Skip to main content
Topic: IDFEdit and Drum Patches (Read 3685 times) previous topic - next topic

IDFEdit and Drum Patches

I've been trying to repatch my sound card so that percussion
parts can be written for real players. I found all of the
previous threads on this and created a new patch using IDFEdit.
I selected this new patch as the default for windows but
when I use NW, the percussion reverts to is default patch.
What have I missed???

Ian

Re: IDFEdit and Drum Patches

Reply #1
two things:

1 - You new patch assignments must work as you intended when you play back a MIDI file using the Windows Media Player

2 - You must select the Midi Mapper as the ONLY play back device in NWC (from Tools, Options, MIDI Tab).

Reply #2
Ian, did you have any success mapping to standard drum notation. I have the same problem. In NT Composer I can select midi-mapper or Creative midi-mapper (sound blasters mapper) as output. However, in windows midi setup from the control panel, there is only Creative midi-mapper. No Midi-mapper. In any event, no matter what I do, it doesn't work. In IDFEDIT, I copied the General.IDF file to Drum.IDF and mapped only the percussion keys (didn't touch the instrument and key mapping). Is this correct? If you had success, please give a detailed explanation of what to do>
Thanks....Jerry

Reply #3
I've struggled with IDFEdit too.
If someone has made this work around successfully please post the procedure on the forum.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be grateful.

Reply #4
FYI: In Windows >=95, there is no explicit reference to a MIDI Mapper in the Windows system. However, it does actually exist, just without the recognition. You control which devices it uses for playback from the Multimedia applet in the Control Panel. The MIDI Mapper is always used by Windows for multimedia playback of MIDI files (such as the MIDI player component of the Media Player program that comes with Windows).

You can also run into trouble if you select the MIDI mapper and other devices for use by playback in NWC. The trouble is caused by having the MIDI Mapper trying to use the same device as is explicitly listed in NWC. The important point is that it is best to use the MIDI Mapper by itself in NWC for playback. Use the Multimedia applet to change the device that is used by playback. This way, your base Windows multimedia will sound better too (as well as the NoteWorthy Player playback).