Skip to main content
Topic: Outboard MIDI question (Read 2681 times) previous topic - next topic

Outboard MIDI question

I've recently been trying to configure NWC to play sounds through my Yamaha S80, and I was hoping to get some help here.

I'm using an Audiophile2496 sound card (it has no onboard synth, and since the S80's patches sound like heaven itself compared to Microsoft's soft synth, I figure I'd try to go that way), NWC, and the S80 (the S80 is obviously connected for both MIDI and audio). So far, I've been able to achieve playback of anything that's set to MIDI channel one, but this limits me to one instrument. Actually, does it? I've been going by that assumption and never actually tried to put two different instruments on the same channel, but it seems like it wouldn't work...

Anyway, does anyone know what settings I need on NWC to achieve this type of playback? Or is this an S80 issue? I'm really not familiar with the its more technical side: I bought it primarily because it had excellent piano sounds and action, and I can't afford or fit a real piano in my life. If it *is* something to do with the synth, could someone point me in the right direction?

-m

Re: Outboard MIDI question

Reply #1
From what I gather, it should be capable of 16-channel GM operation, but will probably take setup for that mode on the keyboard end of things. It might be worth a cruise around the Yamaha S80 part of their site. The user manual is available online also, in case you find it easier than hardcopy (i.e. search options, etc.)

Reply #2
Thanks, Fred. I was afraid that was the case. Thanks for the site link, though. That should help. The S80 is actually *not* GM compatible (i.e., it doesn't have a GM soundbank), but this won't be too big an issue for me.

By the way, I was searching the archives (I don't even remember what I was looking for) and I came across some posts on MIDI notation and the guitar. Several people mentioned some really interesting tricks and techniques to get MIDI guitar playback to sound more realistic. Some demonstration files were mentioned (including, I believe, some of yours—that's why I thought I'd bring it up), but I was not able to find them. Are they posted somewhere? I'd really love to hear what you guys have been able to achieve, being a guitar player myself. I tried your site, but there seem to be a lot of dead links...

-m

Reply #3
Dead links? Hm.. if you can find them again, could you please let me know where they are?

Re: guitar, I did up a User Tip on this which might help. Also, if you go to the Scriptorium - Sor section you'll find a few more.

Cheers,
Fred email here

Reply #4
Yes, that mini-tutorial was one of the things I read. It was originally a forum post, no? And your Sor pieces are quite beautifully done. I'm impressed. If I ever find myself up to the challenge of notating some guitar, I'll keep your techniques in mind. Thanks.

By the way, all the links seem to be working now. I'm not sure what was wrong, but it's not wrong anymore =).

-m