Skip to main content
Topic: How to code rapidly repeated arpeggiation or octave tremolo/ (Read 5948 times) previous topic - next topic

How to code rapidly repeated arpeggiation or octave tremolo/

What I am trying to notate is the practice of playing octaves or even chords rapidly on a keyboard instrument. Often notated with, e.g. ,halfnotes connected with 64th note beams but only taking up the time space for a single half note. Sorry I don't know the proper term for this but I am trying to duplicate a score for the purposes of transposition. Can anyone tell me how to do this with Noteworthy or where the description might be found in some documentation somewhere? If you describe a process, a very detailed outline would be very helpful since I am just really getting started with Noteworthy.

Re: How to code rapidly repeated arpeggiation or octave tremolo/

Reply #1
NoteWorthy does not natively support tremolos. There are work arounds that people use so that what you see on the screen is not what is played. This is done with hidden staffs playing the what you would expect to hear and visual muted staffs showing what you would expect to see.

However, where the tremolo is notated so that there are two half notes separated by numerous bars with the two half notes taking the time space of only one, (for example) this then gives other problems.  You would then have to use chords with rests to achieve this. This then gives an ugly appearance since for every tremolo, you also have a chorded rest. (You also have to use an additional user font to supply the tremolo bars).

If you do not want your music to look like this, then another option would be to use a musical font as a user font and then insert the notes as text on the visual staff. But then you may very well have problems with stem up and stem down notes unless both have been configured in the font you are using.

All in all, what you are trying to  achieve is quite difficult and if all you want to do is to transpose for yourself, then you are better off just notating the piece as it sounds and then transposing. However, if you are transposing for other people to look at the music, this will be much more difficult and I would suggest that it would be quite difficult if you do not have experience of hidden staffs, layering (perhaps), using user fonts.

Other users I'm sure will add their thoughts and some may have other ideas of how to do this, but I fear that none of them will be easy.
Rich.

Reply #2
For the visible three slash line, use text.  Boxmarks or the Boxmark2 fontavailable on the Scriptorium,   lowercase letter o will give you the slashes.  You can make these fonts "userfonts" from the file/page setup/fonts tab.

You could place it between the note stems, I guess, placed with right alignment, best fit, do not preserve width.  You will need to experiment a bit to find the right combination and font size. 

Mute the visible bar, and use alternating notes of whatever value you need for playback, in a hidden staff.

It seems to me this is quite straightforward with two half notes in a bar.  I don't recall if I've ever seen two whole notes in the same bar with the tremolo sign.  To work around the problem of aligning bars, I'd enter both whole notes, without using a bar line between them.  Then double the tempo for this new megabar only.  In your other staff, pad the value of the written notes with hidden rests.

Top staff:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Tempo|Tempo:120|Pos:14|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-2
|Text|Text:"o"|Font:User2|Pos:8|Justify:Right
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:5
|Bar
|Tempo|Tempo:240|Pos:14|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:7
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Bottom staff (I've added some preserved width white space to fill out the bar, since hidden rests won't occupy space, and the third visible lower staff note will align with the second whole note in the staff above:

|Clef|Type:Bass
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:4th|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:"    "|Font:User3|Pos:0|Wide:Y|Visibility:Always
|Bar

Reply #3
I quite like that idea David. I think there would need to be an invisible time sig as well so that an audit of bar lines did not put bar lines where they are not wanted.

Also the quarter notes sound somewhat staccato so I think, mute them and have a hidden staff with 4 half notes playing rather than the 4 quarternote/rest combinations. This then sounds exactly the same as the quarter notes on either side.
Rich.

Reply #4
Richard & David,

I put in a couple of spaces after the boxmark2 "o" and got better spacing.  It strikes me that, with a little work, a user tool might be helpful & possible.  Also note that instead of the whole notes or semi-breves, I did minims or half-notes without their stems.  Not using a truly straight bat, certainly, but it works.

|Text|Text:"o  "|Font:User2|Pos:0|Justify:Right
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0|Opts:StemLength=0
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=0
|Bar
|TimeSig|Signature:Common

Robin

Reply #5
...I found out just now that you can lengthen the lines between the notes thus
Code: [Select · Download]
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0|Opts:StemLength=0
|Text|Text:"o  "|Font:User2|Pos:1|Justify:Right
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=0
|Bar

Robin

Reply #6
Back in NWCv1 I got reasonable effects by layering the two notes on spearate staves.  See the following three clips, the upper two are to be layered and muted, the third hidden and sounding.  Font:User2 is boxmarks.

|Text|Text:"  o "|Font:User2|Pos:-3|Placement:AsStaffSignature
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Text|Text:"     o "|Font:User2|Pos:-5|Placement:AsStaffSignature
|Note|Dur:Half,Dotted|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down

|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:8|Opts:XNoteSpace=3
|Note|Dur:Half,Dotted|Pos:6|Opts:XNoteSpace=3

|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:8|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:32nd|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Bar|Style:Double

It is a bit fussy getting things to line up, and seems to differ between NWCv1 and NWCv2.  These have been tweaked for v2.  I'm not sure all the spaces I used are needed, as I said this is from a rather old NWCv1 file, with some of the warts filed off.

Reply #7
I appreciate all the replies! Now its time for me to get to work and see if I can make these work for me. I have already installed the Boxmark font and I'm working on making use of it. Then I'll start on the processes you have provided.

Again, Thanks!

Dick

Reply #8
Robin,
...I found out just now that you can lengthen the lines between the notes thus

The challenge with your way is getting the paired sets of tremolo signs to line up and leave no gap.  You could try is increasing the userfont size, needing only one text entry instead of two.

Robin (sorry to call you twice), one of the user fonts has noteheads.  You could use the hidden notehead option, stem length zero, aligned with the next Sunday. 

Cyril, I like your idea of placing the text before the note, and putting blank space in.  I found I had to add a little more white space, rather than take any away from the text entry. 

Rich, I agree

I had some other profound pearl of wisdom to deliver in addition to the above.  However, it's very late at night and I keep dozing off as I type.  Another day, another dollar.

Reply #9
One of the maddening things about Noteworthy is that often, what appears on the print preview is not what you see otherwise.  Thus, I've discovered that one can't lengthen the beams in boxmarks by putting them in twice. 

A realtremolo feature would be nice. I'm writing something now that has a marimba part in it. There may not be too many places for a tremolo, but there will be some.  Unlike many people, I'm not too concerned with playback (midi sounds make me crazy, anyway), so workarounds for the purposes of the looks of things are fine, but they take time.  As I have had very little success in getting my modest wishlist  items made into reality, I won't make a formal suggestion...

One more thing: I'm getting used to & liking the new forum.  Took me a while to get hip to what was going on, but I'm liking it now.

Reply #10
The challenge with your way is getting the paired sets of tremolo signs to line up and leave no gap. 
What about using a sixteenth note on beat one and another on beat three (doesn't matter what's between - it will be hidden], with no heads on the notes [I know - not possible in version 1], and half-note heads inserted as text?
(If this option is previously mentioned and I can't see it, please forgive - I'm [shadow=beige,left]groggy  [/shadow] also...)

Reply #11
K.A.T.

You're a genius!  I'm an idiot for not thinking of this.  Isn't there a Nobel for music?....No?  Too bad.

Robin

Reply #12
Here's a layered solution.

First staff:
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0z|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=10,Beam=First
|Rest|Dur:4th,DblDotted|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:5z|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=8,Beam=End
|Rest|Dur:4th,Dotted|Opts:Stem=Down|Visibility:Never

Second...
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Down
|Bar

tableau!

Reply #13
For the visible three slash line, use text.  Boxmarks or the Boxmark2 fontavailable on the Scriptorium,   lowercase letter o will give you the slashes.  You can make these fonts "userfonts" from the file/page setup/fonts tab.

You could place it between the note stems, I guess, placed with right alignment, best fit, do not preserve width.  You will need to experiment a bit to find the right combination and font size. 

Mute the visible bar, and use alternating notes of whatever value you need for playback, in a hidden staff.

It seems to me this is quite straightforward with two half notes in a bar.  I don't recall if I've ever seen two whole notes in the same bar with the tremolo sign.  To work around the problem of aligning bars, I'd enter both whole notes, without using a bar line between them.  Then double the tempo for this new megabar only.  In your other staff, pad the value of the written notes with hidden rests.

Top staff:
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:7
|Bar

Bottom staff (I've added some preserved width white space to fill out the bar, since hidden rests won't occupy space, and the third visible lower staff note will align with the second whole note in the staff above:

|Clef|Type:Bass
|Bar
|Bar

Reply #14
Sorry. 

I was trying to edit my earlier post to put the bold face in, but I guess I ended up posting the whole darned thing as a quote in a new message.

Sigh.  Mea culpa.