Skip to main content
Topic: Comments on NoteWorthy Composer 2.75 Beta Preview 2  (Read 3102 times) previous topic - next topic

Comments on NoteWorthy Composer 2.75 Beta Preview 2

I am not quite sure where to put comments on the new beta release...

I really appreciate the template folder location being customizable again. :)

Anyway, I think the print preview needs some improvement. All in all, I really like the new print preview very much. Only the the zoom levels appear somewhat inconvenient on my screen (1024x768 pixels). On the first zoom level, I can see the whole page but cannot read small fonts such as lyrics. On the other two zoom levels, however, I only see details in strong magnification.

Therefore, I would appreciate at least one more zoom level, where the page width fits the window width as in earlier versions of Noteworthy Composer.

Re: NoteWorthy Composer 2.51 Print Preview Zoom

Reply #1
The changes to Print Preview were introduced in NWC 2.51
Try the plus and minus keys to change zoom. Zoom 2 is fit width (with a small border).
The number of zoom levels depend on the printer that you are using with NWC.

There are other ways to change the zoom level.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Comments on NoteWorthy Composer 2.75 Beta Preview 2

Reply #2
Thank you. That's interesting, what a funny behaviour...
But the question remains, how to increase the number of zoom levels. Which printer parameter determines the number of zoom levels and how? Of course, I could try out all kinds of printer drivers until I get a satisfying result. But maybe someone could give me some hints, how to deliberately change the printer properties to get what I want.
Right now, I use a driver called PDF Creator which mimics a printer and "prints" into PDF files. I prefer creating PDF files before printing or sending my work to other people.

Thanks in advance for any help

Reply #3
That's interesting, what a funny behaviour...
Indeed. Maximizing the Print Preview window consistently decreases the number of zoom levels.

The size of the Print Preview window matters. Smaller windows cause more zoom levels. I would guess that monitor resolution enters into this. Maximum zoom seems to be one printer dot = one screen pixel. This means that higher res monitors will produce fewer zoom levels.

The maximum number of zoom levels appears to be 8
The minimum is 1

Which printer parameter determines the number of zoom levels and how?
Resolution (dpi) - higher values yield more zoom levels.
Paper Size - larger paper yields more zoom levels.
Orientation - the closer the paper matches the aspect ratio of the window, the fewer the zoom levels.

The short answer is that setting your print resolution above 720dpi and avoiding small paper sizes will usually result in 7 or 8 zoom levels.

Re: Comments on NoteWorthy Composer 2.75 Beta Preview 2

Reply #4
Thank you for finding out these things.

Although I still find the behaviour pretty confusing. I changed the dpi to 720 an got 5 zoom levels, but then at 1200 dpi I got 2(!) zoom levels, and finally at 3600 dpi I got 8 zoom levels, which is quite useful. But honestly, 3600 dpi is really a weird setting just to get a decent number of zoom levels. At least my printer cannot reach this resolution. :-o

So for the time being I think one can live with this workaround, but in the long run, the feature still needs improvement.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Reply #5
at 1200 dpi I got 2(!) zoom levels
I'd check that again. 2 levels is more consistent with 120dpi rather than 1200dpi.