NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: Sterghios on 1998-09-30 04:00 am

Title: Pitch bend
Post by: Sterghios on 1998-09-30 04:00 am
Me daft
Me no understand computers
me see numbers when want pitch bend
Could somebody please explain to me in plain MUSICAL terms what the heck those numbers represent?
Can't I just ask the poor thing to pitch bend from A to A flat or to B?
Not in darned numbers?
And if not, what is the numeric value that represents bending of a semitone (in either direction)?

Thanx
Title: Re: Pitch bend
Post by: Fred Nachbaur on 1998-09-30 04:00 am
You no daft. Computers daft.

Midi controllers like pitch bend are expressed as numbers between 0 and 16383, or put another way (as NWC does) between -8191 and +8192.

The default pitch-bend definition for midi is +/- one whole tone (two semitones). So a semitone is a change of 4096 in the pitch bend parameter. Or, one cent (hundredth of a semitone) is a change of about 41.

This does permit very fine tuning (perhaps much finer than anyone can hear).

Note also however that most synths allow you to change the pitch-bend range. I have avoided doing this myself, just to be sure that my pitch-bends sound the same on any midi-compatible synthesizer.
Post by: Fred Nachbaur on 1998-09-30 04:00 am
Correction. *Me* daft.

The pitch bend range is +/- one *whole* tone, or a total swing of four semitones. So a semitone is a change of 2048, not 4096 as stated in my last message.

So to use your example, to pitch-bend from A to Ab, use -2048; from A to B use +4096.
Post by: NWC-Support on 1998-09-30 04:00 am
See also: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=123, https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=151, https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=372
Post by: Matthew Collinson on 2003-02-16 03:06 pm
Fred, you were right in the first place:
-8192 = -1 tone
-4096 = -1 semitone
-2048 = -1 quartertone
2048 = 1 quartertone
4097 = 1 semitone
8191 = 1 tone.

Also if you change the 'MSB something depth' to 127, the pitch bend has a total range of a possible not 50 semitones or tones, but 50 full OCTAVES (12 semitones per octave). Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it switches.
Post by: Arthur King on 2003-02-17 03:07 am
Could you explain more about the 'MSB something depth'?  I've looked in the Help file, but it is a little lacking as to what you mean.
Post by: Matthew Collinson on 2003-02-17 06:55 pm
I meant 'Data Entry MSB'.

Go to: Insert>Multipoint Controller.
Controller: Data Entry MSB
Style: Linear Sweep
Time Resolution: any
Sweep Resolution: 1
Put all the sliders to 120.

now chose the Pitch Bend controller.
Style: (your choice)
Time resolution: (your choice)
Sweep resolution: (your choice)
the sliders can be put at any position.
Post by: Ertuğrul İnanç on 2003-02-18 10:28 am

Ugh! So, what to do for absolute control? How can we use PB for -say- sliding a perfect fourth (5 semitones) with DEMSB?

Post by: Peter Edwards on 2003-02-18 04:03 pm
I couldn't get this to work on my SB Live, but on an unknown card in my work machine (Compaq) the method seems to be

1. Set the Pitch Bend to maximum (-8192 0r 8191). This represents a semitone when combined with the MSB, so for a perfect fourth you'd set the MSB to 5.

It seems to work with successive MPCs so needs resetting. I shudder to think what happens with other MPCs on the same channel. It's also, possibly, soundcard dependent, but if it isn't than it could be quite useful.
Post by: Arthur King on 2003-02-18 05:49 pm
I couldn't get this to work on my SB Live! either.  I've tried many different interpretations of the directions, to no avail.
I need to have a trombone gliss for a tritone, and three for a perfect fourth, so I would love for this to work on my system.
More details, please?