Skip to main content
Topic: Adding words to songs (Read 2325 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding words to songs

I'd like to add words to a song, but the only 'text' information I can find in Help refers to musical instructions.

Re: Adding words to songs

Reply #1
You probably want to add lyrics. They can be added using the respective command in the menu, by clicking the toolbar button with a capital L on it, or by pressing Ctrl+L on the keyboard.

Reply #2
If you are new to adding lyrics, there are a few points to catch you out.
if you want a syllable to span two notes you have to add an underline after the syllable in the lyric. If you have tied notes, the syllable is spread along the tied notes without having to add the underline. If you do not make sure that all syllables are separated by a space - watch out if there are commas, etc. strange things will happen to the relationship between words and notes!
But don't worry, a little practise makes perfect.
Read the User's Guide which accopmpanies the program.
Tony

Reply #3
Tony's reply is a good one, and the one I have used historically.

In more recent releases, NWC added the option of whether to have a syllable on a note. Highlight the note, right click, check the lyric syllable option, and note the selections: always, never, default (note: the selection will apply to all lyrics). I have usefully played with the option where my lyrics may differ a bit. For instance, if I have a two-note slur, I may provide for a lyric syllable "always" on the second note, and then simply insert a space and underscore on the lyrics where the initial syllable is to carry through the second note.

Hopefully, haven't gummed up the explanation too badly. Simply wanted to note the additional option.