Skip to main content
Topic: adding a new staff several bars into a piece (Read 3378 times) previous topic - next topic

adding a new staff several bars into a piece

Is it possible to write on one single staff (for say, a solo voice) until the full choir comes in....or the next voice part enters, which then goes onto 2 staffs, on to 3 and then to 4, as in a choral fugue? This isn't the same as forcing a line break...it is adding another staff without several pages of empty bars' rests?

Re: adding a new staff several bars into a piece

Reply #1
G'day Linda,
short answer - No

Longer answer - Yes, but...

It is not possible within NWC to do this, however there are "post processing" methods available that will allow you to achieve this as an end result.

Check out the following links:

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4864

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4899

There are other threads that address post editing but I can't find them quickly - basically, you "print" to a metafile and or "copy" from the preview page and insert/paste into another application.  OpenOffice, Word, Irfan View - take your choice.  Anything that will let you manipulate the metafile or edit the graphic.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: adding a new staff several bars into a piece

Reply #2
You can manipulate things like this a bit.I would plan to end up with two staves,one Sop/Alto (Tails up/tails down) and the other similarly Ten/Bass.I would enter them on separate staves as I would the solo and then layer them together, taking out unnecessary detail of rests etc with selection and "Never show on printed page". You probably will then only have the Bass Clef showing rows of rests until the other voices come in.I don't know how long the solo goes but the lyrics for this could be above the staff and the choir below the staff.You can of course put 'casual' lyrics in with Text but it is tricky, and the placement can vary between what shows in the editor, and what comes out on the printed page.Always check 'Print Preview'