Skip to main content
Topic: Notes that hold over because of glitches (Read 6004 times) previous topic - next topic

Notes that hold over because of glitches

It seems whenever I write something in Noteworthy, and I use playback, one of the notes holds over for a long time and I never wanted that to happen. How can I fix this?

Re: Notes that hold over because of glitches

Reply #1
Most likely explanation: You have tied a note across a measure line, but the accidental is different on either side of the measure bar.

Reply #2
You can find it by searching (F3)

Reply #3
It can sometimes also happen if you inadvertently have the same note on the same midi channel occurring simultaneously in different staves.

Reply #4
How 'bout this one:
Some of us have seen a note tied over "into nothing," usually in a percussion part ("l.v. - let ring").
Well, I got this chart last week that has that kind of thing in the horn parts - a note tied over "into nothing."
To accomplish this visually, I tied the note to a hidden grace note and muted it.  Turns out that if the note is muted, there is no "off" signal, and the note holds over until F6 is pressed.
Whoda thunk it.

Oh, and having a hidden grace note in the same measure as a whole rest causes the whole rest to be uncentered.  Still workin' on how to fix that one...

Reply #5
I think the whole rest is always positioned to the left side of the measure, isn't it?

If you want to move it to the right, you can insert hidden grace rests or hidden grace notes to the left of the rest sign. You instead could insert text, with blank spaces/preserve width, giving a more predictable result without interfering with playback.

Reply #6
I think the behaviour of a note tied to a muted note must have something to do with ones soundcard. My experimaent showed that the note did not start sounding until the muted note was reached, and then cut off at the right point! But I don't understand why you would want to mute the last note anyway. Just hiding it should be sufficient to produce the hanging tie. Indeed if you chorded the hidden note with a rest, then you could make the hidden (ringing) note as long as you like.

There is, as you point out, a bug with the placement of the whole note rest. It should appear in the middle of the bar (and normally does), and a hidden grace note or two shouldn't change that.

Reply #7
In printed sheet music, I've often seen the whole rest positioned left of center in a measure. It seems to be placed where the first beat note would be, if there had been several notes on the beats.

But I've also seen it in the center.

Reply #8
In NWC, a whole note will automatically center in a measure if it is alone in the measure. If you add other notes (even grace notes), the centering mechanism will not be applied.

Reply #9
Obviously that is the case, but could you not make an exception if everything else is hidden?

Reply #10
And I hope you mean a whole note rest ;-)

Reply #11
Yes, I meant a whole note rest.

Reply #12
"In NWC, a whole note will automatically center in a measure if it is alone in the measure. If you add other notes (even grace notes), the centering mechanism will not be applied."

and

"Yes, I meant a whole note rest."

That may be the intention, but it doesn't do that on my screen.  Both the whole note and the whole rest sit at the left in a 4/4 bar.

Is there an option that I may have accidentally turned on?

Reply #13
Let me rephrase that.  In the edit window the whole rest and the whole note appear on the left.  In the preview window, I get mixed results.

Reply #14
David: The edit screen is not WYSIWYG.
Anyway these problems are not really mistakes in the software, afterall NWC has:
<Image Link>
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #15
OK, I'll crawl over to the preview screen...

Seriously, I wrote that I get mixed results in the preview screen - that is wysiwyg, I hope.