NoteWorthy Composer Forum

Forums => General Discussion => Topic started by: Vile on 2003-03-03 03:44 am

Title: Some songs I've made with NWC
Post by: Vile on 2003-03-03 03:44 am
I've been using NWC to write midi's for a while now. I'm not sure if my songs are any good, but if you want to check them out you can download them here:
http://www.rpgland.com/music.html

My songs are under the name EKVile666. I don't know much about music theory, so my songs aren't very complicated. Actually come to think of it I don't know anything about music theory, and 90% of the posts on this forum go way over my head. Anyway, maybe you could take a listen and tell me what you think, and what I could do to improve.
Title: Re: Some songs I've made with NWC
Post by: Carl Bangs on 2003-03-03 08:23 am
You can post your Noteworthy songs on the Noteworthy newsgroup where they will receive supportive consideration from other users.
Post by: Robert A. on 2003-03-03 03:38 pm
If you read all the way to the bottom of the (above-listed) web page, you will see this notice:

"*Midis that are user created may NOT be used without permission from the creator, so no stealing!!*"

Indeed. I suggest that those wishing to post their creations on the web clearly indicate whether or not the item can be circulated or used for various purposes. A copyright notice does not necessarily prohibit other uses (copyright holder might grant free license, as I often do). Lack of copyright notice does not automatically grant permission, but there are a number of truly anonymous items out there, apparently intended for free circulation.
Post by: Vile on 2003-03-04 03:09 am
I'd post to the newsgroup(if I could), but judgeing from the posts there, it seems the kind of music I make really wouldn't be welcome there.
Post by: Damon on 2003-03-04 08:20 pm
Oh, I wouldn't say that.  Your music is what we call "Folk Music," though not in the traditional sense.  I've listened to a few of your MIDIs, and, while they do show that you have not studied music officially, you seem to have been studying in the natural way - listening to the music of others.  Though your music may never win any awards, it seems to come from where music is supposed to come from.
Keep it up!
Post by: Vile on 2003-03-05 02:32 am
Folk music? Now, I can see myself classified as metal or rock, but Folk? Please explain, you've just confused the hell out of me.

I have a *little* formal training in music theory, back from high school chorus, but music theory has always baffled me. So you're right, I just write music the 'natural' way.
Post by: Damon on 2003-03-05 09:00 pm
"Folk Music" is music that is created by "untrained people."
Over time, we have come to associate folk music with a certain style, a certain sound, but I do not mean to imply that your music sounds anything like that.  I just mean that you write your music without being tied down to any rules.
Post by: Fred Nachbaur on 2003-03-05 11:44 pm
Was it perhaps Hank Williams who said that all music is "folk" music, since he'd never heard music composed by a horse?
Post by: Cyril Alberga on 2003-03-06 04:39 am
I thought it was Woodie Guthrie.  But I don't have a reference at hand, at least not while bed calls.
Post by: FJH on 2003-03-28 03:15 am
Well....how do u get into this newsgroup? and where would the user's songs be posted?
Post by: Fred Nachbaur on 2003-03-28 06:03 am
As fortune would have it, the newsgroup has been having server difficulties since this thread was active. The good news is that NW Software has arranged for the newsgroup to continue on a new server.

See https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3243.msg19784#msg19784 for details.