Skip to main content
Topic: Missing bars on first measure (Read 2831 times) previous topic - next topic

Missing bars on first measure

When I create a score that uses a one-line staff i.e for a solo insturment, the bar on the left side of the first measure of each line is missing when I print. Any way to fix this?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Missing bars on first measure

Reply #1
You do not really need it. Most musicians do not insert a barline before the very first measure.

Reply #2
It's actually considered standard practise to not have a beginning barline or "cap" on the staff if there is only a single staff in the system. The present behaviour was provided due to user request; early versions of NWC did insert the cap even on a single staff.

If you do want the cap, simply create a second staff; there doesn't even have to be anything in it. Layer the first (actual) staff with the second. Voila. Print and Print Preview will now be displayed with the beginning barline.

Reply #3
If you want something more ornate, you can also change the staff's style from "standard" to "orchestral."

Reply #4
Fred and All:

Thanks for the 'standards'. I've been reading music for years but this is the first time I've had to pay attention to the details. It's good to know I can choose, and that it's not a defect in NWC.

Mike

Reply #5
Not totally appropos to the issue, but if you might be posting pieces to the net, you may want to add a further introductory bar with a rest before the piece (unless there is already a reasonable rest with a pickup note). Some of the softsynths out there take a moment or two to "fire up" and may miss a note if the piece begins right out of the gate.