Skip to main content
Topic: Chord diagrams (Read 6996 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord diagrams

How do I place Chord diagrams above the trebel cleff? There must be a way. Anyone know?

Thanks Larry

Re: Chord diagrams

Reply #1
NWC doesn't support chord charts directly.
However, if you are sure of what key your gonna be in, you can use a chord font like Seville and enter the chords as place text. This seems to work fine once you know what chord corresponds to which character. Transposition is a pain, tho'.

A

Reply #2
Where can I get Seville font? And Jazz font?
Thanks for the attention.
Marco Losavio

Reply #3
Try using a search engine to find the specific fonts you're looking for. There are several shareware fonts (but not the ones you mention) on the NWC Scriptorium.

Click on "Other Helpful Files"

Good luck!

Reply #4
How can i learn the notes on the base and trebel cleff so i can rember them?

Reply #5
Treble spaces - F A C E
Treble lines Every Good Boy Does Fine

Bass spaces - A C E G (Not a great acronym)
Bass lines - Good Boys Do Fine Acts ( or make up your own!)

Reply #6
Bass spaces:

All Cows Eat Grass (or so my music teacher told me!)

Reply #7
Very nice. The ones out my back window confirm what your music teacher told you. Back to the original topic - Chord diagrams. I suppose one of you ambitious types could make a font of chord diagrams. Also, I saw a program for sale in Circuit City that did support them; don't remember the name(Music Writer??), or how it compared to NWC in other ways.If that's really important to you, then I guess the (cow eating)grass may be greener elsewhere. I'll stick with NWC, thank you.

Reply #8
Don't know about yours, but when it comes to eating grass, the cows around here are outstanding in their field.

Back OT, there is presently a guitar chords font by Steve Allen in beta. The latest version that's been posted AFAIK is still available on the newsgroup, in his post of 6 June 2000.

Reply #9
Which window? the one I'm looking at cows through?

Reply #10
I have seen TrueType fonts with guitar frets posted on download sites, presumably free, but one can't be sure if they were pirated. I'd refer you but since I don't play guitar, I didn't keep the fret fonts. Try a keyword search.

However, I haven't come across a font with note-head (piano) chords. Apparently all (or nearly all) music publishing programs, including NWC, construct them dynamically from user input.

Reply #11
You know how with Noteworthy you can choose the key
signature in that window? I like that. It's cool.
The same could be done for guitar chords which are
changed in transposition same as the key signature.
shouldn't be too hard? :) *hint* *hint*
have a nice day. [bug]

Reply #12
I have a font called "Seville" - dont know where it came from possibly a legacy from long-since uninstalled program.
It seems to have fret diagrams of major/minor chords based on the character typed in.
Is this what your looking for?

Reply #13
For what it's worth, my recollection is that Seville was distributed with a notation program (Finale?) and is copyrighted.

Reply #14
Jazzfont.com has some cool looking fonts, including Jazzcord and Swingcord. not free, though.

Reply #15
Regarding fret fonts for guitar:

There are fonts called "frets", "frets A", "frets B", and "frets C". I am not sure whether these are free, shareware, or whatever. Decide for yourself. A font MAY be free even if it has a copyright notice, depending on what the copyright holder has to say about that. Here are a couple of URLs that I found with a search engine:

http://www.fontfreak.com/ding-f.htm

http://www.dingbatpages.com/arts/music.html