Skip to main content
Topic: nwc files on a website (Read 3994 times) previous topic - next topic

nwc files on a website

Hi ,
     I'd like to put some nwc files on my website ... I have made a file with a nwc file in it and linked it to one page of my website . But it doesn't work properly : it doesn't open the nwc file , obviously .
     Does anyone know how to do this ? I use dreamweaver 2 and have tried , I think every kind of tools : activex , plugin , flash , etc...
     Thanks .

Re: nwc files on a website

Reply #1
What are you trying to do. Are you trying to display it so that it plays in the plugin or just do that people can click and download?

If it's just so that people can click and download, then the following should work ok

Code: [Select · Download]
<A HREF="full_url_of_file.nwc">Name of Music</A>

But this will need to be within TR and TD definitions and so on.

Rich.

Reply #2
Any of the two , but apparently click an download seems easier .
 I'm not used to the html code but I will try ...
Thanks .

Reply #3
Go to the Scriptorium http://nwc-scriptorium.org and look at one of the pages that has nwc files on it.
Click on one of the nwc files and see if it does what you are looking for. (Suggest you click on one that is NOT version 2)
If it does what you are trying to do, then go back to the page and select view / source to see how the page is built.

Rich.

Reply #4
I went to the Scriptorium and it doesn't work . That's strange because 2 years ago , it worked , I downloaded some files . There is the same problem than with my site , a little red cross appears on an empty page  instead of the nwc file .

Reply #5
         It works finally ! In the Scriptorium , I noticed that some files where openable : zip files .
  I compressed the file with the nwc file inside into a zip file and it is now downloadable from my web site .
          Thanks .

Reply #6
I think the reason that you get the little red cross is because you have the plugin installed.

The plugin doesn't work with later versions of Internet Explorer, and it doesn't work with version 2 files.

If you uninstall the plugin, you can then configure so that when you click on an nwc file on the net, it will open in nwc version 1 or version 2 as appropriate. This loads into NoteWorthy on your PC rather than in your browser, leaving you free to carry on browsing whilst listening to the music.

If you have available a none IE browser (Opera, Fox etc) then if you install the plugin for those browsers, all will be ok as long as you don't try to look at a version 2 file.

For more info on the plugin and Internet Explorer, go here :  http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/news/21.htm

It's been a long time since Eric updated us about what he intends to do about the plugin, and I note that this article hasn't changed recently. Perhaps he might give an update on this soon.

Rich.

Reply #7
Perhaps an even easier option is to install the nwc2 viewer instead of the plugin. That will open and play both versions. You can also include a link to the viewer on your web page.

Reply #8
         I have just uninstalled the plugin and indeed I can again download nwc files from Scriptorium and link directly my website to a file nwc without compressing it .
         Thanks again !

Reply #9
I have just uninstalled the plugin and indeed I can again download nwc files from Scriptorium and link directly my website to a file nwc without compressing it .
         Thanks again !

Great - Of course you can still download with the plugin installed - you just need to know that it's the plugin that's doing the damage and you need to right click and select "Save Target As" rather than left clicking.

But as Tina says, install the viewer. Then it will link the downloaded file to the correct NWC program and will play the NWC 2 file if you don't have NWC 2 Composer.
Rich.