Ha! I new I was making a rod for my own back - hence the disclaimer at the end.

(Slinks away, tale between legs)

Reply #22
propr spelin an gramer are four chumps

Reply #23
Ok, here are the specifics to the piece in question:

A 4 bar intro - no problem
A 32 bar verse/chorus which is repeated. I am supposed to play only the second time.
At the 17th bar, the first trombone ONLY is supposed to play for four measures, then second trombone joins in unison.
First, second endings - no problem (tacet)
8 bar section after second  ending which DS's to top of 32 bar verse/chorus, but I have to play this time...
Sign at bar 16 of 32 bar section to Coda...no problem.

It would be nice if NWC could play the piece as it is written, but as there are dynamic changes during the first verse, it can't. It really is no big deal, however, I would expect a music authoring program to be able to handle at least some odd arrangements. That and I still find it funny that the 1812 piece uses a trill as annotation for a drum roll.