Skip to main content
Topic: Last time to Coda (Read 6792 times) previous topic - next topic

Last time to Coda

I am just keying the song book notes into this NWC, there is the words " Last time to Coda" I do not see this among the flow direction command.

The 2nd thing is the words CD:39 on the box and beside it it says "Rytemitic half note =c.a 76"

Anyone can help me?. I want to use  this software to practice our Choir.

Frank

Re: Last time to Coda

Reply #1
Place the normal to coda sign where it should be, then hide it.

Add your text in an appropriate font, and you can use text for the gunsight, too.  It's in the user font NWC2STDA, near the end of the alphabet.

Can't help you on the time signature thing, sorry.

Reply #2
I've been wanting "q = ca. 120" to be available in this program for a long time, in addition to "q = 120-128."
I know that MIDI needs an exact number, but I need it just for printing purposes, and I want to do it without any kind of hack.

Reply #3
What does the c.a or the ca mean?  If it's "circa," it would mean "approximately" wouldn't it?

Your computer wouldn't be able to understand it, so you might as well use text.  Check out the user fonts available on the Scriptorium.

If you're just looking for a regular metronome mark, that is a note, an equal sign, and a number, without any range or approximation, then just use T for the tempo command.

Reply #4
The "ca." does mean "approximately."
Sometimes that shows up in scores/parts, and I would like to be able to replicate that.
[abbr=I know that MIDI needs an exact number - see previous reply.]I know my computer wouldn't be able to understand it[/abbr].
I'm not just looking for a regular metronome mark.
I need the other options more frequently than you apparently do.
I would like the tempo command to have little check boxes in the dialog box for these options.

I meant what I wrote
And I wrote what I meant.
An elephant's faithful 100%!

Reply #5
Reminds me of a nursery rhyme my mother used to say:

I paid the gentleman 50 cents,
To see the elephant jump the fence,
The elephant jumped the fence so high,
He didn't come down 'til the 4th of July.

That was from HER childhood, so I'd suggest that little ditty is at least 90 years old, anyway.

Reply #6
I still can not not understand what you guys explained, maybe because I am native Indonesian.  Too many jargons. Could you just explain it plainly?. We want to use NWC to help practice our church choral. We used it last Sabbath.

Also I have another problem as I ever mentioned the other day that in Indonesia to be able us to study the song, we connverted the note to number note such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, i, we pronoucned it " do, re, me, pa, sol, la , ti , do " hence we put it as lyric, but some times if the note should be up a half (sharp), the number should be slashed, and I do not a special character say number 4 to be slashed. Anyone can help me how can we make a special character?, I am not sure if you understand my question.

Thanks for your help to the minority in Indonesia.

Frank

Reply #7
Hi Frank,
I am just keying the song book notes into this NWC, there is the words " Last time to Coda" I do not see this among the flow direction command.

As David said, there is no specific "Last time to coda" flow direction, but you can use the "to coda" one.  It will do what you need.

If you want the exact same words to appear you can change the visibility of the "to coda" by highlighting it and then press <Alt><Enter>, click the "visibility" tab, select "never" from the "Show on printed page" pull down list.

Then you can enter text at the same location to say "Last time to coda".  Press X, type in your text, select your preferred font from the list box and you can use options on the other tabs to select placement if you want to refine things.

The 2nd thing is the words CD:39 on the box and beside it it says "Rytemitic half note =c.a 76"

I don't know what the CD:39 means so I can't help you there but the "Rytemitic half note =c.a 76" probably means to set the tempo to half note (minim) = 76.  The c.a normally means "about" but NWC doesn't understand that so you have to be specific.

To insert a tempo mark, position the cursor where you want it, press T, select "Half" from the pull down box, change the tempo: box to 76 and press enter.

Again if you want the actual text to appear then you can hide the tempo marking and insert a text entry to say what you want.  Do it the same way as described above for the flow direction.

Also I have another problem as I ever mentioned the other day that in Indonesia to be able us to study the song, we connverted the note to number note such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, i, we pronoucned it " do, re, me, pa, sol, la , ti , do " hence we put it as lyric, but some times if the note should be up a half [sharp], the number should be slashed, and I do not a special character say number 4 to be slashed. Anyone can help me how can we make a special character?

I'm not sure if you are wanting a specific shape of slashed number or if a normal slash like / or \ over a number will do.

If you are happy to use a normal slash then I think I can help.

First enter your numbers as lyrics as usual.

Next, for the numbers that need a slash, place a text entry just before where the number appears on the staff.

To do this, place the cursor just before the note the number appears under.  Press X to open the text dialogue.  Click the "Text Expression" tab if it is not already active, type in the slash you want, select the "Staff Lyric" font from the "Display Font" list box, click the "Expression placement" tab, choose "center" in the "justification" list box, choose "At next note/bar" from the "Alignment/Placement" list box and make sure that the "preserve width" check box is _not_ checked.

You may need to adjust the vertical position of the slash.  Highlight the text and use <shift><ctrl><arrow> to move it up or down.

Reply #8
Thank you very much Lawrie. What a very good explanation you gave me. Anyway your explanation can work for version 1.75b? or for version 2, because I do not see Display font on my ver. 1.75b.. Is there any special character in the display font?

Thanks & Regards,

Frank

Reply #9
Hi Frank,
its my pleasure to try and help.  The instructions given will work exactly the same for both versions.

The "Display Font" list box is on the text properties page on the "Text Expression" tab.  It will have choices like "Staff Italic" and "Staff Bold" and "User 1" available.

Select your text expression, press <Alt-Enter>, click the "Text Expression" tab if it is not already on top and the "Display Font" list box is the lowest one on the page.

If you want to use a "user defined" font then you need to first define one on the "Fonts" tab on the page setup dialogue (click File, Page Setup).

You can define up to 6 user defined fonts.  This is how you can use some of the extra fonts that people have designed like "Boxmark2" and "NWC Extra Ornaments" which are available on the Scriptorium here.

Obviously you will need to install any new fonts you want to use.  Normal Windows font management applies.

After you define a user font you can use it by selecting the appropriate "User n" from the "Display Font" list box.

Please remember that user font definitions are stored in each NWC file, they are not global.

Lawrie

Reply #10
Again, thank you very much Lawrie, it's more and more clear it now to me. NWC could be very helpful to us in our choir practice. The only thing is it still takes long for me to key in the song book. When I follow thru this forum, there is a scanning software named Smarteyes. The cost is about 50$. Is it good for NWC?, because actually I am very busy as a Finance Mgr in a foreign company , but I want my church choir more advanced. So it has been approved by our church board to buy this NWC and addtional scanning software in order to reduce labor to key in. What is new in NWC2 is it better?, with addtional cost of 15$ and scanning software 50$, we still can afford it. My e-mail address is hfsitumo@indosat.net.id

Thanks & Regards,

Frank

Reply #11
Hi Frank,
glad things are becoming clearer for you.

As for Sharpeye; I have tried using it but my source documents weren't great so I had a _lot_ of corrections to make.  If your song books are very clear you will probably be OK.

With all the corrections I had to make I found that I could enter the music faster at the keyboard for shorter works.

With practice you can get _very_ fast at keyboard entry.

Perhaps some others on this forum can contribute their experience with Sharpeye.

There is a trial version so I would test it before commiting to purchasing it.

NWC2 has lots of improvments, especially for the "hard core" user but is still in beta test.  That being said, I am no longer using 1.75 to produce any music. I use NWC2 exclusively and haven't had any real problems as far as reliability is concerned.

One of the biggest advantages for me is the "user tools".  There are several tools that other users have made (particularly Andrew Purdams' "Global_Mod" and "Parts" tools) and a little creative use of them makes arrangeing the things I do much easier.

Lawrie

Reply #12
Thanks Lawrie for all your explanation. When I tried to put for ward or back slash over the number it can not position exactly on that number although I used Shift_control-up or down, left or right arrows. More over the diamond beside the slash, usualy we interpret it as a rest. Do you have anyway to hide the diamond?.

Thanks & Regards,

Frank

Reply #13
Hi Frank,
I'm not quite sure what you mean with the positioning problems.

You may need to try a couple of things:
a) the justification of the text item (the slash) - the description I gave you said to centre it - perhaps you need to left or right justify.  It might help to add a space into the text expression.

b) the font size for the lyrics as well as the text item - you may need to adjust the relationship.

c) the vertical placement of the lyrics, this is controlled by the staff properties: visual tab, vertical size: lower

Check the print preview for final alignment choice, what you see in the editor is _not quite_ what you see on the printer.

As for the diamond, it does not print.  It is only there to assist you in selecting items to manipulate them on screen.  I don't think it can be hidden in the editor.

Lawrie

Reply #14
Hi Lawrie, thanks for all your explanations, one thing if you could help me. I hear the song and I can follow it, but I do not have the note of it. I want to ask the pianist to play it for me, when I am singing, but she does not have the scores. I have  the wave song in casette tape, how can we convert it to NWC so that the pianist can play it for me when I am singing in the church.

Thanks

Frank

Reply #15
Hi Frank,
ummm, the short answer is "you can't".

The long answer is "There are tools around that might help but in the long run the only practical way is to have your pianist listen to the tape and try to learn it 'by ear'.  The pianist or another skilled instrumental musician may also be able to listen to the tape and make a guess at the chords being used.  A guitarist will likely be able to tell you the chords fairly easily, as could a good pianist.  With the chord structures in place it would then be fairly easy to add the melody notation."

There are "wav to midi" converters out there but they are really only any good if there is only a single voice in the wav file.  Once the wave form gets more complicated than that it becomes extremely difficult to extract the data to create a midi.

If you could locate an existing midi of the song NWC will import it for you.  There is often a bit of work to tidy it up but at least the basic structure is there to work from.

Search the web, you might be surprised what you turn up... "google (or your preferred search engine) is your friend".

If anyone else has a better idea please speak up.

Lawrie