Skip to main content
Topic: Trying to convert midi to notation - too many staffs result (Read 4644 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to convert midi to notation - too many staffs result

I want to convert a midi file to notation. I open the midi file and set the maximum single track chord size as high as I can to avoid any staff splits.  The result is 5 tracks with one channel each (each of which will result in a seperate staff according to the program). I want the notation to contain only a treble and a bass staff (like a piano score) but can't seem to get it to happen.  Any ideas?

Re: Trying to convert midi to notation - too many staffs result

Reply #1
Staff layering would be a starting point.

Reply #2
This means that your MIDI file contains more than 2 tracks. As David points out, if you believe that all of these tracks rightly belong to a piano grand staff, you can layer them (although this would be unusual). A better approach would be to listen to the result, and then remove any tracks (staves) that do not pertain to piano (for example, remove any percussion tracks).

Reply #3
Another possibility (I have come across this):

Perhaps the creator of the MIDI file intentionally made extra tracks, so that custom "stylings" could be added or removed from an underlying, basic composition.

Reply #4
Open the Midi file with NWC.
Save as a Type 0 midi (one track)
Open the Type 0 Midi file but this time DISABLE "Map each channel to a new staff" on the second page.
Leave "Maximum single track chord size" at it's default value.

On the following page of the dialogue the whole file will be reduced to two tracks.
Read the pitch range of each track (eg F5 - G10) and (C0 - E5).
With each one Highlight then Edit to change the pitch range.
For example edit the first (treble) track to take notes from middle C upward by changing the lower limit to C5.
Press OK.
Edit the second (bass) track to cover C0 - B4.
Press OK.

When complete Click on Next then Finish.

You should have all the file notated on treble and bass clefs.

And now for the hard work - editing to make it readable.

Reply #5
Thanks, Barry.  Your instructions worked superbly.  I now have the midi in 2 staffs, treble and bass, as I was trying to do.

Reply #6
Leave "Maximum single track chord size" at it's default value.
should read ...at its default value.

Reply #7
.......... or ignore the word - it makes no difference to the result of the conversion.

Reply #8
Good advice, Barry. I gather that your method amounts to first compressing all the notes onto one staff (no matter how many originally encoded), then splitting it into exactly two staves.

Reply #9
At the risk of sounding pedantic, it compresses all the notes onto one midi track, rather than NWC staff. There is usually a one-to-one correspondence between tracks and staves, but it's not cast in stone.

Note that if the "Map each channel to a new staff" function is not disabled, NWC will import events on each midi channel onto a new staff in an attempt to preserve the original track structure. That's why Barry was quite explicit in specifying that this be disabled, forcing import of events on all channels into two split staves.

Reply #10
That's not pedantic, Fred, it's good commentary. I stand corrected.

Reply #11
I should have added Eric's advice.
Before saving the original Midi as a type 0 make sure you delete any tracks on channel 10 to avoid adding percussion notes to the mix.

Reply #12
Hello,

I realize this is an old thread, but I have a problem similar to the one being discussed here. Namely, when I convert my MIDIs to sheet music in Composer, some notes that belong in the bass clef actually end up in the treble. I've followed the instructions outlined here, and it has helped somewhat, but the result still doesn't look the way an actual sheet music score of my piece ought to look. There are still a few bass notes that end up in the treble clef. Is there something I'm missing?

Type 1 MIDI files are the worst, with three or four staves (more often three).

Reply #13
If the type 1 MIDI file uses a separate track for every staff in the score, then it should actually yield the best results. For type 1 files, you should usually:

• Up the "Maximum single track chord size" value to 24 or more, depending on the material

• Where necessary, alter the import instructions to make sure that the correct parts are converted to one or more staves (this will be an iterative process if you are not familiar with the MIDI file contents)

• After import, it will likely be necessary to do various alterations to create a workable score
You can manually change the clef of selected sections using the Clef Change (faq #5) procedure.

Reply #14
I have the opposite problem.
I have a bunch of MIDIs of drum patterns that I probably got from the Scriptorium (thank you SO MUCH to whoever made them!) that I would like to open with a separate staff for each instrument (bass drum on its own staff, snare drum on its own staff, claves on its own staff, guiro on its own staff; you get the point).
Even if I set the "Maximum single track chord size" value to its smallest value (don't remember if it was a 1 or a 2), I still get multiple pitches on one staff.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.