Skip to main content
Topic: Constricted measures (Read 4901 times) previous topic - next topic

Constricted measures

First of all, congratulations for this music editing program. I have tried with others but NWC is unsurpassed in terms of ease of use. However, I do a query that I think it was discussed before but can't find it in the Forum.
I mean how to compress the visual length of bars or measures so the score so to use less paper when printing the score.
"Notes > Extra Spacing" adds more space between notes, but is there any way to reduce the space between them?. In this Option there are no negative numbers. Ideally there should be an option to distance the notes (or other related symbols) in a certain proportion from the standard throughout the score and/or at least within a measure.
Is it possible to achieve this?
If not, I suggest considering it in a future release of the NWC.
Many thanks in advance.

Re: Constricted measures

Reply #1
Welcome to the forum.  There are several things under File, Page Setup that you may want to try:
  • Fonts, Staff Metrics, Change (make smaller)
  • Options, Increase Spacing For Longer Notes (uncheck)
  • Margins, Margins, various (make smaller)

Reply #2
Also try unchecking the increase spacing for longer notes checkbox on the options tab of the page setup dialog. You can get there either through the file menu or by clicking the "page setup" button (the one that looks like an open book) on the button bar.

Reply #3
There is no way I have found that will put, for example: "2 beamed eighth notes" closer together.
There are a variety of things that can be done to get some things closer together:
All these are employed in the attachment. I wish it were easier...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Thank you, gentlemen, for your answers. Some ideas I had already been using, others are new and I will be testing them.
Best regards

Reply #5
And what about doing the opposite? :-)

I'd like to leave more space before the second note in the triplet, but using "extra note space" the accidental don't move and using "extra accidental space" the accidental goes in the wrong direction.
A possible solution would be allowing a negative "extra accidental space", but I'm sure Rick knows a trick...

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.0)
|SongInfo|Title:""|Author:""|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:""|Copyright2:""
|PgSetup|StaffSize:18|Zoom:5|TitlePage:Y|JustifyVertically:Y|ExtendLastSystem:N|DurationPadding:Y|PageNumbers:1|StaffLabels:None|BarNumbers:Plain|StartingBar:1
|Font|Style:Staff Italic|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:11|Bold:Y|Italic:Y|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Staff Bold|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:9|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Staff Lyric|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Title Text|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:24|Bold:Y|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Text|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:12|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:Page Small Text|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:13|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 2|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:13|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 3|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:13|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 4|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:13|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 5|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|Font|Style:User 6|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:8|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|PgMargins|Left:1.78|Top:1.78|Right:1.78|Bottom:1.78|Mirror:N
|AddStaff|Name:"Right Hand"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:18|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Style:Upper Grand Staff|Layer:Y|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Patch:0|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-3,1,2,4|Opts:Stem=Down,Crescendo
|Rest|Dur:8th|Opts:Crescendo
|Chord|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:x-3,x4|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:#-3,#4|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam
|Chord|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:x-3,x4|Opts:Stem=Up,Crescendo,Beam=End
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-2,5|Opts:Stem=Up
|Rest|Dur:8th
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:#0,2,4,#7|Opts:Stem=Down
|Rest|Dur:8th
|AddStaff|Name:"Left Hand"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Style:Upper Grand Staff|Layer:N|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:2
|StaffInstrument|Patch:0|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Rest|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Down|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:1^,3^|Opts:Stem=Down,XNoteSpace=1,Tie=Downward
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:1,3|Opts:Stem=Down,XNoteSpace=1
|Rest|Dur:4th,Dotted|Opts:Stem=Down|Visibility:Never
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Re: Constricted measures (aside)

Reply #6
Recently I have been unable to read nwctxt posted here.  When I copy it to the clipboard, bring up NWC and press Cntl/Shift/V, I just get "!NoteWorthyComposer(2.0)" above an empty staff.  Has this happened to anyone else?
Since 1998

Reply #7
This happens because you're trying to paste on a staff a whole .nwctxt file, not an NWC clip.
An .nwctxt file can contain more than one staff and is a complete alternative to the standard .nwc format.
An NWC clip is just a snippet.

Hint for Eric: when the clipboard contains a .nwctxt file, why not to paste it in another (new) window?

Reply #8
Maurizio:
  One of the 2 methods in the attachment may fit your needs.

Warren:
  Shift+Ctrl+V only works with clips and single line objects.
  IMO, it should work with nwctxt, which is why I wrote: PasteAsFile.vbs
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
Inserting a text composed of blanks only and selecting preserve width...
Almost trivial.
I feel stupid for not having found that solution myself.
Thank you, Rick!

Reply #10
Hi Warren -

Rick and Maurizio have been quite clear re the source of your problem, but perhaps not so clear on the most straightforward solution: save the nwctxt as an .nwctxt file (with that extension), then simply open the file in NWC. You will probably have to click on the "files of type" dropdown box in the "open file" dialogue and choose "NWC text" as the file type. You can tell the difference between a file and a clip because the clip will have the word "clip" in its first and last lines.

HTH -

Bill

Reply #11
.....  but perhaps not so clear on the most straightforward solution.....

Well Bill, I can understand you thinking that, if you haven't installed Rick's utility, but once installed (and it doesn't take long to install), I can assure you that it is simplicity itself to use and you don't need to even look to see if it is clip or nwctxt format.  All you have to do is to copy the extract from the forum, then click a shortcut on your desktop. That's it ! Rick's utility does the rest.  If, instead of copying one extract in a posting, you copy multiple postings with multiple mixed clips and nwctxts then the utility still takes care of it all !

Recommended !
Rich.

Reply #12
  Shift+Ctrl+V only works with clips and single line objects.
  IMO, it should work with nwctxt, which is why I wrote: PasteAsFile.vbs
I chased down that link and installed it--works as advertised! Many thanks for your help!
Since 1998