Skip to main content
Topic: Any suggestion for sending NWC music to an VSTi? (Read 3395 times) previous topic - next topic

Any suggestion for sending NWC music to an VSTi?

Hi (I'm new to the forum --I'm evaluating NWC-- )

I'd like to use an VSTi sampler for playing (and recording) the music I create with NWC.

I know NoteWorthy doesn't support VSTi directly, but do you know of some free (or low cost) solution which would me allow to do it?

I tried two free VST hosts that can open MIDI files and send them to a VSTi while recording the result to an audio file: Cantabile (but causes a kernel panic in my laptop on XP!!) and TobyBear MiniHost (great app, but sometimes doesn't honor the tempo I set in Noteworthy, and also you've to push "rec" and "stop" buttons for recording the audio, so it's not 100% useful if you need exact sync of several audio tracks -I'll use Audacity for mixing several audio tracks, so I need exact sync at the start of the music).

Do you have any suggestions?

(It's surprising that music notation apps lack VSTi support... even Finale and Sibelius don't support it... they assume the limited Kontakt player they provide will satisfy all users, and that's not the case at all)

ces

Re: Any suggestion for sending NWC music to an VSTi?

Reply #1
G'day ces,
I know just about zilch about VSTi but if you are able to read a MIDI stream then perhaps something like MIDIYoke can help.

MIDIYoke is a virtual MIDI cable that can be mapped to connect MIDI inputs and outputs, it can also connect 1 input to several outputs...  It's more than that but that'll do for this question.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
You could use a VST Host Application connected to NWC via Tools, Options, MIDI. One example is Garritan Studio. You need a lot of computer horsepower to do this sort of thing. Remember to turn off NWC note chase, and any other features on your system that might eat into your computing power. More info can also be found at:

Using GPO with Noteworthy Composer
http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/NWC-tutorial.htm

If you are just trying to render your NWC created MIDI files into digital audio, you might find some other useful tips here:

FAQ - Making an audio CD of *.nwc files
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/49.htm

Reply #3
Thanks for all your comments. Yes, what I'm looking for is a (hopefully free, or at least low-cost) VST host that will allow me to record the output as audio without needing to manually press a "rec button".

Regarding computer horsepower, I've tried several free vst samplers with MiniHost, and my computer performs well, so no problem there.