Skip to main content
Topic: NWC to MS Word (Read 7668 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC to MS Word

Now comes the next step: doing musical examples in NoteWorthy Composer and then transferring them to a typescript in Microsoft Word. Can anyone tell me (step by step--just naming some procedure I don't yet know how to do won't help) how to go about this? This is the thing that will determine whether NWC will meet my needs.

Re: NWC to MS Word

Reply #1
Assuming you're running the latest version of NWC

1. In 'options' turn off 'title page info' (unless you want the whole page). If you want just a snippet of music then it's best if that's the only thing in the file - it's more complex to select something from a larger image, but it is possible!
2. Go into print preview.
3. Select copy and (for simplicity) 'clipboard'; 'metafile' works as well but there are more steps.
4. In Word go to the desired insertion point and press 'Control V'.
5. The image will be too big (probably). Right click on it and select 'format picture' and 'picture'. You can now crop the picture to size. You can also resize (i.e. magnify)it in the 'size' tab if you want.
6. Select 'wrapping' and probably 'square style' and 'both sides' and there you have your image in the middle of the text.

Don't try to edit the picture however - it tends to fall apart!

Reply #2
> 5. The image will be too big (probably).

It shouldn't be. We made changes in version 1.70 that corrected the problems found in earlier versions.

---------------------------------
Bug: Print Preview Copy sends improper sizing information to the clipboard.

---------------------------------

Reply #3
If you can find a printer driver that allows custom page sizes, you can select the exact size and shape of your example without having to crop or scale it. I used the "MS Publisher Imagesetter" and selected a page size of 25mmx50mm with staff size of 20pts to generate a short sequence of notes.

I had a quick look around a Windows distribution CD to try and find a "standard" printer with customisable page sizes. There wasn't anything obvious. If you find one, install it on your system as "print to file" and use Printer Setup in NWC to select a suitable page size. Don't forget to reset your margins.

Reply #4
I didn't mean to imply that the picture was too 'too big', but I like a bit of excess margin for safety, which can then be cropped.

Instead of setting a custom page size it is easier, I think, to set the margins in the options tab with small top and left margins, and quite large bottom and right ones.

I didn't cover WMF files, but for the record:

3. Save as a WMF file.

4. In Word choose 'Insert/Picture/From File'. Also choose 'Link to File'. Then if you change the NWC snippet you can recopy it to the original WMF file, and then in Word choose 'Edit/Links' Select the link and update it.

Reply #5
Woohoo! Congrats Noteworthy!

Now I can copy straight from Print Preview to
Word; awesome! A 5 minute saving in one!

Now we need to do is increase the width of the Page Setup window from 410 to ~500 so I don't have to click that dinky little arrow every time I want to copy out one of every 16 or so parts in a work. :-)

On another thing (not a Noteworthy thing) how do I set Word 97 to paste in with "Float Over Text" unselected by default? ...so that it gets treated like an object instead? (to illustrate how I tried to find a solution myself, after changing an image to "float Over Text" off I was unable to select "Set Autoshape Defaults" when right clicking the picture.)

Thank you! Have a wonderful day.

ah choo.

Reply #6
Quick add-on for those strange people (typically lawyer/songwriters) who still use Wordperfect. Technique also works fine also in Wordperfect. Full page sizing is simple. Simply right click the graphic after importing, select size, full width and height. The page is instantly converted to a uniform full page size.

Reply #7
If you email as attachment the Word document to another person, if he does not have the Noteworthy and other fonts (Crescendo, Boxmarks, etc) that are used in creating the music, he will not be able to view and print the music. It will appear only as staves with no noteheads, clef signs, etc.

Simply send him the required fonts, NWCV15.ttf, Boxmarks.ttf, Crescendo.ttf, which are in your fonts folder. The recipient must install these in his Fonts folder, and he is ready to go.

This method does solve one problem... after you go to all the trouble to set up your margins, etc, editing for appearance, if your NWC file is opened using a different printer, the layout is all different. But if it is saved as a *.wmf, and viewed and printed from Word or ACDSee, everything is fixed in position as you intended.

Another advantage, if you save all the individual parts as wmf's, and insert all into the same Word document, to print you simply open the file and hit the printer icon. One simple step.

Reply #8
Good point Paul.

You are making good a case for the third-party fonts to be included with the installation or (better) an NWC marks font incorporated with NWC.

Reply #10
Paul: Nice work, and clearly explained. I have a question for you: Did you make the text-with-staffs part of your web page by saving as HTML from MSword, or some other method? The save-as-HTML from MSword will convert images to GIF, but I never had good results (to my satisfaction) with the image quality, compared to other technologies at my disposal. Yet I see that your staff images were about as good as can be expected.

Reply #11
Well.... to be honest, Harri, the webmaster, does all that. He has me submit my articles to Sax On The Web in MS Word, and he takes it from there. I think there is a way in Word to make your web pages.

Reply #12
Stephan: If you only want to insert a single line as a musical example you may do as I do...

(1) Highlight the measures to be inserted into MS Word.

(2) In the toolbar, click Edit, and click Copy Special.

(3) Open your Word document, and place your blinking cursor where you want the musical example to be placed.

(4) Right click and click paste, OR, use the keyboard shortcut, Ctrl V.

You may have to grab the corners and resize. Left click on the example, and a box will appear around it. Resize it.

The music will be printed in blue. So, right click on the musical example, and in the Picture tab, where it says Color, click the drop down and chose Black & White. Click OK. Now the example is printed in black. To get rid of the box, hit the Enter key. Continue typing your text.

Reply #13
Aha! So, I went and asked a webmaster (not my own, someone else's) and he showed me what to do. I had been using some sort of funky settings on my computer that were ruining my attempts to save as HTML with images converted to acceptable-looking GIF. It was a user-specific problem due to incompatible printing applications. You steered me in the right direction. Thanks.

Reply #14
I have found that the simplest way to cut and paste extracts from noteworthy composer is to hit the Print Screen button on your computer. This stores the whole screen on the clipboard. Then you can paste it in to what ever word document you require. Of course you have to paly around with the cropping in order to get the extract how you want.

However this method bypasses all the problems associated with incompatible fonts etc and you can then e-mail your final document as per normal. Without worrying whether or not letters appear instead of notes.

Reply #15
Whoa! My earlier reply on this message thread was in year 2000 - and I'm still here!

The NWC program has evolved a lot in the intervening time.