Skip to main content
Topic: Where did the icons go? (Read 2630 times) previous topic - next topic

Where did the icons go?

The icons that designate NWC files--you know,the green one with four eighth notes and a keyboard--all disappeared today. Not the files, just the icons, and they were all replaced by a white background with a black square in the middle--a pirate flag, maybe? The icon is still there in the NWC software: I found it with the Iconsuck program. But it is not being applied to the actual NWC files any more. Was gibt?

Stephen

Re: Where did the icons go?

Reply #1
G'day Stephen,
that will probably be a file association issue.  Likely your registry has a bug.

You could try a reboot to see if it is transient.

Have you recently installed any software that may have messed up the file association?

Actually, an easy way to test is double click on an NWC file and see if it opens correctly.  If so then the association is basically OK.

If the association is broken you could try (re)installing the NWC2 Viewer.  This might repair it for you.

If the association is OK you can open an Explorer window, select |Tools|Folder Options|File types Tab, locate the NWC extension in the list, highlight it and click the "Advanced" button.  In the dialogue that opens you can click a "Change Icon" button and select whatever icon you want.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Howdy Pardner!
Or, you could open your NWC files menu , right click on a file, go to "open with" from the drop down menu, then right click on "Choose a Program". Choose NWC, then underneath the program choices click the box that says "always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Doesn't always work but I think that is what I did last time that happened to me. In fact remembering back, I think I had to uninstall Real Player first, because I could not break the association it made with the midi files.

Reply #3
It is generally better to avoid the Windows override facility for file associations. In the case of NWC, configuring the override will prevent standard operation of the NWC launcher included in the NWC Viewer program, among other things.